Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hey you guys that upgraded from a MYP to a MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

I'm considering an upgrade from my MYP to a new MS. I've been trying to do a test drive, but my local dealer has not had one available for a while. There are a couple of things that I'm interested in, that maybe you guys with experience can expound upon.
  • Seats. The first time I ever sat in an S, I thought the seats fit my body better than my 911. In fact, my butt and back just fit perfectly. So was I just enamored by the "tesla" or is it real? The MYP has nice seats, but they sit a little higher from the ground and feel to me like I'm sitting on top of them as opposed to feeling like a glove. Are they more of a fitted seat or what is the consensus?
  • Road Noise. The MYP is a great car, but I would like a little more elegance to the drive. After you've proven your abilities driving the same 30 miles every day (and seeing the same guys going back and forth to their offices) I'm pining for a little softer and quieter ride.
The S has already been thoroughly romanticized in my mind, I'm just looking for some possible dose of reality to back it up.

Thanks.
Dan

Reactions: Alex Philips

Nicer place to be for sure but if you value suspension tightness, have a read.

We than that…beautifully crafted car!

I went from 18 M3P to 19 Model X and have a 22 Model S due any day now.

M3 was too loud. I found the seats quite good though. Model X was so so much nicer. Now I’m getting an S and hoping that it’s even quieter, faster, more range and newest seat gadgets. Also getting unbelievable trade on my X.

Reactions: BigDanSRQ
I can provide my comparisons. I just took delivery of my Model S and I have a Model Y long range with acceleration boost which is pretty much the same car as the P in about 95% of the areas.

Seats are definitely better. I love that they are cooled as well as heated. I think this is a big miss at the price point of the 3/Y. They definitely are more fitted and even the back seats are more fitted. In general I feel more like I am sitting IN the car compared to the Y.

Noise is VASTLY better. My Y was quieter than the MYP and the S is far quieter than my Y. It might have to do with the noice cancellation feature but I haven't looked to even see if it on or not. Whatever is at play, it is definitely quieter.

Just a quick note regarding acceleration. Mine has the 19" all season tires. Even on dry pavement, if you get on it hard from a roll, you can hear the tires slipping on the pavement, mostly from the front. There is no doubt it is putting down a lot of power to the ground, I test drove a bunch of 3 an Y performances and none of them pulled anywhere near as hard as this is at 30-40 mph. I haven't had a chance to do any really hard launches yet there is no doubt this is one quick car. Maybe the M3P might hang with it for a little bit after the launch but above that the LR is pulling pretty hard. It does not taper off at higher speeds like most other Teslas do (Plaid excepted).

It just feels so much more upscale than the 3/Y platform. Maybe not high end Benz nice, but that isn't what I was looking for. I love the adjustable suspension for ride height and dampening. We have a M3 on order and I am really thinking about cancelling it and giving my wife the S and ordering a Plaid now for myself. They really did a great job on the refreshed S. I love the car so far other than the yoke. Can't say I am fan of that but a discussion for another thread. What I really hate is the gearshift arrangement.

I can provide my comparisons. I just took delivery of my Model S and I have a Model Y long range with acceleration boost which is pretty much the same car as the P in about 95% of the areas.

Seats are definitely better. I love that they are cooled as well as heated. I think this is a big miss at the price point of the 3/Y. They definitely are more fitted and even the back seats are more fitted. In general I feel more like I am sitting IN the car compared to the Y.

Noise is VASTLY better. My Y was quieter than the MYP and the S is far quieter than my Y. It might have to do with the noice cancellation feature but I haven't looked to even see if it on or not. Whatever is at play, it is definitely quieter.

Just a quick note regarding acceleration. Mine has the 19" all season tires. Even on dry pavement, if you get on it hard from a roll, you can hear the tires slipping on the pavement, mostly from the front. There is no doubt it is putting down a lot of power to the ground, I test drove a bunch of 3 an Y performances and none of them pulled anywhere near as hard as this is at 30-40 mph. I haven't had a chance to do any really hard launches yet there is no doubt this is one quick car. Maybe the M3P might hang with it for a little bit after the launch but above that the LR is pulling pretty hard. It does not taper off at higher speeds like most other Teslas do (Plaid excepted).

