Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hi, I’m a short seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im going to keep my posts in very few threads for the time being (even though they are aggressively deleted even when they are completely rational questions)

I have a question for people with Model 3 deposits.

Can I ask you why you have a deposit down for a model 3 at this point?

Do you think you will be able to benefit from the FIT Credit or maybe get in before the FIT credit goes away?

Do you do it for moral reasons? Just a big believer in Tesla and want to show your support?

Why wouldnt you wait until the production level is up so you can actually buy one and get it quickly instead of laying out cash fora long period of time (and its not refundable in BK)

Very curious what the purpose is to have a deposit down as of now, especially if you plan on buying a sub 40k version of the model 3. I would love to start a thread on this, but it would probably be deleted.

I honestly feel bad if some of you never get your money back

I have a day three online reservation, which should be open for an order in several months. I currently don't have a car (live in dense urban Chicago). I have my reservation for when I move out of the city, in about 1 year. I want to be able to receive my car quickly when I place the order. I think there will be a long wait for years to come on unless you get in line ASAP.

Reactions: neroden
I have a day three online reservation, which should be open for an order in several months. I currently don't have a car (live in dense urban Chicago). I have my reservation for when I move out of the city, in about 1 year. I want to be able to receive my car quickly when I place the order. I think there will be a long wait for years to come on unless you get in line ASAP.

appreciate the answer

Ummm, probably because I want the car, and sooner is better than later.

Do you think you will be able to benefit from the FIT Credit or maybe get in before the FIT credit goes away?
Yes. Well, for one of them. The other one is going to Australia so it was never going to get the credit.

Do you do it for moral reasons? Just a big believer in Tesla and want to show your support?
I drive electric partly for moral reasons, but mostly because it is just a far superior experience. And Tesla is the best of the EVs. There's only a very small component of doing it to support Tesla.

Why wouldnt you wait until the production level is up so you can actually buy one and get it quickly instead of laying out cash fora long period of time (and its not refundable in BK)
Instant gratification :). Well, put it this way, I lined up two years ago and our Model 3P should be here soon. The alternative would be to wait for two years for the queue to go down, then order. And I'd have been driving around for two years in something other than the Model 3. The wait is the same either way, but I get to enjoy the car sooner.

Also, you seem to think bankruptcy is inevitable, which colors all your arguments. I/we seem to think that bankruptcy is quite evitable (if there is such a word), so we don't factor that into our consideration.

Very curious what the purpose is to have a deposit down as of now, especially if you plan on buying a sub 40k version of the model 3. I would love to start a thread on this, but it would probably be deleted.
Well, I don't plan on buying the entry level so I can't comment on most of this. The rest of it I choose not to.

I wish I could echo the sentiment.

Is your contention that founders of other BK companies "allowed" their company to go BK? Like they said 'u know what, im bored of this, it's BK time'.

..... yeah.... many bankruptcies are strategic. A company can be worth more dead than alive or it's just not worth the time and expense to keep finding new funding. That's the concept the shorts either chose to ignore or cannot understand... Tesla is a mission and that mission is too important to fail. There's a long list of people with deep pockets and a conscience that would gladly help keep Tesla afloat if it needs it.

Im going to keep my posts in very few threads for the time being (even though they are aggressively deleted even when they are completely rational questions)

Why wouldnt you wait until the production level is up so you can actually buy one and get it quickly instead of laying out cash fora long period of time (and its not refundable in BK).

I have a deposit on a Model 3 because I intend to buy a Model 3.

Yes, I fully expect to benefit from the full federal income tax credit. My order number is up and as long as I take delivery by the end of the year (or September if 200K cars comes in Q2, which I doubt), I'm good to go.

I put the deposit down because I wanted a first crack at a Model 3. Little did I know, nearly a half million people had the same idea. I kept the deposit through the two year wait because I want a Model 3 to be my next car. As a day 1 reservation holder, I have been invited to configure and I can do so at any time. I'm waited to see what performance specs and pricing would be, to see what white interior would look like and to learn more about the dual motor configuration. Now that all of that is known, I know that I want a LR+PUP+EAP configuration. I'm still waiting to configure because we might be buying a home, but I'm keeping my reservation so that we can be at the front of the line when we are finally ready to purchase.

I'm not worried about the $1,000. First of all, I'm certain that Tesla is not going BK. Even in the incredibly unlikely event that they do, the $1,000 pales in comparison to my investment, which I am equally confident in. I believe in and support Musk's vision of electric vehicles and the broader transportation and energy sectors. I see public opinion shifting to support sustainability and energy independence and I think I'm putting my money in the right place, both as an investor and as a customer.

Cheers!

There's a long list of people with deep pockets and a conscience that would gladly help keep Tesla afloat if it needs it.

Ok, so this type of thinking needs to be worked out.

First, I totally agree. The mission towards green energy and from ICE to PHEV and BEV is something I think most reasonable people should and will support.

Second, then there is the issue of business/investment. You confuse the 2, and they are extremely different.

In the case of Tesla the desire to move to green energy is a legitimate one, and one that creates demand (i would even agree Tesla has helped discover some of the demand, i would argue tho they did nothing to create it) for products that promote this agenda. However, anyone who would want to 'help' Tesla would do so in a way that was profitable for them. This would be done via some sort of asset purchase in which bondholders get paid out some of their investment and shareholder are left holding the bag. That is assuming Tesla cannot turn a profit and/or service its debt and/or gets sued to oblivion.

