Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Wall Charger - Tesla recommends temporarily cutting amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bypass the fuses inside the HPWC - you already have it on a 100A breaker, the internal fuses are not really needed.
I don't recommend this. Why run things against manufacturer recommendation when you don't need to?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry guys. I must have lost track.

Where do we stand now on 80 amp charging? I have the latest version of 4.5. Am I still limited to 60amps? If not, can I charge at 80 without getting new fuses? I would prefer not to blow the HPWC fuses. Was it strictly a firmware fix, or do I need the new fuses also?
1. Wait for Tesla to retrofit your HPWC with new fuses. Contact them if you get impatient.
2. With 4.5, you have to click past the 60 prompt to use a higher value. In future firmware, this will become less annoying.

That's my understanding at least.

1. Wait for Tesla to retrofit your HPWC with new fuses. Contact them if you get impatient.
2. With 4.5, you have to click past the 60 prompt to use a higher value. In future firmware, this will become less annoying.

That's my understanding at least.

K. Thanks Bman. Not impatient at all just getting it all clear. The "wild" times in the 70's must be catching up to me.:smile: I don't even really need the 60 amps since I generally drive less than 30 miles a day. I just charge it to about 160 miles (65%?) pretty much finishes in less than 30 minutes for the most part.

Indeed, ownership@tesla recently told me this behavior will be "fixed" in an upcoming software release. Until then, we have to manually override it every time.
Hmmm, I have my HPWC (new one with the 150A fuses) on an 80A breaker with the dip switches set to 80A. I've never manually adjusted the current and it always ramps up to 63 or 64 Amps (64 is the 80% continuous derating limit). I have firmware 1.33.51 (4.5). Never updated it, car was delivered 6/28. Perhaps it's a function of a KW limit as my voltage is running about 235 which works out to just a shade over 15KW at 64A.

Hmmm, I have my HPWC (new one with the 150A fuses) on an 80A breaker with the dip switches set to 80A. I've never manually adjusted the current and it always ramps up to 63 or 64 Amps (64 is the 80% continuous derating limit). I have firmware 1.33.51 (4.5). Never updated it, car was delivered 6/28. Perhaps it's a function of a KW limit as my voltage is running about 235 which works out to just a shade over 15KW at 64A.

That makes no sense to me... I have mine set to 90 and the screen always drops the limit to 60. I can ramp it up to 72 manually after charging has started, but I have to do it every time. Mind answering a few questions?
1) While the car is unplugged in its normal parking spot, what's the charging screen say with respect to the set point (both the dial any any messages around it, e.g. whether it's a custom setting)?
2) Plug the car in -- does the above change at all?
3) Are you able to raise the limit (to 65) after charging has started? If you can, leave it at 65, unplug, and plug back in -- does it stay at 65? Return to 64 if applicable.

I wonder if there is a way the new HPC is able to signal the car ... does anyone else here have a new HPWC (not retrofitted) that can comment on > 60A charging behavior?

That makes no sense to me... I have mine set to 90 and the screen always drops the limit to 60. I can ramp it up to 72 manually after charging has started, but I have to do it every time. Mind answering a few questions?
1) While the car is unplugged in its normal parking spot, what's the charging screen say with respect to the set point (both the dial any any messages around it, e.g. whether it's a custom setting)?
2) Plug the car in -- does the above change at all?
3) Are you able to raise the limit (to 65) after charging has started? If you can, leave it at 65, unplug, and plug back in -- does it stay at 65? Return to 64 if applicable.

I wonder if there is a way the new HPC is able to signal the car ... does anyone else here have a new HPWC (not retrofitted) that can comment on > 60A charging behavior?
1) 64A
2) no, stays the same
3) no, limited to 64A

Note that the actual charging current seems to waver between 63 and 64. Also, my voltage seems to waver between 234 and 235. This is why I wonder if the limit is watts, not amps (as 63*235 and 64*234 are both less than 15K).

An additional point, my HPWC was originally on a 50A breaker and set to 50A via dip switches. The car charged at 40A and showed a max of 40A on the screen. When I got my electrician to install the correct breaker (80A) and change the dip settings, the car immediately picked up the 64A setting. No one set it manually.

To confirm, my HPWC is a new one that came with the new fuses and was not retrofitted. If the new HPWC has different signaling firmware, they REALLY should have changed the part number.

Last edited:
Indeed, ownership@tesla recently told me this behavior will be "fixed" in an upcoming software release. Until then, we have to manually override it every time.

Curiously, on the previous 4.5 the annoying 60A message went away. But I got the message the other day so it's back.

Or... they realized that 70A stations are okay and still bug you about 80A stations. That might explain what I'm seeing.

Sorry, a little bit of confusion. I was saying the test is to set the HPWC switches for an 80Amp breaker (to deliver 64A max to the car). That's my situation and it defaults to 64Amp. We know that setting it to a 100Amp breaker causes the default 60Amp behavior.