It just feels so much more upscale than the 3/Y platform. Maybe not high end Benz nice, but that isn't what I was looking for. I love the adjustable suspension for ride height and dampening. We have a M3 on order and I am really thinking about cancelling it and giving my wife the S and ordering a Plaid now for myself. They really did a great job on the refreshed S. I love the car so far other than the yoke. Can't say I am fan of that but a discussion for another thread. What I really hate is the gearshift arrangement.
Exactly the feedback I was hoping for. Thanks

My wife has an X on order with a Nov delivery so I’m trying to time my S order so we deliver about the same time. Will trade our matching MYPs in.

Thanks for the review 👍🏽 I have currently a PY on order and an MS LR. One for May del and one for June delivery. I can’t seem to decide between the 2. I’ve owned 2016-2018 S’s with coil and air susp (90d- P100D) and now an M3 LR w/boost.

Out of all of them i have to say the handling on the M3 LR is fantastic and better than most S’s..the susp comfort not so much. But interior is getting more S like every time they update a change…latest being the doors now with wood trim inserts as S/heated wipers.

(I also had a 21’ YLR briefly in oct 2021 but sold it due to not requiring white interior for our family and used market was decent. I found the drive comparable to my older 2016 coil 90D which wasn’t that bad but not air.)

I’m reading reviews on the S LR suspension and so far I’m a bit concerned. Owners are reporting adjustable susp settings not really doing anything, a harsher feel than even 2019/2020 raven S’s and even bouncier. A lot of reviews there for a 100k car not having an acceptable adaptive susp and feeling worse than their older 2016-2020 models comparatively.

Don’t seem to hear the same on the MYP other than overall the coil susp sucks lol. I had Uber 21’s on my LRY and I found it to be bmw stiff…which was fine for me 🤷🏽‍♂️

I do like the interior cabin of the S that’s for sure …hands down a better place to be.

What I miss about S is the ride touring quality and the finesse/styling. 2 screens great but this new dash seems to have no usable functions? I’m not sure about the lack of a stalks. And yet she’s a beautiful machine to look at every day. The 17” built in screen is so much more refined. A package deal of Y space, low to the ground car driving and overall more luxurious. Sound wise I’m sure it’s quieter but is that due to 19” wheels vs 21’s on your MYP or?

But I also do also like the height of the Y in terms of visibility, the tow package for bikes, the power adjustable rear seats, better leg knee height for rear passengers, auto fold down seats rather than manual on S. Those are the positives for Y…the PY added fun. Once these 4680 batteries and cast come in, apparently 200kg lighter, more range and power. So my comparison would be to this version of the Y upcoming.

1st world Dilemma guys…🤷🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

Greetings,

I'm considering an upgrade from my MYP to a new MS. I've been trying to do a test drive, but my local dealer has not had one available for a while. There are a couple of things that I'm interested in, that maybe you guys with experience can expound upon.
  • Seats. The first time I ever sat in an S, I thought the seats fit my body better than my 911. In fact, my butt and back just fit perfectly. So was I just enamored by the "tesla" or is it real? The MYP has nice seats, but they sit a little higher from the ground and feel to me like I'm sitting on top of them as opposed to feeling like a glove. Are they more of a fitted seat or what is the consensus?
  • Road Noise. The MYP is a great car, but I would like a little more elegance to the drive. After you've proven your abilities driving the same 30 miles every day (and seeing the same guys going back and forth to their offices) I'm pining for a little softer and quieter ride.
The S has already been thoroughly romanticized in my mind, I'm just looking for some possible dose of reality to back it up.

Thanks.
Dan
I had a 2020 MY and now a 2021 Refreshed MS.

