Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What bothers me are the VIN registration batches.

March 23rd: Up to 18540
March 30th: Up to 20581
April 5th: Up to 25374
April 6th: Up to 28289
April 23th: Up to 33466

Still the highest reported assigned VIN (I'm seen at least) is 20580, so nothing from the last 13k VINs has yet been surfaced.

Which means for more than month, there hasn't been new VINs gone through the system, not even to the stage where they assign VINs to people.

I'm reading that as the factory re-start has been very slow.

Furthermore, based on the tracking sheet, the fastest "VIN registered to VIN Assigned" from the March 30th batch (VINs 18541-20581) was less than 2 weeks (Apr 12th assigned), so it shouldn't take 4+ weeks for the latest VINs to start dripping through the system.

I am also not confident they have achieved anywhere close to pre-shut down numbers. Based purely on lurking on these forums. Perhaps some insight tonight from Mr. Musk will affirm or alter that assessment.

I would have expected, if they were back up to 2.5k to 3k a week, a vin registration batch by now.

Reactions: apacheguy
I am also not confident they have achieved anywhere close to pre-shut down numbers. Based purely on lurking on these forums. Perhaps some insight tonight from Mr. Musk will affirm or alter that assessment.

I would have expected, if they were back up to 2.5k to 3k a week, a vin registration batch by now.
Well.. we should find out today during the quarterly earnings report;)

Reactions: mongo

The highest VIN registration number (33,719) leads the highest reported configured VIN by >10,000, Tesla has lots of numbers to work through. They may be waiting for vehicles to be positioned and then provide short lead time delivery configurations. They did a 5k chunk a little over a week ago (April 23rd) and big registrations tend to occur on Friday +/- 1 day...

There were 50 vin assignments reported on the order tracking spreadsheet for Monday 4/30. This was the largest total for the last 21 days. They almost reached last weeks total by Tuesday this week. I think they are back on track based on VIN assignments for this week. Let's see how many there are by the end of the week.
(Just hoping they get back to Sport wheels soon;). It's been all aero wheels for the last few days.)

Last edited:
(Just hoping they get back to Sport wheels soon;). It's been all aero wheels for the last few days.)
Well in general they aeros are still well behind sports, especially in midnight silver and black. According to the VIN assignment sheet here: Tesla Model 3 Invites - VIN Assignment and discounting outliers (that may be people just not updating their data) MSM aeros configured as far back as 3/24 are still waiting for a VIN, and black 4/2. Sport wheel VINs are caught up to about 4/12.

But yes, it has been all aeros for the past few days.

I wish I shared such glowing optimism that they are back up to pre-shut down numbers. Not quite there yet. I have been looking closely at the data dumps available, and I just do not think the numbers are representative yet. Sustained numbers news will swing me.

I am sure Tesla is aware of the current and impending flood of Aero wheel demand based upon the number of orders for the Model 3 Aero Wheel Cap Kit. So being behind, and likely falling further behind based on those numbers, they might be making Aeros for a while...

I agree with others that it doesn’t seem the factory output is on par with what it was. I’m left scratching my head though because wasn’t the entire premise of shutting down the factory that they would improve efficiency and boost production?

I agree with others that it doesn’t seem the factory output is on par with what it was. I’m left scratching my head though because wasn’t the entire premise of shutting down the factory that they would improve efficiency and boost production?
I disagree, the VIN assignment looks like it's back to pre-shutdown level

upload_2018-5-2_9-11-8.png

I think the tendency is to associate lots of car in a lot with lots of car carrier as high production. However, spaced out car carrier arrivals/ departures that match production will result in a lightly filled lot and dull (but informative) pictures.

3000/wk->428/day->48 carriers/day->2 hours per carrier->96 carrier hours/day->16 hour day (daylightish for safety)->6 carriers on site continuously. With help, the loading could go faster, so 4 carriers in the lot might do it.