Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

hertz rentals: can you use your own key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is only for the key fob? No way to add your own Phone key using this method correct?
correct.

Yes, that worked when we got the fobs, but has anyone had this work for rental cars It did not work for a rental in TX. Also when it worked was it an original fob or a new one? What year car? and what year fob?
you weren't clear that you had actually tried this on a rental and it didn't work. if that's the case, they must have it locked down somehow.

"has anyone had this work for rental cars?" this is literally the question I asked in the OP that I need someone to answer. if it doesn't work, there's no reason for me to take my fob with me on my trip in a few weeks and risk losing it.

Reactions: oliphant428
has anyone had this work for rental cars?" this is literally the question I asked in the OP that I need someone to answer. if it doesn't work, there's no reason for me to take my fob with me on my trip in a few weeks and risk losing it.
So if it does work you have no risk of losing it and it is OK to bring along? Why don't you just try it yourself and answer the question? I would guess you have a .00001% chance of this working as then anyone could clone a functioning key in 10 seconds. Must be implemented into rental cars just like I assume you cannot add an additional key to a loaner Tesla gives you while your car is in for repair.

So if it does work you have no risk of losing it and it is OK to bring along? Why don't you just try it yourself and answer the question? I would guess you have a .00001% chance of this working as then anyone could clone a functioning key in 10 seconds. Must be implemented into rental cars just like I assume you cannot add an additional key to a loaner Tesla gives you while your car is in for repair.

Sorry, didn't realize asking a question on a forum was frowned upon. My apologies, your highness.

I think some people are giving the idea that you could steal a car by doing this way too much weight, considering Hertz can easily track, disable, and recover the car via their own Tesla account if someone were to attempt that.

Last edited:
Yes I was able to add my 2021 Model S key fob to a Hertz Model 3 we are currently renting, no problem, you just have to confirm the connection after adding the key by tapping the Hertz-provided key card on the console, pretty much as detailed above. It will auto-unlock when approaching the car (with the fob) but I couldn't put it into drive without tapping the fob on the console, a minor annoyance. It's much more convenient than lugging around the key card, which is enclosed in a heavy plastic cover and attached (permanently) to a key chain, so no way to slip it into your wallet.

What they really need to do is provide some sort of access from the phone app. Being able to pre-warm the car in these frigid conditions (in the Northeast US) would've been extremely helpful.

For the skeptics, here's the screenshot:

IMG_4056.jpeg

Also, this is why you can't add a phone key - you need access to the car in your app, which they don't give you.

IMG_4057.jpeg

Yes I was able to add my 2021 Model S key fob to a Hertz Model 3 we are currently renting, no problem, you just have to confirm the connection after adding the key by tapping the Hertz-provided key card on the console, pretty much as detailed above. It will auto-unlock when approaching the car (with the fob) but I couldn't put it into drive without tapping the fob on the console, a minor annoyance. It's much more convenient than lugging around the key card, which is enclosed in a heavy plastic cover and attached (permanently) to a key chain, so no way to slip it into your wallet.

What they really need to do is provide some sort of access from the phone app. Being able to pre-warm the car in these frigid conditions (in the Northeast US) would've been extremely helpful.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm guessing the not being able to start the car is related to this being a Model S fob?

Agreed on the app stuff. I read somewhere it was in the works but Tesla rumors are always wild so who knows

The language in this Hertz Terms and Conditions around using another fob or keycard (than was provided with the rental) is odd:

Sharing the Key card or Key fob, using additional Key cards or Key fobs to charge the EV, or charging other vehicles is prohibited. Any misuse of the Key card or Key fob in breach of these Rental Terms will result in additional usage charges.

I’m renting a Model 3 from Hertz tonight, and was planning to bring my own M3/MY fob to add a key to the car for convenience.

Me adding an additional key in “Locks” has nothing do with charging, obviously, so I don’t know what Hertz is going on about here.

As long as I remove the added fob from Locks before return (just as I would erase other personal data just like any rental car), it shouldn’t matter to them, right?

(Model Y owner, previous Model 3 owner, 5th EV rental from Hertz)

Attachments

• 0F4844F6-C6C7-43EE-9CCA-B607F44B9A3F.jpeg
    0F4844F6-C6C7-43EE-9CCA-B607F44B9A3F.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 96
The language in this Hertz Terms and Conditions around using another fob or keycard (than was provided with the rental) is odd:

I’m renting a Model 3 from Hertz tonight, and was planning to bring my own M3/MY fob to add a key to the car for convenience.

Me adding an additional key in “Locks” has nothing do with charging, obviously, so I don’t know what Hertz is going on about here.

