Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps NHTSA charges them per VIN registered? Maybe there are rules that a VIN cannot be registered unless production of said VIN needs to happen within X amount of weeks after being registered? Look at it this way, this gives us a little glimpse into the production ramp. It's not a very clear picture just based off of registered VINs in NHTSA, but at least it's a data point that can be merged with all of the other evidence we're able to scrounge up.

NHTSA's role here is simply to take a consumers request (i.e. does my vehicle have any open safety recalls?) and pass it on to the manufacturer via a secure API. The result of that query is then displayed to the consumer on the NHTSA/safercar.gov website. For privacy reasons, the data from these requests is not retained by NHTSA in any way. This was deemed to be a simpler and more cost-effective approach than each of the manufacturers sending data dumps to NHTSA on a daily basis to be stored in some centralized way.

So, NHTSA definitely does not charge per VIN "registered". The meaning of "register", in this context, is something more like "NHTSA has registered a response in Tesla's database for VINs XXX-XXX".

As to the rules that govern when Tesla decides to populate their database with new VIN numbers? Who knows. However, as you rightly point out, it's a useful data point that gives us insight into the larger production picture. We know that it's a ceiling because a manufacturer wouldn't be able to deliver a car that can't then be queried by the consumer taking delivery. We can also draw some concrete conclusions from the VIN registrations because of the information contained within the digits (e.g. dual motor registrations, total # of MY 2017 VINs, etc.).

671F110F-3EC0-4DF7-B7C5-672648ED6F3E.jpeg
Spotted 3 Model 3's at Highland Park, IL Tesla a few hours ago. Highest VIN was #6423. The other 2 were in the 3000's and 5000's.

I also have to say after seeing the black it has me questioning my color choice again!

!vinbot Model 3 #6423

560A3CF8-551E-49D0-9859-97F731F0E5A8.jpeg

F5B8FE47-B676-482D-85E3-2057B3346CBC.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and Frisco-Dad
Ok, this one is not in the wild, but this is my status. I made my reservation at the Tesla store the morning of 31 March 2016. I configured my Model 3 on 19 January, as soon as I noticed it in My Tesla account. I’m live in Indiana, and I’m a current Tesla owner. I just noticed I’ve been assigned VIN ...5977, but no word on a delivery date yet. It’s getting pretty exciting. :D

119 2018 Nissan LEAFs available in the USA as of today. Some with pictures and videos of actual cars. I suppose those may be for test drive only but I seriously doubt a dealer will reject your cash if your are willing to pay full MSRP.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...levance&stkTypId=28880&yrId=35797618&zc=90745

Perhaps I shouldn't have said zero. The Nissan dealer from whom I bought my Leaf is the largest Leaf dealer in our multi state region and has yet to receive any. Further, the reservation info that Nissan has peppered me with referenced March for pre order delivery.

They may exist in the US, but very few were sold in January.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Interesting! I got assigned 549X yesterday. Blue with Aeros. No call from Tesla yet, though...
Looks like maybe a batch of Blue Aeros around 54XX???
I was assigned ...5977 Friday, midnight silver metallic, 19” wheels. First day reservation holder, current owner, Indiana. Configured 19 January.

Perhaps I shouldn't have said zero. The Nissan dealer from whom I bought my Leaf is the largest Leaf dealer in our multi state region and has yet to receive any. Further, the reservation info that Nissan has peppered me with referenced March for pre order delivery.

They may exist in the US, but very few were sold in January.

There are a few on cars.com. I’m guessing that the Tennessee factory won’t make more than 50,000 this year.