One should not confuse the 2, no one is going to give Tesla a bunch of money because they believe in green energy, no one with enough money that matters if all Tesla does is burn through it.

.... no one is going to give Tesla a bunch of money because they believe in green energy, no one with enough money that matters if all Tesla does is burn through it.

Really? Here's $93M donated to fight climate change. Here's another $64M. None of these people expect to profit. Imagine how much they'll invest even if the odds of seeing a return are 1%.... 1% is A LOT higher than 0 and Tesla is significantly higher than 1%.

Grid Alternatives while much smaller than Tesla has been around for years. Their whole business model is 'burning money' because people believe in 'Green Energy'...

It goes beyond the ability to get funding. I left a $100k+ job at URENCO because the company was a social parasite and had no mission. If they had a clear vision and were working toward a goal I would have gladly stayed for $30k/yr. The fact that Tesla has a clear goal has a HUGE effect on their ability to find and keep top talent.

You VASTLY underestimate how much Teslas vision is worth.

Last edited:

1. Superior car vs. ICE (I currently drive high end German sedans and the 3 is a much better driver)
2. Fuel efficiency (said high end Germans are <20mpg)
3. Climate change
4. Simplicity of EV drivetrain
5. Superiority of Tesla integration between hardware and software vs. any other manufacturer

I have a reservation, and keeping it because I may still want to buy the cheaper model when available for my in laws. Demand will not be a problem with this car. I bought a model S for my family car/personal vehicle, which is much more expensive than any other car I’ve bought, and after 35000 miles, honestly, I’m Savin my money for an X in a couple years-once they put the new cells in there, and rework the hvac/interior. This has been the most amazing, practical and fun vehicle. People will FREAK out when they realize that going electric is more fun, quiet, clean, and safer, and less hassle.... Tesla has the battery tech down for at least next 2-8 years in my opinion. By then solar and energy storage will be the norm, and who’s going to have the most efficient and streamlined system? Tesla will hold American deleoveries till Q 3 starts and reap full benefits for its customers in US for FITC by hitting high production numbers during next two quarters and delivering to mostly US customers(after the big Canada push)...love y’all neighbors eh? before rebate gets reduced, then think they will likely reduce the price on ththe base model a bit when they start producing it at Hoag volume and when the margins are tighter in December... then with factoring gas savings/maintenance/oil changes, it really does make financial sense for that many more people.. just my opinion and view.....fwiw.

Reactions: Electroman

I have 11 Model 3 reservations. The reason I have those is that I want the cars. They will be goldmines the moment they are orderable and mine will be amongs the first ones in EU once Tesla starts shipping (previous owner + finnish store was open 1h before any other in EU and we ordered within that 1h on Mar 31st in the morning).

Yes it means I've got 11k€ locked away, but probability of not seeing that money is close to 0 and if Tesla goes belly up I have bigger problems (with 13 Teslas in the fleet). But if I can make a Model S and X profitable in rent+cab business, then a Model 3 is a goldmine. It's at least 2x cheaper even in a decent config, the running costs of insurance and repairs are going to be cheaper, but I don't see the rental income being much cheaper especially in the cab front. So hell no I'm not giving away my early booking advantage! And no, there are no benefits or credits or what not. Just an excellent car and a ripe market.

Ok, so this type of thinking needs to be worked out.

First, I totally agree. The mission towards green energy and from ICE to PHEV and BEV is something I think most reasonable people should and will support.

Second, then there is the issue of business/investment. You confuse the 2, and they are extremely different.

In the case of Tesla the desire to move to green energy is a legitimate one, and one that creates demand (i would even agree Tesla has helped discover some of the demand, i would argue tho they did nothing to create it) for products that promote this agenda. However, anyone who would want to 'help' Tesla would do so in a way that was profitable for them. This would be done via some sort of asset purchase in which bondholders get paid out some of their investment and shareholder are left holding the bag. That is assuming Tesla cannot turn a profit and/or service its debt and/or gets sued to oblivion.

One should not confuse the 2, no one is going to give Tesla a bunch of money because they believe in green energy, no one with enough money that matters if all Tesla does is burn through it.
Isn't the fact that people are paying more money to buy a Tesla than what they would normally spend on a car purchase the definition of creating a demand?

Isn't the fact that people are paying more money to buy a Tesla than what they would normally spend on a car purchase the definition of creating a demand?

Hmmm

I dont think so, but i guess you could say it increases the TAM of the entire car market maybe?

I think Tesla proved something no one really thought was true. And that is how MUCH people would pay for a high performance electric car.

If you take away the SCTY bailout, shortcutting the model 3 testing, and possibly the model 3 all together. I think attacking the niche market of high end BEVs might have been a successful business model, but we will never know.

Hmmm

I dont think so, but i guess you could say it increases the TAM of the entire car market maybe?

I think Tesla proved something no one really thought was true. And that is how MUCH people would pay for a high performance electric car.

If you take away the SCTY bailout, shortcutting the model 3 testing, and possibly the model 3 all together. I think attacking the niche market of high end BEVs might have been a successful business model, but we will never know.
I disagree. There was a time when Tesla was selling lots of Model Ss, some Model Xs, and wasn't yet spending gigadollars on gigafactories. Guess what? It was briefly profitable.