Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher value EVs not eligible for £3,000 PiCG (grant) anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m so confused by all of this.

I’m starting a new job in three months time which has the mileage to justify model 3 (going from 4K miles pa to 15 K miles p)
I was planning to order a model 3 long range with tow bar in white between June and September once settled into the new job.

I have wanted a model three for several years but Couldn’t make the numbers work with such low annual mileage

Can’t work out if I should just try and buy one now in all of this craziness and it will drive almost nowhere for three months, or hold off and risk the fact that the price will effectively to me go up by 3K if I hesitate 🤷‍♂️
You are trying to guess what a Tesla price will be in the future, that's entirely impossible. The price today is for June delivery, so take it or leave it, you'll save if it comes down, but be locked in if it goes up.

Back in 2019 when I ordered the price changed twice, then LR model became discontinued, then became continued again all between ordering a delivery. You can't predict the future.

I just went to the Tesla website and added to the basket the exact same spec. White LR with Tow hitch, standard 18s, black interior.

It shows the price as £46,990 + £1300 for tow hitch = £48,290

This is the same price as when I last did it a week ago BUT when I go to PCP and put in 10% deposit, 15k pa, 48 months:

It says £686 per month when last week it said £644 per month. So in this calc it looks like the £3k isn't being absorbed by Tesla but rather increasing the finance.

I wouldn’t assume Tesla is going to take the hit here....
63A2FA3D-832E-4E36-95FD-58BA7026E541.png

Well maybe Tesla have slipped up on their website. The confusion isn't pleasant for anyone ordering.

I just checked VW's website on a £40K ID.4, they haven't changed it at all and they still show the grant (as an optional extra) with a clear "correct as of" caveat. So they are covered by the caveat.

I’m sure Tesla will increase the price eventually. How do I know?

I ordered a LR on Sunday, cancelled the order last night via email (don’t ask why, makes me sad :(... ). Today I received an email from Tesla advising that the government has removed the grant effective today (etc.) and if I follow through with the cancellation, I will lose out on the £3000 discount.

Logic follows that if they are advising that I’d lose the discount, then an order in the future won’t include the discount. Hence price will be increased.

Unless, of course, it’s an elaborate ploy to keep my foot in the door and none of the above is true, which is entirely plausible.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I’m sure Tesla will increase the price eventually. How do I know?

I ordered a LR on Sunday, cancelled the order last night via email (don’t ask why, makes me sad :(... ). Today I received an email from Tesla advising that the government has removed the grant effective today (etc.) and if I follow through with the cancellation, I will lose out on the £3000 discount.

Logic follows that if they are advising that I’d lose the discount, then an order in the future won’t include the discount. Hence price will be increased.

Unless, of course, it’s an elaborate ploy to keep my foot in the door and none of the above is true, which is entirely plausible.
It does sound like the price is going up once they sort out the website etc. But it's also quite feasible that they simply don't really know what they are doing. Or that they will change their mind at any second. Especially if the Musk gets involved on Twitter!

I ordered this morning at around 7:30am and received a text saying the plug-in grant has been removed from my order as I ordered after 7:00am. It doesn't say anything about the price going up, but after talking to a Tesla representative, they seemed to suggest it would be going up in price. I've been saving up for nearly 2 years to put down as much as possible in the initial payment. Decided to hold off ordering in December to save up a couple of thousand more, and sadly the increase would mean I'd be paying more a month than if I ordered in December and had the car today. Also if the monthly payments do go up a lot, I may have to cancel and wait a while longer again. Feels like a massive slap in the face and I've been feeling defeated all day about this.

Hopefully the US Tesla team/Elon can figure something out to stop us taking the hit. :(

I ordered this morning at around 7:30am and received a text saying the plug-in grant has been removed from my order as I ordered after 7:00am. It doesn't say anything about the price going up, but after talking to a Tesla representative, they seemed to suggest it would be going up in price. I've been saving up for nearly 2 years to put down as much as possible in the initial payment. Decided to hold off ordering in December to save up a couple of thousand more, and sadly the increase would mean I'd be paying more a month than if I ordered in December and had the car today. Also if the monthly payments do go up a lot, I may have to cancel and wait a while longer again. Feels like a massive slap in the face and I've been feeling defeated all day about this.

Hopefully the US Tesla team/Elon can figure something out to stop us taking the h
Gutting isn’t it.

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better news for those ordering.

MG have announced they are going the honour the grant price themselves for remaining orders this month, so there is hope.

It will be interesting to know why the change came about with zero notice.