Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
16700 miles after 2.5yrs. HV battery is good. No other issues, but may change 12V prophylactically.

The Stats estimated range trend line is about to touch 310miles. Never been that high before. Zoomed in, it looks like 309.8miles. Definitely a unicorn, since I got it home delivered with Zero SOC.
View attachment 670351

I swear you must have started with an 81kWh capacity battery, haha. Even if you did, you'd have lost less than 4% capacity, which would be pretty darn good still.

its always frustrating to see how some people have no degeneration.

If it makes you feel better, he probably has had a few % capacity loss, but it's just not visible yet in the rated miles. No way to easily tell without SMT or extremely careful trip metering, when the car was brand new.

Seems like the 2017/2018 Model 3s for some reason have minimal degradation.

That's definitely not true. I know plenty of people in this date range with about 10% capacity loss.

My car:
No mechanical issues.

25k miles, November 2018, 10% capacity loss (~286 miles down from the original 318 (minimum) miles (which looks like 310, the way Tesla hides the initial capacity loss)). Realistically, I might have started with 78.5-79kWh of energy, and now I'm at 70kWh. (So could be as much as 11-12% loss.) I did not ever hook up SMT when it was new, so there's no way to know for sure exactly where it started, but I did not lose rated capacity for a while so I likely was considerably above 78kWh when new.

Mostly home charging, about 5-6 road trips with Supercharging (about 7.5k miles worth).

I suspect that there are 1) battery packs that lose capacity more slowly than others and 2) battery packs that start at higher capacity than others and thus can degrade more before capacity loss shows.

Remember for 2018-2020 vehicles, capacity has to drop below about ~77.7kWh before any loss shows. Before then, it is hidden through more energetic rated miles. (At least this is what the current evidence shows, and informs my current understanding.)

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Dre78 and KenC
61,000 miles here. Had to have the onboard charger fixed and had to have my front control arms replaced (both out of warranty). Right now the sound doesn’t work in my car and I can’t get the “gas cap” to open unless I pry it open. I think I am on my third set of tires...still on my original brakes. Fully charged I get 300 miles (when it was new I would get 310)

over the lifetime of driving I’ve averaged 245 wh/mi
I had an error in the information above....I am only getting 290 miles when fully charged....can't figure out how to edit my post...

6/18 LR RWD that charged up to 324mi rated range at it's peak. At 21k miles, 100% rated range is now usually 297-300mi.

I never know if I should calculate my range loss based on original advertised range of 310 or 325 after SW update. At worst, I have ~8.5% loss, at best ~3.5%

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I never know if I should calculate my range loss based on original advertised range of 310 or 325 after SW update. At worst, I have ~8.5% loss, at best ~3.5%
It's a philosophical question! For this specific vehicle, they did not change the constant, and actually provided you more unlocked capacity (a few kWh), in that update. (Quite different than most range updates.) It's also not clear whether your max was close to 78kWh or closer to 76kWh. (78kWh would be a true range of 333 rated miles or so, FWIW, but it would have been hidden with the expansion of rated miles energy content.) You'd have to have SMT readbacks from back then to know exactly what was going on.

So do you calculate from your original available energy (around 72.5kWh, may have been as high as 74kWh, hard to know), or the unlocked energy (76kWh or even 78kWh)? Guess it depends on your point of view.

In any case you're now at 70kWh or so. (300rmi*234Wh/rmi)

Last edited:
Reactions: PNWLeccy
2020 LRAWD ~30k miles. So far no issue. small software hiccups but usually resolved with the two-button long press on the steering wheel.

I used to worry about the battery battery degradation but just accepted it with a grain of salt. Just enjoy the car

I swear you must have started with an 81kWh capacity battery, haha. Even if you did, you'd have lost less than 4% capacity, which would be pretty darn good still.

If it makes you feel better, he probably has had a few % capacity loss, but it's just not visible yet in the rated miles. No way to easily tell without SMT or extremely careful trip metering, when the car was brand new.

That's definitely not true. I know plenty of people in this date range with about 10% capacity loss.

My car:
No mechanical issues.

25k miles, November 2018, 10% capacity loss (~286 miles down from the original 318 (minimum) miles (which looks like 310, the way Tesla hides the initial capacity loss)). Realistically, I might have started with 78.5-79kWh of energy, and now I'm at 70kWh. (So could be as much as 11-12% loss.) I did not ever hook up SMT when it was new, so there's no way to know for sure exactly where it started, but I did not lose rated capacity for a while so I likely was considerably above 78kWh when new.

Mostly home charging, about 5-6 road trips with Supercharging (about 7.5k miles worth).

I suspect that there are 1) battery packs that lose capacity more slowly than others and 2) battery packs that start at higher capacity than others and thus can degrade more before capacity loss shows.

