Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hertz rental PIREP (pilot report!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just returned from a week in the Colorado mountains, driving an M3 from Hertz. For those that haven't done it based on the FUD out there, our experience was pretty much flawless. A few things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure the charging cable and adapter are in the frunk. Hertz will charge you if you return the car without them. When I checked in, I told the agent I wanted to verify the stuff was there. She had no idea what I was talking about and had to make 3 calls to find out, I was told to have any missing items noted when I checked out the car.

2) You have to return the car >70% SOC or they charge $35.

3) When you Supercharge, the $$ will appear in a subsequent invoice from Hertz. When I got the invoice just after I dropped the car, it had a $29 charge that I could not identify. When I called Hertz, the agent was clueless about the charge. When I insisted it get removed, she put me on hold and came back to tell me it Supercharging $$. Fine, but how about showing it as such?

4) When we dropped the car at DEN, the person checking in the sea of rentals said to just leave the key car on the console and leave. I told her NO WAY! I want proof that I gave you your Tesla back! She checked it in right there.

5) They give you the key card in a ridiculously large plastic case with the typical key ring tag. I just paired the card I carry in my wallet and left the big plastic beast in the hotel.

Overall, it was a really smooth experience and I loved not having to drive a dreaded ICE machine for a week. I took a few minutes to set up the car to mirror mine as much as possible (no premium connectivity) and was totally at home.

Attachments

• 2532965210_68b7244457_b.jpg
    2532965210_68b7244457_b.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 254
It’s hard to get charges reversed by Hertz. I wish supercharger sessions were itemized and listed - I recently rented an ICE (ewww) over a cheaper Tesla from Hertz bc I didn’t want to deal with Hertz making up supercharger costs

so, can you explain more about pairing my own key card? Any issue when trying to pair the card again with your own car afterwards?
The card itself doesn't store any data in it. You tell the car to accept the card. I believe the same card can thus be used for multiple cars without issue. Ideally you remove the pairing as you bring the car back but even that isn't mandatory.

looking at rentals in Vegas... the Tesla SR+ is well over $90 a day whereas my average midsize car is $40 .. plus i get upgraded for free into something larger as presidents circle member.

imho Hertz is charging a nice premium for Tesla's but the hassle for renters are larger (having to find charging stations in an area you are unfamiliar with, having to return at 70%, being non itemized chared for supercharging etc). The SR+ also doesnt have the range you need if you want to go seriously roadtripping without charging worries in a rental.

looking at rentals in Vegas... the Tesla SR+ is well over $90 a day whereas my average midsize car is $40 .. plus i get upgraded for free into something larger as presidents circle member.

imho Hertz is charging a nice premium for Tesla's but the hassle for renters are larger (having to find charging stations in an area you are unfamiliar with, having to return at 70%, being non itemized chared for supercharging etc). The SR+ also doesnt have the range you need if you want to go seriously roadtripping without charging worries in a rental.
I am picking up M3 LR next week and M3 was the cheapest at the location. $50/day.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
so, can you explain more about pairing my own key card? Any issue when trying to pair the card again with your own car afterwards?
Go to the LOCKS section of the main menu and select ADD KEY at the top right. It will ask what kind, tap CARD then follow directions, Super easy. No issues re-pairing it to HAL when we got back. Same process. The software apparently doesn't care if a card was previously paired; it just treats it like a new one.
😎

• Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
It’s hard to get charges reversed by Hertz. I wish supercharger sessions were itemized and listed - I recently rented an ICE (ewww) over a cheaper Tesla from Hertz bc I didn’t want to deal with Hertz making up supercharger costs
The charge was broken out, but with a vague description. I kept track of the electrons I got at the two SC stops we made and it pretty much matched the unidentified charge on the final invoice. They appear to be true to their word about passing through SC costs without markup. Give it a try, you won't regret leaving that ICE (ewww is right!) behind.
😎

Last edited:

My rental was cheaper that comparable ICE machines. Our trip offered lots of SC option, so that was no issue. Going to place Tesla hasn't hit yet would be an issue, for sure. The invoice was no biggie; the SC charge was itemized, but labelled poorly.

My rental was cheaper that comparable ICE machines. Our trip offered lots of SC option, so that was no issue. Going to place Tesla hasn't hit yet would be an issue, for sure. The invoice was no biggie; the SC charge was itemized, but labelled poorly.

I too found the Tesla to be comparably priced to an ICE...and the Tesla was a much better driving experience 😁

Too bad Hawaii doesn't have much EV charging or else I would rent another Tesla for the week.

We just returned from a week in the Colorado mountains, driving an M3 from Hertz. For those that haven't done it based on the FUD out there, our experience was pretty much flawless. A few things to keep in mind:

1) Make sure the charging cable and adapter are in the frunk. Hertz will charge you if you return the car without them. When I checked in, I told the agent I wanted to verify the stuff was there. She had no idea what I was talking about and had to make 3 calls to find out, I was told to have any missing items noted when I checked out the car.

2) You have to return the car >70% SOC or they charge $35.

3) When you Supercharge, the $$ will appear in a subsequent invoice from Hertz. When I got the invoice just after I dropped the car, it had a $29 charge that I could not identify. When I called Hertz, the agent was clueless about the charge. When I insisted it get removed, she put me on hold and came back to tell me it Supercharging $$. Fine, but how about showing it as such?

4) When we dropped the car at DEN, the person checking in the sea of rentals said to just leave the key car on the console and leave. I told her NO WAY! I want proof that I gave you your Tesla back! She checked it in right there.

5) They give you the key card in a ridiculously large plastic case with the typical key ring tag. I just paired the card I carry in my wallet and left the big plastic beast in the hotel.

Overall, it was a really smooth experience and I loved not having to drive a dreaded ICE machine for a week. I took a few minutes to set up the car to mirror mine as much as possible (no premium connectivity) and was totally at home.
When you say pair the card, are you talking about the RFID card that came with your Tesla at home?

Nice writeup! And almost identical to my experience, which I talked about in this post.

I didn't know to check for the charging cable, and I never even opened the frunk, so lesson learned. And disputing a charge with Hertz is ridiculously hard. I had the same treatment at the return lanes too - the lady just shouted to leave the keys on the dash and walked away. I was taken aback, and I was late for my flight, so I didn't insist on it being processed right away.

No issues with supercharging costs for me - I only had to charge once, and I knew what the amount was going to be, because I saw it on the car screen before I unplugged it.

Reactions: AZAV8R
Are other rental companies stocking Teslas? Hertz has been under fire for screwing up when someone returns a car, then they report it as stolen and many people have been arrested erroneously. They're getting their butts sued off for doing this to hundreds of people. They continued falsely reporting thefts even after what they were doing was brought to light.

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev