Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High beams not working or I don't know how to work them

timeshifter

Jan 23, 2021
USA
Picked up my car 4 days ago. I drove it 100 miles home and used the auto high beam feature. Worked very nicely. I'm not sure what software version I was on when I picked it up. I do recall that the high beam indicator and headlight indicator where horizontal across the top.

I soon updated to 2021.4.11 and again to 2021.4.12. The headlight indicators are now vertical along the left edge of the screen.

The auto high beams don't work. I've checked the settings and it's selected. I tried changing it back and forth.

I can manually, temporarily turn on high beams by pulling (or pushing, don't recall) on the stalk. I'll see the lights come up and the blue indicator icon on the screen. But I have to keep pressure on the stalk.

Any ideas?

update: just went out and fooled with it a bit. If I turn off Auto High Beam I can turn them on with the stalk. But, while driving for the last few days I don't recall EVER seeing the high beams come on in places where I'd expect they would.

Last edited:

NJEV-Don

Sep 10, 2020
Northern New Jersey
I have a question as well. I have Auto High Beams turned on in the car settings. I can see it on my main screen on the left side that shows a greyed out high beam indicator which signifies that it is in fact enabled but not currently on because there is sufficient light detected. My issue is that when I use my blinkers that causes the greyed out icon to turn off. It seems like it happens a lot. am I doing something wrong? I constantly have to push the stalk to turn that back on. It seems like a flaw. In other cars it’s a roaring switch on the stalk that is less prone to accidental turning off. It’s. it a huge deal but it’s kind of annoying. Any thoughts?

Robb.W

Feb 23, 2021
Elgin, IL
The auto high beams don't work. I've checked the settings and it's selected. I tried changing it back and forth.

I can manually, temporarily turn on high beams by pulling (or pushing, don't recall) on the stalk. I'll see the lights come up and the blue indicator icon on the screen. But I have to keep pressure on the stalk.

Any ideas?
Yes, you can activate the "Auto High Beams" feature in the settings. However, the high beams won't automatically come on while you're out driving. You still have to manually turn on the high beams by pushing forward the left stalk. Once you've activated the high beams, then the vehicle will automatically turn them off and on as oncoming traffic approaches.

agordon117

Mar 25, 2021
Ohio
Pretty sure this is a bug. My car has enabled auto high beams at least twice since the last update by itself. Which led me to be super confused about why my brights weren't able to be normally toggled anymore. The first time it happened, a bunch of things had changed back to default automatically, so I shut it off at the same time. The next day I found it had re-enabled when I actually went to use my brights.

agordon117

Mar 25, 2021
Ohio
Also, the auto high beam feature is known to be very hit or miss for everyone not in the FSD beta. It might work okay in some situations but work completely erratically in others.

Ruffles

Jun 13, 2017
Snohomish WA
There is also a bug where if you enable the Auto High Beams in the settings AND push the left stick forward to turn it on, it will save that setting to your profile and when you get back in to drive, it will still be enabled and turned on UNLESS there is a sentry event when you are out of the car. If so, you will have to press the left stick forward again to turn on (it will stay enabled in the settings however).

• Informative
Reactions: srlawren

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Really, the feature is named wrong, because it isn't Automatic High Beams, it is a feature to Automatically Dip to Low Beams when there is a vehicle in front of you. (You have to have the auto feature enabled and turn the high beams on before it does anything.)

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC