Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update before our trip to Texas for the eclipse:

Currently at 207,000 miles. Full charge is about 273 rated miles (out of 310). 88% of new capacity.
86%.

Because of degradation threshold of 76kWh the first couple kWh of capacity loss were hidden. Pack started around 78kWh.

Just to be precise. It’s a good result regardless.

When i got my car in August, 2018 maximum was about 300, well officially 310, but i never seen that. Going from 300 to 270 is exactly 10% Not to shabby.
Maybe we're just lucky (or careful) but our 2018 Model 3, after 150K miles is only down to a 100% charge of about 193 miles when, new (after the increase), it maxed out at 210. That's only 8% drop.
Remember, of course, that, with an ICE, after that many miles and years one starts going to the gas station to fill the oil and check the gas level.
I love this car. Hopefully, it will, yet again, get even better if Tesla actually installs the CCS adapter board in it today, as scheduled.

Maybe we're just lucky (or careful) but our 2018 Model 3, after 150K miles is only down to a 100% charge of about 193 miles when, new (after the increase), it maxed out at 210. That's only 8% drop.
Remember, of course, that, with an ICE, after that many miles and years one starts going to the gas station to fill the oil and check the gas level.
I love this car. Hopefully, it will, yet again, get even better if Tesla actually installs the CCS adapter board in it today, as scheduled.

I assume you meant 293.
If it’s an LR RWD: 68.6kWh, 12%
If it’s an LR AWD: 71.7kWh, 8%
(You said after the increase so it must be RWD.)
88k miles, 2018 LR with sport wheels. Just had the rear drive unit replaced under warranty. Car shows 147 miles remaining at 47% SOC
Assuming no extrapolation error:
313 miles is:

For LR RWD: 73.2kWh (6%)

It cannot be an LR AWD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hiline
So, is this where I give an update on my battery? Just got back from a 2wk ski trip out West, so a couple things. In the 2wks my car was parked at the airport, I lost 5.7% SOC, and I checked the SOC almost daily. Doing the math, that's about a 0.05mi/hr drain rate. Very, very low. Checking via the app cost very little, 0.6%.
1710889622703.jpeg

Overall deg after 5 1/2yrs and about 62k miles is still zero EPA-rated miles:
1710889725103.jpeg

I unplugged my SMT OBDII reader back in January, as I didn't want my nephews stepping on it in their ski boots, so I don't have a recent figure from it.

This winter, more than in previous years, I haven't babied it at all, as I've run the battery to zero miles, and even today, I ran it down to 3%! Mostly because I went skiing about twice as often as previous years, and I found myself stretching the range in order to get home more than a few times! The car has been very good to me!

So, is this where I give an update on my battery? Just got back from a 2wk ski trip out West, so a couple things. In the 2wks my car was parked at the airport, I lost 5.7% SOC, and I checked the SOC almost daily. Doing the math, that's about a 0.05mi/hr drain rate. Very, very low. Checking via the app cost very little, 0.6%.View attachment 1029790
Overall deg after 5 1/2yrs and about 62k miles is still zero EPA-rated miles:View attachment 1029791
I unplugged my SMT OBDII reader back in January, as I didn't want my nephews stepping on it in their ski boots, so I don't have a recent figure from it.

This winter, more than in previous years, I haven't babied it at all, as I've run the battery to zero miles, and even today, I ran it down to 3%! Mostly because I went skiing about twice as often as previous years, and I found myself stretching the range in order to get home more than a few times! The car has been very good to me!
Some sort of weird insanity.
Would be kind of interesting to meter a large discharge carefully to be sure all the energy is there. But if you got to 3% without a surprise shutdown, at least it isn’t way off. A couple percent after ~5 years seems unusual.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Some sort of weird insanity.
Would be kind of interesting to meter a large discharge carefully to be sure all the energy is there. But if you got to 3% without a surprise shutdown, at least it isn’t way off. A couple percent after ~5 years seems unusual.
Ha, don't forget I got down to -1.2% SOC on Super Bowl Sunday this year! So, there's some bottom buffer and my cell imbalance must be fairly okay.
1710892430819.jpeg

I assume you meant 293.
If it’s an LR RWD: 68.6kWh, 12%
If it’s an LR AWD: 71.7kWh, 8%
(You said after the increase so it must be RWD.)

Assuming no extrapolation error:
313 miles is:

For LR RWD: 73.2kWh (6%)

It cannot be an LR AWD.
Yep, LR AWD. 6%, 8%, Whatever. It's all within experimental error.
There's no sense in describing battery capacity down to the tenths. It is meaningless precision without accuracy.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
There's no sense in describing battery capacity down to the tenths. It is meaningless precision without accuracy.
Just using the available number of significant figures. Of course the actual accuracy of the BMS estimate can be off. But the three digits will typically match the CAN bus readers fairly closely as long as they are gathered carefully. (And fractional percentage is now available in the GUI, which helps with extrapolation precision presumably, though have not checked the alignment there.)

Yep, LR AWD
Oh, ok. The LR AWD got no increase.

Last edited:
Was that replaced because of failure or some other reason?
I'm at 92k and secretly hoping for a drivetrain or battery failure between now and end of warranty just to get a new one for posterity.
I think we all do. Unfortunately, replacement batteries are re-manufactured, not new. And modern Tesla batteries very rarely fail, from the data we have so far....

Was that replaced because of failure or some other reason?
I'm at 92k and secretly hoping for a drivetrain or battery failure between now and end of warranty just to get a new one for posterity.
Failure. I got the BMS a170 and BMS a027 error codes. Other than some WOT pulls I hadn’t done anything abusive to the car, no donuts, no slamming it in park while moving, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
I just purchased a 2022 Model 3 LR (from Hertz.. lol) about 3 weeks ago. It had ~97,250 miles on it. I have since put 2K miles on it.

According to "Tessie":

Battery Health is 89.9 currently (started at 89.9%, went up to 90.1, then back to 89.9 over 3 weeks of use)

Capacity 69.9kWh (started at 69.9, went up to 70.1, back down to 69.9 over 3 weeks)

Range (EPA) shows 203mi @ 63% State-of-Charge

I'm extremely happy with this car so far, however I'm a leadfoot, and I also have 19" wheels with random tires (They're probably hurting my range and wh/mi).

I average about 275 wh/mi, but driving cautiously I can get as low as 240 (less if I drive so slow that I hate myself).

Reactions: Bouba and Hiline