Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN 2079 assigned.

https://i.redd.it/pj3c1rnxsf201.jpg

...not in the wild yet though... delivery Monday.

Are we just late hearing about the VIN assignment, or have they gotten the delivery down to a week? When was 2079 assigned?

Okay, I went and found the reddit post and answered my own question.

The poster got his invite on 11/21 (and I believe placed the order almost immediately). Like others have reported, delivery was quoted at 4 weeks, but it looks like it's just shy of 3.

Definitely seems to indicate they are probably pre-building these in batches and then assign you a VIN (that's already been built) that matches your order.

• Informative
Reactions: boiler81

The poster got his invite on 11/21 (and I believe placed the order almost immediately). Like others have reported, delivery was quoted at 4 weeks, but it looks like it's just shy of 3.

Definitely seems to indicate they are probably pre-building these in batches and then assign you a VIN (that's already been built) that matches your order.

Looks very much like they are distributing the pre built cars we have seen in storage. Worst case they would only have to switch wheels to the ones ordered. EAP is just software update.

Reactions: navguy12 and RTPEV
Are we just late hearing about the VIN assignment, or have they gotten the delivery down to a week? When was 2079 assigned?

Okay, I went and found the reddit post and answered my own question.

Who knew? Fred and Elon are both right in this tweet exchange.

upload_2017-12-7_7-47-26.png

Just some anecdotes on how much VIN assignments can change quickly

I got assigned VIN 20XX before the other user on FB got assigned 1534. The only difference in our configurations was the sport rims. • r/teslamotors

One user commented:

"As noted on the VIN 738 thread, I had THAT exact VIN for a few days and it has now been changed to 14xx, while 738 is in Marina Del Rey apparently for someone else now. There are definitely some oddities in the process."

This adds support to the pre-build theory, Tesla looks to be assigning these cars on the fly depends on who's ready to take delivery.

I had not seen a Model 3 in the wild until about half an hour ago...

...when VIN 1130 turned onto my street. SpaceX employee - car is white with 19" wheels. It was great to be able to get such a close-up look and walk around it a few times. Driver was on the phone, coming to pick someone up, so I said excuse me and asked before I started my inspection.

He used to drive an i3 and that was parked on the street a lot. So I won't have the only Model 3 on the block (which I consider to be a good thing).

I think the VINS people get will be all over the map, and in a totally nonsensical order. Probably because they are just shipping cars all over CA before they are assigned.

The big question is what does it mean that there is a VIN 2053 out there. How many cars does that mean Tesla has made, or partially made.

Reddit user: "So many new VINs. Most of them are above 1000. I saw at least 40 model 3"

Thats about the highest number of cars we have seen so far at one spot which is a strong indication that the production rate has ramped up this week. We may get next week quite an amount of new sightings above 1k in the wild.

#1112 #1372 #1345 #2053 #930 #1880 #1241 #1453 #1522 #461 #1238 #1107 #425 #937 #550 #1225 #1547 #1529 #927

is a strong indication that the production rate has ramped up this week.
I preface this with "I hope I am wrong":

If I was on a jury and I was being told that the production rate has ramped up, and the only evidence the solicitor was presenting me was what I see and read in all these various Model 3 threads (here, Model 3 Owners, Reddit, etc), I would not be convinced "beyond reasonable doubt".

To me, "ramped up" is, at a minimum, 500 units a day (14,000 a month).

I see no evidence of any rate over 500 units a week (2,150 a month).

YMMV.

That would be "ramp up completed for now, until late 2018 when 500k a year production hoped for."
I get the feeling we are at 500 a week right now.

Inside EVs figures 345 units sold in November for a total of 712 units sold so far.

VIN 2079 is the latest "highest VIN seen in the wild", so the delta (2079 minus 712) is 1367 units.

Assuming the last units sold in November were actually assembled 2.5 weeks before delivery (i.e. sequential "VIN" 712 build date/time group 1200L 12 Nov 2017)......

.......and VIN 2079 was built 1.5 weeks ago and is still being prepared for delivery (build date for sequential "VIN" 2079 01 Dec 2017)....

....12.5 Nov 2017 to 01 Dec 2017 equals 18.5 calendar days to produce 1367 units, or a rate of 74 units a day (518 units a week).

I hope I'm wrong, but I see no evidence of any production rate beyond 75 day (or about 520 week).

YMMV.

My two cents worth

If I was on a jury and I was being told that the production rate has ramped up, and the only evidence the solicitor was presenting me was what I see and read in all these various Model 3 threads (here, Model 3 Owners, Reddit, etc), I would not be convinced "beyond reasonable doubt".

YMMV.

I'd ask if they meant "ramped up" as is higher/ faster than previous levels, or "ramped up" as in the fastest it will go.
If my video game character levels up, has it peaked?
I'll see myself out...;)

YMMV.
I guess if you arbitrarily define words to mean whatever you want them to then you can never be wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: navguy12 and kbM3
I have a similar story to this week’s sightings at FDC* today (this video also posted at Investment General Discussion thread); I didn’t try to do an exhaustive VIN search because it seemed similar to prior sightings:

* FDC in this particular thread means “Fremont Delivery Center”
Gotta wonder why they're all just sitting, rather than having been delivered and converted to cash for Tesla. Something's amiss.