Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 is at 88k miles and on the original control arms, the 2021 is at 43k miles and I had them replaced two weeks ago due to horrible squeaking.
You replaced both your Teslas??

My April '18 build Model 3 that I got in May '18 is at 119,936 miles. I will drive it enough tomorrow to expire the 8 year / 120,000 mile drive train warranty, in 5 years and 4-1/2 months!
Umm.. the warranty on the 2018 models was 100,000 miles, the longer warranty didn't come until 2019 I think. I got a few pity repairs after I crossed the 100,000 mile line but they were not shy about letting me know I was out of warranty in the app.

You replaced both your Teslas??

Umm.. the warranty on the 2018 models was 100,000 miles, the longer warranty didn't come until 2019 I think. I got a few pity repairs after I crossed the 100,000 mile line but they were not shy about letting me know I was out of warranty in the app.
Not true as I have a 2018 model now with 113,000 miles
1695996698341.png

Reactions: android04
2019 M3P- still as new at 70k miles. Tesla came to our house and replaced the 12v battery at 65k miles, for $110, and the front skid plate under warranty when that crumbled off at 50k miles. Other than that a cracked windshield at 65k miles. Every car in Montana gets rock-cracked windshields, usually sooner than 65k miles. The 2019 has a recorded 7% range loss but that's not entirely reflected in the actual range. It's more a calibration number. Oh, and a new set of tires at 65k miles.

Just bought a new 2023 M3P now with 2k miles. Kept the 2019. Transferred FSDb from the 2019 to the 2023. With discounts the 2023 with FSDb cost me less than the 2019, 27.5k total discounts. Tesla would only give me 25k for the 2019 so I kept it. My wife insisted on keeping it for her. Couldn't get a known car that good for that price. Lots of improvements on the 2023. I was impressed. Tesla actually listened to what people said and made some changes.

Don't think you can say "Not True". You presented one Tesla document, I presented another. They appear to disagree. Wonder which is correct, or perhaps there's a 3rd option.
My guess you posted a mid-range or short-range not a long range which has the higher warranty. Most 2018’s were the long range variety which has the 8 year 120,000 mile warranty.

Reactions: android04
Was just thinking. What do people do with their cars when a battery needs replacement outside of the warranty?

Do they sell it at a $15K discount? Who buys them?

If the battery ever dies while I still own my Model 3, I'll just pay 10k-15k for another pack that will likely last another 5-10 years.

Yeah, but given the danger of batteries catching fire, who is reusing such battery packs? And who can harvest them and install them? Very few people, I understand, which is why there is apparently a long wait for 3rd party battery replacements. The liability issues are huge and, physically, they're really hard to move and work with. Interesting problem, to be sure. The market will only get bigger for 3rd partyEV battery replacements.

Anyone want to start an EV battery refurbishing business with me? ;)

I assume there are already people who buy these battery packs and sell them for replacement. Sure they are hard to move, but given an official Tesla battery replacement costs $15k, there is a market for the packs and the skills.

I would think we would hear about people getting this done here, like why would someone have a super expensive repair and not talk about it here? Perhaps they are then put off by Tesla and end up in the opposition group and come off as anti-Tesla zealots when they post.

If the battery ever dies while I still own my Model 3, I'll just pay 10k-15k for another pack that will likely last another 5-10 years.

I assume there are already people who buy these battery packs and sell them for replacement. Sure they are hard to move, but given an official Tesla battery replacement costs $15k, there is a market for the packs and the skills.
I find it hard to believe there is much of a market currently. Model 3 batteries (or even Model S) batteries just aren't that old yet. Other than, maybe a few extreme mileage vehicles, failures, while very rare, are going to be infant-mortality issues that would generally surface before the warranty runs out.
We might start seeing a real market for replacement Model S batteries but that market would just now be slowly starting to materialize as the early cars approach the dozen-year mark.
Our 2009 Roadster is having its original battery equalized now, as we speak (1st time in 15 years). It's range is certainly down but it is still the original.

I find it hard to believe there is much of a market currently. Model 3 batteries (or even Model S) batteries just aren't that old yet. Other than, maybe a few extreme mileage vehicles, failures, while very rare, are going to be infant-mortality issues that would generally surface before the warranty runs out.
We might start seeing a real market for replacement Model S batteries but that market would just now be slowly starting to materialize as the early cars approach the dozen-year mark.
Our 2009 Roadster is having its original battery equalized now, as we speak (1st time in 15 years). It's range is certainly down but it is still the original.

I agree there isn't much demand for replacement batteries yet, since the first Model 3 units came out only 7 years ago, but I bet you people are already researching the best way to salvage and replace these batteries. There have been thousands of Model 3 units that are wrecked, and many of these have batteries still intact - I should know, as this happened to one of my cars - the car was still showing on my Tesla app 3 months after the total loss.

In a year or two the first generation Model 3 units are all going to be out of battery warranty.