Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher value EVs not eligible for £3,000 PiCG (grant) anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Company car drivers (except for P of course) will actually be slightly better off now since BIK is calculated on the gross vehicle price before the grant.
Of course its only peanuts this year because BIK is at 1% but, given today's announcements, I can't see BIK staying low for much longer.
To give visibility to fleets they have undertaken to hold at 2% until 24/25 - but a change wouldn't surprise me, gov love to move the goalposts.

Disagree. That argument only works if there are decent sub 30k cars. People who can't afford a 50k car still need the range....

From a different angle, would Tesla sell as many cars in UK without the grant? I would wager probably not, since the luxury tax was putting people off at a mere 1.6k

It's another ICE of the road for 3k. Whether it's 100k car or 20k car should not matter to the Gov. It's a single pot of money - and besides, Gov gets more tax back from 100k car purchase than 20k. So you got to ask your self, is this a "benefit" for people who can't afford cars, or is it to get more EVs on the road?
The GOV.UK page suggests that there are 50% more EVs now that are sub-£35k than there were in 2019. I don't know how true that is.

I just had a quick look on the BMW configurator for my last car (Evezy i3 120Ah) and it starts at £36,575 - so that's out unless BMW reduce the price. As @pdk42 said the VW ID3 is out too.

Perhaps the grant really is intended to be for people replacing runabout cars only.

Strange how this wasn't mentioned at all in the budget, just announced and effective immediately.

Strange how this wasn't mentioned at all in the budget, just announced and effective immediately.

Strange indeed. Almost though they recognised it would be a monumental moment of hypocrisy to announce *another* fuel duty freeze and this at the same time, while trumpeting their green credentials.

As far as I am aware, the EV plug-in car grant is there to encourage the adoption of EVs. That's it. The irony of this is that larger, more expensive cars are the ones that are more polluting, so for example your average e-tron/ipace driver would, in theory, be a better target for a subsidy to sway them away from buying a Q7/X5 type vehicle.

I understand the politics here - but the greenwashed justification in the press release is laughable. UK government has frozen petrol/diesel duties for 11 years, which is a huge effective subsidy to the fossil fuel industry.

Effective policy would be to use the stick (higher fuel duty) and carrot (PICG and low BIK). - if they really want to incentivise the switch to EV's

But effective and government - those two words don't go together

Strange indeed. Almost though they recognised it would be a monumental moment of hypocrisy to announce *another* fuel duty freeze and this at the same time, while trumpeting their green credentials.

As far as I am aware, the EV plug-in car grant is there to encourage the adoption of EVs. That's it. The irony of this is that larger, more expensive cars are the ones that are more polluting, so for example your average e-tron/ipace driver would, in theory, be a better target for a subsidy to sway them away from buying a Q7/X5 type vehicle.
That argument presupposes that at that end of the market the decision comes down to cost. I'd argue the more you're spending the more you're probably looking at the brand's aspirational qualities, "keeping up with the Joneses", etc with the price being a case of "it is what it is". If you're spending that much - cash or lease/PCP - then the grant is probably neither here nor there, and is a bonus if you get it.

I guess what I'm saying is - if you were inclined to buy an e-tron/ipace, a Tesla, or even a Q7/X5 then there's probably a significant aspect of that purchasing decision based on the brand, and you were always going to buy whichever one you have an affinity for - grant or no grant.

There is arguably collateral damage in so much as longer range cars tend to be more expensive, and if you need the range you need the range. As it is though - the prices of SR+ and LR are unchanged, so Tesla is essentially absorbing the £3,000 hit from the loss of the grant they would have claimed before today. People ordering now aren't going to be paying any more for a Tesla, from what I can tell.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Effective policy would be to use the stick (higher fuel duty) and carrot (PICG and low BIK). - if they really want to incentivise the switch to EV's

But effective and government - those two words don't go together
My guess is that all this boils down to "We are out of cash, lets remove something that we wont lose too many votes over"

The government said that higher-priced vehicles are typically bought by drivers who can afford to switch to electric vehicles without a subsidy.

It said the changes will allow funding for the grant to go further.

Transport minister Rachel Maclean said: "We want as many people as possible to be able to make the switch to electric vehicles."

"The increasing choice of new vehicles, growing demand from customers, and rapidly rising number of chargepoints means that while the level of funding remains as high as ever, given soaring demand, we are re-focusing our vehicle grants on the more affordable zero emission vehicles."

I think it may be time to drop it for company car purchases. the incentives for company car drivers in reduced company car tax alone can be over £6000 per year compared with an ICE so I doubt the loss of the grant is going to influence the purchase. and if it pushes a Tesla out of budget they will get something else instead.

Reactions: Jez_GB and MrBadger
My guess is that all this boils down to "We are out of cash, lets remove something that we wont lose too many votes over"

That the government is out of cash is clear. Debt is now around £2.11 trillion, up £316 billion in the last year. This debt has to be paid back sometime and it will take decades. Luckily interest on government debt is currently very low but that could change.

While encouraging people to adopt EVs is obviously good, I really don’t see how in the current circumstances we can justify giving grants to enable people to buy expensive cars, and over £35k is pretty expensive. Are grants for EVs a higher priority than the NHS, affordable housing, education, or even police or defence?

And where does the money come from? As the wonderful Margaret Thatcher used tos say, “There’s no such thing as public money - only tax payer’s money”.

Tesla have absorbed the loss of the grant on SR+ and LR from what I can see. In that respect, for Teslas at least, it doesn't matter when you ordered.

In other words - the price you had to pay was £40,490 (SR+) and £46,990 (LR) yesterday, and it's the same today.

Depends on how you look at it. As someone that was looking to replace my current diesel leased motor at the end of year, I was literally at the limit of affordability for the M3 SR+, so the grant just made it achievable. Sadly, now it might be back to the drawing board unless Tesla drop the price.
I wonder how long the grants for home chargers will last now too?

Tesla have absorbed the loss of the grant on SR+ and LR from what I can see. In that respect, for Teslas at least, it doesn't matter when you ordered.

In other words - the price you had to pay was £40,490 (SR+) and £46,990 (LR) yesterday, and it's the same today.
No actually, the rep on the call said their IT team was on it to update the prices. So any new orders placed today will get updated email saying their prices has increased. At least this is what I was told from the rep on the call.

Depends on how you look at it. As someone that was looking to replace my current diesel leased motor at the end of year, I was literally at the limit of affordability for the M3 SR+, so the grant just made it achievable. Sadly, now it might be back to the drawing board unless Tesla drop the price.
I wonder how long the grants for home chargers will last now too?
OLEV grant was always a scam, imo, and remains so.

"OLEV approved" installers are aware of it, so they can just massage the quote they give you to absorb the grant, so you aren't actually any better off.

There might be some genuine ones out there, but given that it's free money to them - I'm not convinced.