Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Home Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look on page 78 of the book by Rogers, "TESLA Model S The Best Car Ever! where it displays charging rates. E.g. 240V at 40 amps charges at the rate of 31 miles per hour of charging. While 240V at 80 amps (High Power) charges at the rate of 62 miles per hour of charging. Double the amps, double the rate. All depends on how much you need to charge and how much of a hurry you are in. Do the math.

I had an electrician install both a NEMA 14-50 and an HPWC at home. Remember you have to get twin chargers on the car to take advantage of the HPWCs 80 amp charging rate. The HPWC comes with it's own cable. If you go the NEMA 14-50 route, you should probably invest in an additional UMC so you can always have one in the garage and a separate one in the car.

I think the hpwc is just cleaner and stouter. No need to deal with concerns for the plug. It makes me more comfortable that it's hard wired. Personal preference. The speed of charging is an added bonus as far as I'm concerned but I only use 40-60 miles per day.

All I have is a 14-50 also. However, I might put in an HWPC, not because of the faster charging--I'd set the jumpers so that it could be used with a 50 amp breaker just like the UMC--but because the cord is a bit longer (the UMC can't reach the car if it's actually in the garage, and the connection is more solid because it's non-removable.

I have 18,000 miles on my car and have a +/- 100 mile daily commute. I've been charging on a 20 amp / 240 volt circuit (former hot tub) since last March with no problems. I'm just lazy... I've got about half of the wiring installed for a proper 50 amp outlet, but have not yet had the compelling need for it.

I have 18,000 miles on my car and have a +/- 100 mile daily commute. I've been charging on a 20 amp / 240 volt circuit (former hot tub) since last March with no problems. I'm just lazy... I've got about half of the wiring installed for a proper 50 amp outlet, but have not yet had the compelling need for it.

OK, you got me. Which half do you have installed? Ground and neutral? One hot and one neutral?

Interesting visual, but I understand. Thanks.

Good Day All,

I just ordered the 85S and I really like all the options I picked except the High Power Home Charging. Do I really need this? Can someone with or without the charging give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

You don't really need it.. but I think there are some factors that make the HPWC compelling:

I got the HPWC for more than just for aesthetics (although I must admit it looks cool):

- I plan on an 100A installation at some point... while the 50A circuit I currently have is plenty for overnight charging... there are cases where a "fast turnaround" or decision for spontaneous trip have come up, and the near-60MPH charge rate would be preferable as opposed to the under-30MPH rate

- I don't consider the UMC "permanent installation" device. As a matter of fact the "M" in "UMC" stands for "mobile". I understand leaving it plugged in most of the the time, but I'm not sure that time, flex, weight, etc... won't take it's toll on the plug-head/adapter combo.

-The HPWC has a cable hanger and "plug hook" in addition as well as a slightly longer cable.

- I want a charging cable in the car at all times. That means that if I want a permanent UMC for the garage, I'm already at $650. Spending the difference for the HPWC for the above reasons isn't that much of an additional expense in the overall scheme.

Last edited:
I ended up installing Tesla's HPWC. In my situation, the cost of running any 208/240v power to my garage was high enough that I felt I might as well go all the way. I ran 200 amp service to the garage to future proof. Part of the reason was to have permanently mounted gear for the special EV electric rate and for reliability. Plus, anything over a 30A EVSE was as expensive or more expensive than the Tesla HPWC.

if I had to do it again, I would probably put in a L6-30 socket and use the new Clipper Creek J1772 EVSE's which are under $600. The L6-30 is locking, which I prefer and can be used with many generators. I can then also have pig tails for 10-40, 14-30, and so forth. Plus, I can then have a L6-30 extension cable in addition to the 25 foot cable on the EVSE. That's for when you need the extra run to make it to a laundry room for the dryer socket. I would probably also pick up an extra j1772 adapter that stays with the EVSE usually and keep one in the car. When I know I am going on a trip, I can then take the EVSE and the extension cable and pig tails.

i have used the full 80A twin charger capability on occasion, but there are so few opportunities for me especially with both Tesla Supercharging availability and the fact that Tesla is not as open to owner charging at their Gallerias.

OK, you got me. Which half do you have installed? Ground and neutral? One hot and one neutral?

No, there was a 20 amp 120/240 supply to a hot tub that ran through my garage. I never use the hot tub and plan to have it removed. I temporarily cut and extended the circuit over to an outlet I use for the car. Separately, I have installed a circuit of #6 through the garage and into my basement (where my main panel is located). I just haven't completed the wiring to my panel and to the NEMA 14-50 in the garage yet.

Wow!!! This forum is just fantastic! Now I know I'm buying the right car because there are so many smart owners out there. Within 6 hours, I got enough intelligent responses to make my decision easier. Thank you so much!!! The fact that there is a forum like this to answer all my questions made my buying decision much easier. You are ROCK!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for all your response. I have one more question! I'm a Wall Street trader and I know nothing about electricity except that I can't live without it. I can tell you about trading options/futures, but when it comes to amps and volts, I'm as green as the grinch. When I contact my electrician, what do I need to get for my garage?

1) Do I need new wires and panel?
2) Anything additional to install?
3) How much will it cost me?

Thanks in advance for your help!

When I contact my electrician, what do I need to get for my garage?

It will all depend on the size of your existing service to the house and where your main service is in relation to the garage. It can vary a lot. Your best bet is to get a good qualified (and licensed if required in your area) electrician to assess the situation and give you a quote. If the quote seems high, get a second one.

@Tongdak: I went with Solar City (Tesla's recommended installer) to start (though in Virginia Solar City is not licensed, so they referred me to Mr. Electric, who was trained and approved by Tesla to do HPWC installs). I went with Mr. Electric because in addition to the HPWC install I had them install a NEMA 14-50 (for my Model E!) and also a new electric meter so my Tesla's charging bill was a separate bill (so I could know how much it costs me to charge and so I could take advantage of Dominion Virginia Power's EV Pricing Plan). I also have a 60 foot run from my main breaker panel to the garage. The installer did a great job coordinating with the power company (who had to shut off service to the house), the County inspector (since permits were pulled inspections had to be made), and everything. I have 100 amp service from the main bus, and I get a full 80 amps at the car via the HPWC. Works like a charm!

I had an electrician install a NEMA 14-50 in my garage just prior to getting my Model S a few months ago and have been getting along just fine with my mobile charger. At the same time, however, I had the electrician install a 100 amp breaker and run the wires to a desired HPWC location just above the NEMA outlet. He capped the 100 amp wires and left them. Last week, I bought an HPWC and installed it myself, using the lines the electrician ran. It was a piece of cake. The most nerve-wracking part was using a hole saw to cut a hole in the back of the unit. I was afraid I'd slip and damage the internal components. As it turned out, it was no problem.

I didn't really need an HPWC. I've been charging 95+% of the time at 24 amps, just to be gentle on the battery pack. At most, I've charged fewer than five or six times at 40 amps from the existing NEMA 14-50. Accordingly, I'll probably charge at 80 amps only a couple of times a year, presumably on days when we're making a fast turnaround from a typical day of commuting to an out of town trip in the evening.

I justified an HPWC to myself by recognizing that while fast charging at my home is largely wasted on me, it benefits other Model S owners who are traveling, and this strengthens the entire Tesla community. Now that I have it, I like the look, the robust cable, and the convenience of leaving my mobile charger in the microwave all the time, just in case I ever need it when I'm out and about.