Successfully added my personal fob from my Model Y at home, to this Model 3 from Hertz tonight. All good, walkaway lock working as expected. 👍🏻

Car had 96% at pickup. A few previous driver profiles and Bluetooth pairings still present as usual. Glovebox not PIN locked like my previous Hertz Tesla rentals. Rattles like crazy from somewhere in back.

Oh, and I renamed the car. ✅

Hertz, download and install your updates regularly, please. Had to relearn a few old things that are different from my updated car #firstworldproblems

And spring for Premium Connectivity, will ya? This is a premium rental.

Attachments

• 349C39C6-4D8B-48E4-9CBF-24712E692883.jpeg
    349C39C6-4D8B-48E4-9CBF-24712E692883.jpeg
    563.2 KB · Views: 92
  • A16BA192-F87F-4D77-B29A-D61CD4A33831.jpeg
    A16BA192-F87F-4D77-B29A-D61CD4A33831.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 108
Successfully added my personal fob from my Model Y at home, to this Model 3 from Hertz tonight. All good, walkaway lock working as expected. 👍🏻

Car had 96% at pickup. A few previous driver profiles and Bluetooth pairings still present as usual. Glovebox not PIN locked like my previous Hertz Tesla rentals. Rattles like crazy from somewhere in back.

Oh, and I renamed the car. ✅

Hertz, download and install your updates regularly, please. Had to relearn a few old things that are different from my updated car #firstworldproblems

And spring for Premium Connectivity, will ya? This is a premium rental.

the premium connectivity thing was incredibly annoying...i'm glad they at least added the "stay connected in drive" option for wifi, so that i could keep it connected to my hotspot and keep streaming after i signed in to spotify.

sad that it took me three days into a four day rental to notice that option staring at me on the wifi screen after i spent the first three days connecting it manually each time, but it is what it is...

Reactions: starship42
the premium connectivity thing was incredibly annoying...i'm glad they at least added the "stay connected in drive" option for wifi, so that i could keep it connected to my hotspot and keep streaming after i signed in to spotify.

sad that it took me three days into a four day rental to notice that option staring at me on the wifi screen after i spent the first three days connecting it manually each time, but it is what it is...
Do the hertz employees even have access to the app for the car? I'm wondering if I could convince the employee or the manager to allow me to add myself as a driver or at least quickly set up my phone as a key with their app.

Do the hertz employees even have access to the app for the car? I'm wondering if I could convince the employee or the manager to allow me to add myself as a driver or at least quickly set up my phone as a key with their app.

i have no idea, but i don't see any way they'd allow you to do that. you'd have to keep the phone logged in to use the phone key, and that would effectively be giving you full access to their entire fleet.

i have no idea, but i don't see any way they'd allow you to do that. you'd have to keep the phone logged in to use the phone key, and that would effectively be giving you full access to their entire fleet.
On the app, each car has a manage driver section for that particular car only. That's the only thing you'd need access to from their app. Tesla needs to hurry up and give Hertz access to their loaner software.

Reactions: gt2690b
On the app, each car has a manage driver section for that particular car only. That's the only thing you'd need access to from their app. Tesla needs to hurry up and give Hertz access to their loaner software.

fair point, but you'd still have to have them set it up. i doubt they'll do that with the reasoning being if they do it for you, they'd have to do it for everyone else and it'd take too long. the time they would spend setting you up in the app could be spent getting 3 or 4 other random people out the door by just handing them the keys.

i do agree though that tesla needs to stop doing stupid nonsense like adding remote fart noises and add actual stuff that would help people daily, like allowing this for rentals.

fair point, but you'd still have to have them set it up. i doubt they'll do that with the reasoning being if they do it for you, they'd have to do it for everyone else and it'd take too long. the time they would spend setting you up in the app could be spent getting 3 or 4 other random people out the door by just handing them the keys.

i do agree though that tesla needs to stop doing stupid nonsense like adding remote fart noises and add actual stuff that would help people daily, like allowing this for rentals.
It does take a little time but with the software tesla has, they can do it right at the terminal. They did it with my loaner and it uploads your profile from your car and everything. Maybe they can do it with Tesla only customers as there is no reason for them to do it for non-tesla owners because they'd have to set up and app and all that.

It does take a little time but with the software tesla has, they can do it right at the terminal. They did it with my loaner and it uploads your profile from your car and everything. Maybe they can do it with Tesla only customers as there is no reason for them to do it for non-tesla owners because they'd have to set up and app and all that.

again though, why would they take the time to do that when they could get 3-4 regular customers out the door in that time period by just handing them the keys? especially when they can do the same thing for you by just handing you the key card?

in the current age of staffing shortages, they're not likely to do anything that is going to cost them extra time and manpower.

I just rented a Model 3 for my May trip to Boston. Surprised it came up as one of the cheaper options. Hey yeah!

Does anyone know if it's a standard or long range? I'm assuming standard but hopefully I'll be surprised.