Remember for 2018-2020 vehicles, capacity has to drop below about ~77.7kWh before any loss shows. Before then, it is hidden through more energetic rated miles. (At least this is what the current evidence shows, and informs my current understanding.)

ive seen a couple of youtube videos on brand new 2019 and 2020 Tesla. The capacity of a new Model 3 is 77.8kwh +- 300wh. Actually my TMC lists full pack when new as 77.8kwh which fits with that. Rumour has it that the RWD 2017 cars came with 79kwh and had slightly more variability.
Im on 69.6kwh with 456km at 100%....

2018 Performance M3 with 53,000 miles. Still have factory 20" wheels on car. Battery at 100% reads 292 miles, although it does tick up to just over 300 when I'm using it on a long road trip. Never got over 308 even when new. Had the charge port replaced under warranty at 50,000 miles due to intermittent "failure to open" events. I also replaced the 12V battery proactively (no failure of OEM), at 48,000 with one of the Ohmmu Li batteries. No other issues. I historically charge the vast majority of the time using Superchargers (close to home, free lifetime Supercharging, and is often completely empty). So far no wheel or tire damage due to potholes.

130,000 km (~81,000 miles) after almost exactly 3 years here in Canada. Battery is still fine, and reports a drop of just 5km (~3miles) from new.

Issues
Heater rarely works unless the car has been allowed to deep sleep, even then it's intermittent. I get the "climate keeper error" message.
Charge flap won't open or close using the app, screen or by tapping it.
Rear heated seats stopped working at some point too.

• Informative
Reactions: reductase and KenC
26786 miles, 2 weeks before the 1 year mark.

No issues that were not fixed. Range has dropped but it's a non-issue and I don't look at it at all. (~296 miles)

Driver side headlight went at 6 months.
Wiring issue with front ultrasonic sensors

Last edited:
2019 model 3 performance
32k on the clock

problems that have occurred: 12V battery message popped up. mobile service came and swapped it out about a month ago.

not sure on the charge. Guess I could try.
On and I’m still on my OEM 20” tires. 6/32 left

ive seen a couple of youtube videos on brand new 2019 and 2020 Tesla. The capacity of a new Model 3 is 77.8kwh +- 300wh

Yep. That is where degradation shows (right around 77.8kWh - the first mile probably ticks off forever at 77.6kWh or so). I suspect over a larger set of observed vehicles you would see values in the high 78kWh occasionally for those older models. Would have to go searching for old videos and SMT captures on brand new cars of that vintage. Pretty sure there are some in the mid 78kWh range when brand new but not sure. If the units of kWh are comparable, the EPA test said the capacity was 79.5kWh (but the units may not be scaled the same way in BMS and EPA calibrated equipment, so that's a bit misleading and I wouldn't necessarily expect the BMS to read 79.5kWh if 79.5kWh was really available - BMS might just use larger kWh due to miscalibration of the unit of kWh).

I was kidding about the 81kWh. @KenC probably just had an initially very healthy (maybe in the mid to high 78kWh range initially), AND he has a slowly degrading battery - which clearly exist, from the reports above. It's a lottery!

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
45K Miles M3P

full charge is 267 miles
Onboard charger has failed 3 times.
had both struts replaced.
rear view mirror keeps dropping to reverse position and gets stuck there (even after 3 repairs)
Lots of wind noise from front windshield now
Had cameras replaced 4 times
Car has a propensity to eat up rear passenger tire in 3 months (all other tires at 11/32, RR tire 5/32 after just 3 months
Trunk constantly fills up with water even after 4 repairs/replacements

I’m scared to own this car out of warranty.
Service center used to give loaners now only an Uber credit.
Probably will trade it in soon before I hit 50k
Love the car but can’t help but feel like I’m not valued as a customer.

Edit: I’ve noticed my average wh/mi creep from 270 to 350. Driving habits haven’t changed. Any suggestions regarding this?

45K Miles M3P

full charge is 267 miles
Onboard charger has failed 3 times.
had both struts replaced.
rear view mirror keeps dropping to reverse position and gets stuck there (even after 3 repairs)
Lots of wind noise from front windshield now
Had cameras replaced 4 times
Car has a propensity to eat up rear passenger tire in 3 months (all other tires at 11/32, RR tire 5/32 after just 3 months
Trunk constantly fills up with water even after 4 repairs/replacements

I’m scared to own this car out of warranty.
Service center used to give loaners now only an Uber credit.
Probably will trade it in soon before I hit 50k
Love the car but can’t help but feel like I’m not valued as a customer.

Edit: I’ve noticed my average wh/mi creep from 270 to 350. Driving habits haven’t changed. Any suggestions regarding this?

I had your exact same problem with the side view mirror. Did they just do a "repair" or swap the entire housing? They replaced the entire mirror arm on my car and that fixed it.