The S is the superior vehicle in terms of build quality, but the yoke is AWFUL (more specifically the touch controls) and the suspension is not as good as my old P85D.

I really liked the ride right of the Y a lot better. But you can feel EVERY bump in the road. The cabin on mine was also fairly noisy but I did not have the dual laminated glass.

All that being said, at current prices, I would take the Y ever time. The S at $100K+ simply isn’t worth it. I got mine for $80K and was still a bit miffed when I didn’t receive floor mats and a cargo cover upon delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: onshi and BigDanSRQ
I had a 2020 MY and now a 2021 Refreshed MS.

The S is the superior vehicle in terms of build quality, but the yoke is AWFUL (more specifically the touch controls) and the suspension is not as good as my old P85D.

I really liked the ride right of the Y a lot better. But you can feel EVERY bump in the road. The cabin on mine was also fairly noisy but I did not have the dual laminated glass.

All that being said, at current prices, I would take the Y ever time. The S at $100K+ simply isn’t worth it. I got mine for $80K and was still a bit miffed when I didn’t receive floor mats and a cargo cover upon delivery.
Keep in mind the 22’ MY’s are starting to see comments of suspension softening slightly.
Also quieter, dual pane glass, heated wipers etc.

I’m the same boat…deciding on a 22 S LR vs an MYP (4680/cast) version. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: BigDanSRQ
Keep in mind the 22’ MY’s are starting to see comments of suspension softening slightly.

Yup. Understood. This is just my experience and I noted the year of manufacture.

It would be nice to be able to test drive any of the latest-and-greatest Tesla is producing, but conveniently (for them) they don’t seem to be making them available to potential customers.

MY with air suspension is my dream option. Hopefully some day.

I had a 2021 Model Y Performance and really liked it, except for the suspension. I am not a track person, but do appreciate acceleration. So I sold the Y and got a MS Plaid. I have absolutely no regrets in making that decision. I got the 19" wheels, which I think also make for a smoother ride. I did hesitate at first because I thought I would be on the 'long wait' list, but my new car came pretty quick. Sure, there were some small problems, but every new car has them. If you can stand the initial cost increase, I say definitely go with the S.

We decided the MYP was the best option for us and the kids. We have 2 teens and 6 days a week of soccer. So constant getting in and out plus the Y seats sit higher for legs/knees, tow hitch for summer bikes, reclining rear seats, actual auto fold down seats (not just buttons in trunk that unlatch but don’t actual fold the rear seats down in S…very oddly omitted).

S is a nicer place to be for sure hands down..but seems like the MYP gives us the best value of speed and utility.

Plan to keep psi at 38 to help with bumps but visibility, no more trembling ‘half shaft MS’ issues, matrix lights, heated wipers, 4680 upcoming…sealed it here :) miss our old S but this is works now.

I picked up a 2022 MYP on Dec. 2021. I was happy with the car, but always wanted to know all the hype of the Plaid and made the mistake of renting one on Turo. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Acceleration was out of this world, so MYP left last Friday on a Carvana truck and I can’t wait to pickup the Plaid. It is also much more refined than the Y which feels way cheaper.
Appreciate the sentiment :) but some of us actually can’t pay double the price as much as we’d love to. Was the MYP that bad!?
Im due for a 2022 MYP and waiting patiently for 4680 w/maybe extra power/range and lighter. I guess it’s also refinement…

Appreciate the sentiment :) but some of us actually can’t pay double the price as much as we’d love to. Was the MYP that bad!?
Im due for a 2022 MYP and waiting patiently for 4680 w/maybe extra power/range and lighter. I guess it’s also refinement…
Thinking through this issue myself as well--I took delivery of a '21 MYP in March '21, and ordered a LR S in July '21. Delivery has been continually pushed out and now I'm looking at May 15 - June 12. My biggest frustration is not being able to test drive a new S. I tend to agree with the comments here that Tesla is conveniently making it hard to do and I also see some folks suggesting that higher priced orders are getting filled first (probably true--my order is $10k below current pricing).

