Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Power Wall Charger - Tesla recommends temporarily cutting amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have a question about the current setup. Can I set up the HPWC dip switches for the 100 amp house breaker and set the car (if it doesn't do it automatically) for 60 amp charging? Is this ok so when TM announces that 80 amp charging is good to go I don't have to mess with the dip switches and I can just change the rate on the touchscreen?

I still have a question about the current setup. Can I set up the HPWC dip switches for the 100 amp house breaker and set the car (if it doesn't do it automatically) for 60 amp charging? Is this ok so when TM announces that 80 amp charging is good to go I don't have to mess with the dip switches and I can just change the rate on the touchscreen?

You can do that, since Tesla built a temporary limiter in the car's software.

Brian, Jason is correct. Al, as I understand it, that's how you're supposed to do it. Iirc, messing with the switches is only for telling the unit what it can draw from the wall.

You can do that, since Tesla built a temporary limiter in the car's software.

Thank you both as always.

Ironically, the electric guys are crawling all over the yard and garage as I type finally getting the HPWC installed. My car is still at the park awaiting transport.:confused:

I upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 today while at work (sorry Al), and I came home before an appointment and charged at 80A. No issues.

Come home this evening after a lot of running around, I come home and plug in. I get the screen for the first time and the car limits down to 60A. Wonder if it's triggered by something vs just the software? I know I had 4.3 before with no warnings.

I upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 today while at work (sorry Al), and I came home before an appointment and charged at 80A. No issues.

Come home this evening after a lot of running around, I come home and plug in. I get the screen for the first time and the car limits down to 60A. Wonder if it's triggered by something vs just the software? I know I had 4.3 before with no warnings.

I had warnings on 4.3 when first starting to charge at public 70A station. Was able to manually override to 70A, but got this warning twice while on 4.3.

Following up on something my electrical inspector mentioned today...

Is there anyone that has an installed HPWC without the UL labelling (see picture)?
TeslaModelSHPWC_ULLogo.png

Following up on something my electrical inspector mentioned today...

Is there anyone that has an installed HPWC without the UL labelling (see picture)?
View attachment 20740

They didn't ship until they were UL listed, that was part of the delay. I don't think you'll find any that aren't listed.

That said, someone mentioned that the UMC doesn't have a symbol on it, but I tend to think they do indeed have it listed and the symbol's just not there. This is because NEC 625.13 requires that any 240V EVSE connected via plug-and-cord must be "part of a system identified and listed as suitable for the purpose".

They didn't ship until they were UL listed, that was part of the delay. I don't think you'll find any that aren't listed.
My electrical inspector was under the (different) impression that some of the early ones were not UL listed (or at least not labelled as such). He specifically mentioned it in reference to the ones that were having trouble vs. the ones that weren't.

My electrical inspector was under the (different) impression that some of the early ones were not UL listed (or at least not labelled as such). He specifically mentioned it in reference to the ones that were having trouble vs. the ones that weren't.

Listing #FFWA.E351001, 12/11/2012. There may have been some early prototype examples, but as far as I know, all production shipments were listed. I can't find a listing for the UMC at all, perhaps he was thinking of that?

Good to find this thread. I got the HPWC about a month ago. At 80A it was drawing enough to warm the conduit. The second day of charging I popped a breaker on my main (150A). The 100A on the sub panel was OK and there was no way I was drawing down another 50A on the sub.... But that would point to a faulty 100A breaker. So, I dialed down to 60A and all has been great. I now wonder if the overload was caused by something in the HPWC. Hmmmm.

I got the HPWC about a month ago. At 80A it was drawing enough to warm the conduit.
Hmm, how big is the wire feeding your HPWC?

The second day of charging I popped a breaker on my main (150A). The 100A on the sub panel was OK and there was no way I was drawing down another 50A on the sub.... But that would point to a faulty 100A breaker.
I think it's more likely that your 150A breaker is faulty and tripped prematurely, not that the 100A breaker is faulty and didn't trip as designed. I'd bet that your service panel has never seen a constant 80A load before, not to mention whatever else your house was doing.

I now wonder if the overload was caused by something in the HPWC.
The HPWC itself does not draw any significant amount of power - all it does is close a contactor after the car is plugged in and tell the car how much current it can pull. Worst case it might pull 20W depending on the contactor. The overload can only be caused by the car.

The HPWC itself does not draw any significant amount of power - all it does is close a contactor after the car is plugged in and tell the car how much current it can pull. Worst case it might pull 20W depending on the contactor. The overload can only be caused by the car.

In theory, there could be a short in the HPWC, but it's highly unlikely. :) The car determines the draw.

The warmth from the HPWC is coming from the fact it's sealed and those fuses heat up pretty good @ 80A. If indoors, some vents up top in the HPWC would likely make 80A charging a non-issue.

My HPWC has never blown a fuse or anything, but before the update limited it to 60A, if I went to unplug it while it was still charging or just completed charging, I would burn my hand.

The part connected to the car?

Or are you talking of the UMC and not the HPWC? UMC's have had a problem with melting lately.

N.B.: This artificial limit on HPWC's also affects high power EVSE's in the field, such as Roadster HPC's and Sun Country Highway-installed CS-90's (Clipper Creek)!!

On a recent road trip we encountered the same 60A limit, and the need to click through the dialogs on-screen to get back to 70A charging. Actually, charging was limited to 69A and only drew 68A (off by one software error?).

You are NOT warned about the limit when you plug in, it is just imposed silently! This caused us wasted time at the first charge stop before we discovered the issue.