Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s no different to an ice car....a Tesla will do high mileage if it’s driven all the time like a taxi...my M3 does 6,000 miles a year...it will take fifty years for my car to get to 300,000 miles....and I doubt it (or me) will still be around...time kills all

I mostly agree. The difference though is that the Model 3 has been around for not nearly as long as most gas cars, so we don't have concrete proof how much mileage a Model 3 can bear. Also, the hypothesis is that an EV such as a Model 3 sustains less wear and tear from mileage, so the more data points we have, the more we can accept or reject the hypothesis.

Although Tessie (see sig. 9K miles) is a nicer, more sophisticated ride with the double pane windows and heated steering wheel, I recently detailed Nick (85K miles), and the ride was just about as smooth and enjoyable, especially considering the extra acceleration. IOW, still feels like new.

How is that chemically possible?
My 2020 with 95k miles has its fair share of losses (at least according to the BMS) and wasn't abused in any way.
should be age not miles

% loss, elapsed months, years

-4% after 12 months
-5% 24
-6% 36
-7% 48
-8% 60
-9% 72, 6 years
-10% 84, 7
-11% 96, 8
-12% 108, 9
-13% 120, 10 years

2023 MYP is tracking to 2% loss after 18 months with NCM
2023 M3RWD is tracking to almost 0% loss, after 14 months with LFP (19" 261.6 miles at 100%)

should be age not miles

-4% after 12 months
-5% 24
-6% 36
-7% 48
-8% 60
-9% 72, 6 years
-10% 84, 7
-11% 96, 8
-12% 108, 9
-13% 120, 10 years

2023 M3RWD is tracking to almost 0% loss, after 14 months with LFP (19" 261.6 miles at 100%)
And mines at 8% in 24 months, it’s been over year since 100% charge though so that might change things

should be age not miles

-4% after 12 months
-5% 24
-6% 36
-7% 48
-8% 60
-9% 72, 6 years
-10% 84, 7
-11% 96, 8
-12% 108, 9
-13% 120, 10 years

I thought my Model Y had almost zero range loss as well, until I started supercharging at 11k miles and the computer re-calibrated to show a much lower range, in line with the rest of the fleet.

1718386429103.png

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Time to trot out my car's data. That's SMT in upper right, Recurrent on right and Stats on lower left. All showing I have the original EPA range of 310mi after 67k miles and 5yrs 8months. Yes, I supercharge, that's the DC Charge total, or about 20% of my kWh are from supercharging. My battery pack isn't completely like new since it's showing 76.2kWh and not the original amount, but it's still in the top buffer.
1718387342737.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Time to trot out my car's data. That's SMT in upper right, Recurrent on right and Stats on lower left. All showing I have the original EPA range of 310mi after 67k miles and 5yrs 8months. Yes, I supercharge, that's the DC Charge total, or about 20% of my kWh are from supercharging. My battery pack isn't completely like new since it's showing 76.2kWh and not the original amount, but it's still in the top buffer.View attachment 1056557
Why did the other person lose range from super charging 1 time and you didn’t

Time to trot out my car's data. That's SMT in upper right, Recurrent on right and Stats on lower left. All showing I have the original EPA range of 310mi after 67k miles and 5yrs 8months. Yes, I supercharge, that's the DC Charge total, or about 20% of my kWh are from supercharging. My battery pack isn't completely like new since it's showing 76.2kWh and not the original amount, but it's still in the top buffer.View attachment 1056557
I really feel like this is unlikely to be correct unless you started with an extraordinarily high capacity pack somehow. Even if it were 80kWh it’s only 5% down…

I know you keep it low and cold, but this is an outlier by any model of calendar aging we have, I think. @AAKEE could comment.

What is the lowest SOC you have had recently? I know you said extremely low last time I asked…

If you do a really big discharge it would interesting to monitor energy expended (with minimal losses in park). Also interested what your park “BMS adjustments” do on that page of the Energy app, does it generally adjust upwards or downwards when you park? How much?

It’s all very curious and I wonder if it behaves strangely in any way.

does it generally adjust upwards or downwards when you park? How much?
Mine does this both ways lol

Right after I finish charging and the car sits for 30-60 mins I lose 3%

Then when I drive to my destination and it sits for 30 mins I get back 3-4%

Then when I drive home and it sits for 30 mins I lose 3% again

And I’m willing to bet if I left the house and went some where else I would gain 3% again

Mine does this both ways lol

Right after I finish charging and the car sits for 30-60 mins I lose 3%

Then when I drive to my destination and it sits for 30 mins I get back 3-4%

Then when I drive home and it sits for 30 mins I lose 3% again

And I’m willing to bet if I left the house and went some where else I would gain 3% again
Just adjustments relative to the dead reckoning measurements. Your adjustments are somewhat inconsistent which suggests the BMS estimate is probably ok. If it were always adjusting down after a charge and up after a drive it would suggest the pack has more energy than the BMS thinks.

Probably. Not something I have really looked at closely for a long time. Would be nice if the apps tracked this.

Just adjustments relative to the dead reckoning measurements. Your adjustments are somewhat inconsistent which suggests the BMS estimate is probably ok. If it were always adjusting down after a charge and up after a drive it would suggest the pack has more energy than the BMS thinks.

Probably. Not something I have really looked at closely for a long time. Would be nice if the apps tracked this.
Idk I think I need to do a 100% charge something seems out of whack to me

I really feel like this is unlikely to be correct unless you started with an extraordinarily high capacity pack somehow. Even if it were 80kWh it’s only 5% down…

I know you keep it low and cold, but this is an outlier by any model of calendar aging we have, I think. @AAKEE could comment.

What is the lowest SOC you have had recently? I know you said extremely low last time I asked…

If you do a really big discharge it would interesting to monitor energy expended (with minimal losses in park). Also interested what your park “BMS adjustments” do on that page of the Energy app, does it generally adjust upwards or downwards when you park? How much?

It’s all very curious and I wonder if it behaves strangely in any way.
Back in early February, I came home one night on vapors, -1.2%.
IMG_2904.jpeg

I just realized looking at the above image that the SOC is showing 67% when I set it for 60%. It was cold when I started charging, below freezing, and it's warmer the next day, and so the SOC is up from 60%.

I've posted numerous times that BMS adjustments seem correlated to ambient temperature change, in my opinion. I've attached an image from a 4-day power outage. As the temp varies, so does the SOC levels each day. After Day 1, the temperature was up. After Day 2, it got a lot colder, and the same after Day 3, when I drove off to a supercharger. You can see, it's 27°f out. To me, colder days show lower SOC levels, and warmer ones show higher SOC levels.

IMG_2092.jpeg

For example today, it's very hot here, hotter than yesterday when it was 67°f, and I expected there to be no BMS adjustment, and so I took a photo, and yes, there's no BMS adjustment:
IMG_5028.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in early February, I came home one night on vapors, -1.2%.
View attachment 1056609
Yes that is what I was remembering. Anyway for any future deep discharge with minimal stops it would be nice to document:
- starting miles/%
- ending miles/%
- trip meter details.

Just curious if it all lines up. Probably it will be highly uninteresting.

🦄

• Informative
Reactions: KenC