Honestly, I've been happier with the MYP than expected--not that I expected to dislike it, but I've always driven Audi sedans (S models) and was a little unsure of going to the SUV platform (wife drives an SQ5 so not totally a new experience, but certainly as my daily driver). I've been very happy with how the MYP drives and its really been trouble free. Delivery was great, no serious issues, and its been a year of trouble free driving. Just sort of wondering if I'd be happier in the sedan and if the cabin/driving experience might be a bit more refined with the S. Granted, coming from the S class Audi with performance tires I knew what I was getting into (and my S order includes 21" wheels), but I still wonder if the S might just be a bit smoother. Hoping to drive one at some point to solve that issue--local Tesla club folks have volunteered to let me drive their cars, but mostly Plaid models and I don't want to drive one, or I'm sure I'd want to upgrade!

Guess what I'm trying to say here in response to your post is no, the MYP is 'not that bad'--in fact, its pretty damn good in my mind. I think you will enjoy it!

Thinking through this issue myself as well--I took delivery of a '21 MYP in March '21, and ordered a LR S in July '21. Delivery has been continually pushed out and now I'm looking at May 15 - June 12. My biggest frustration is not being able to test drive a new S. I tend to agree with the comments here that Tesla is conveniently making it hard to do and I also see some folks suggesting that higher priced orders are getting filled first (probably true--my order is $10k below current pricing).

Honestly, I've been happier with the MYP than expected--not that I expected to dislike it, but I've always driven Audi sedans (S models) and was a little unsure of going to the SUV platform (wife drives an SQ5 so not totally a new experience, but certainly as my daily driver). I've been very happy with how the MYP drives and its really been trouble free. Delivery was great, no serious issues, and its been a year of trouble free driving. Just sort of wondering if I'd be happier in the sedan and if the cabin/driving experience might be a bit more refined with the S. Granted, coming from the S class Audi with performance tires I knew what I was getting into (and my S order includes 21" wheels), but I still wonder if the S might just be a bit smoother. Hoping to drive one at some point to solve that issue--local Tesla club folks have volunteered to let me drive their cars, but mostly Plaid models and I don't want to drive one, or I'm sure I'd want to upgrade!

Guess what I'm trying to say here in response to your post is no, the MYP is 'not that bad'--in fact, its pretty damn good in my mind. I think you will enjoy it!

My post about my experience with a new LR :)

Gotta say.... I'm still on the fence. Drove into the office this morning following an S. Reminded me of the days when I drove a Cayman and ended up behind a 911. Didn't like that either (bought 2 911s after that). The thing that I'm still wondering about is the seats. It's the only thing I don't love in the MYP. Still waiting for a local demo to see how well it fits.

Thanks for all the input.

My post about my experience with a new LR :)
Thanks, appreciate the link and input. Suspect I will find myself in the same camp as you in terms of my reactions to the S--you also point out one other important difference--its easy for me to throw my bike rack on the hitch of my MYP and haul my mountain bike to the trailhead. Not so much with an S, although I suspect someone will come out with a clean hitch install option (hate the idea of a traditional hitch hanging down--want something hidden).

Thanks, appreciate the link and input. Suspect I will find myself in the same camp as you in terms of my reactions to the S--you also point out one other important difference--its easy for me to throw my bike rack on the hitch of my MYP and haul my mountain bike to the trailhead. Not so much with an S, although I suspect someone will come out with a clean hitch install option (hate the idea of a traditional hitch hanging down--want something hidden).
There is no hidden option unfort as the bumper diffuser is not angled or large enough to accommodate. It would be a gaping hole in the bumper itself.

There are many interesting points about MYP that most don’t think about but are good value :)

Torklift already makes a stealth hitch for the Refreshed Model S.

On top of that, the bottom panel has a pre-made cutout to accommodate it. Just like in the MX.