Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

History Making First Recovery for SpaceX - Orbcomm-2 Launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What has gotten little publicity is that Elon stated he thought the landing was a failure with the first stage exploding upon landing.
It wasn't until he went back inside that he found out it had been a success.

This was so awesome to watch live!

Does anyone know how far downrange the first stage went before it turned around?
About 95km downrange and 180km altitude

This times article says they plan to refly it:Log In - The New York Times

They won't re-fly it but they will test the engines

They had to prove they could hit the place they aimed for. Instead of, for example, downtown Titusville.

They are also limited by the payload too. They mentioned there is a 30% hit for the land based return and a 15% hit for barge landings. When there is heavy cargo, at the limit of capacity, they may not have the ability to return at all. There was a flight earlier in the year that was at the rocket's limit and there was no legs and no chance of return. Can't remember which one now though.

Did I miss the explanation of why they even tried to land on the barge in the water the previous times? Landing on land seems to make much more sense.

The closer you can get to the equator the more the Earth's rotation helps. This is why Sea Launch placed their floating launch platform on the equator and ESA's land based launch site is very close to the equator at about 5 degrees north latitude. Cape Canaveral on the other hand is at nearly 30 degrees north latitude.

Another advantage to a sea launch is it's safer. When you're not launching over land you don't run into problems like the USSR/Russians and Chinese have had where failed launches have led to serious damage and death downrange.

Disaster at Xichang | History | Air Space Magazine

Thanks for sharing, Space X team

A great many thanks to Space X team for sharing live streaming.

Some other wanna be club members, I will not name names, only share successes and keep failure private. That is ok, but it seems like a lack of trust to me. Perhaps that lack of trust is well placed sometimes.

Space X trusts us unconditionally and gives us the opportunity to watch events live. That opportunity makes us all feel a small part of it.

Sharing is caring. We care back.:love:

Fabrication question

In the SpaceX-provided video, during the lead-up to the launch when Mr WaitButWhy is being led through the facility, he and we are shown some production facilities: a cavernous booster construction room, a Merlin engine construction room, a 3-D printer facility, and perhaps some more. That confused me, as I thought production was in California.

So.....

Q: What is created in Hawthorne, and what at Cape Canaveral? Or was that entire video not occurring in Florida but in California?

Follow-up: assuming esp. the 23-story main boosters are fabricated on the opposite coast, what do they use to get them to Cape Canaveral? Truck convoy, rail, or barge via Panama Canal?

So all the video with the WaitButWhy guy, the factory tour as well as the live commentary, was taken at SpaceX in Hawthorne, CA. I've toured those facilities myself.

My understanding is the boosters get transported mostly by truck cross country. I'm sure assembly and staging is done at the Cape.

Many people forget that the Dragon 2 capsule will land pretty much the same way so there is still many exciting landings to come.
The Dragon 2's initial flights use parachutes to land with the parachutes then used as backups to the 4 sets of Dragon thrusters.

Dragon2 landing.PNG

Is it just me? I watched the landing portion of the overall launch video over a dozen times now, and everytime my heart races and I am excited as if I am watching it live and don't know what the result is going to be. I have been generally in a very joyful mood today and have been telling anyone and everyone about this achievement, even if they have no idea who and what SpaceX is. And I also recall I was quite irritable and upset when the previous launch failed spectacularly.

Almost as a teenager as if my favorite sports team just won the world championship..

I watched it this morning having missed it live. My real excitement was watching the excitement of all the people at SpaceX.

However, being a somewhat rational type, my excitement is tempered by knowing that the object is reusability, and that this is just a step in the process. Onwards and upwards (and sideways and sideways and downwards and upwards ... )

Many people forget that the Dragon 2 capsule will land pretty much the same way so there is still many exciting landings to comeView attachment 105221
Yes, and that makes the 1st stage landing even more of a thrill to me. Ever since I was a kid in the 60's reading science fiction stories I cringe every time a capsule returns from orbit and crashes into the ocean, or, in the case of they Soyuz, slams into the earth's surface. In my favorite sci-fi, humans would land gently on the surface, retro-rockets firing. Finally, we are close to doing that in real life.
Of course the shuttle glided to a landing, but that vehicle was so incredibly complex, and the heat shield tiles so unreliable, that it never achieved anywhere near the promised reusability cost savings.
In my lifetime I expect to see a SpaceX manned capsule slowly descend onto the surface of Mars.

So all the video with the WaitButWhy guy, the factory tour as well as the live commentary, was taken at SpaceX in Hawthorne, CA. I've toured those facilities myself.

My understanding is the boosters get transported mostly by truck cross country. I'm sure assembly and staging is done at the Cape.

Yes, most of that was shot in Hawthorne. The Tesla Design Center is another building in the same campus, with the superchargers outside it.

The boosters are transported first via McGregor, Texas, where they do some of the testing. Then off to Canaveral for the rest.

Here is another angle on the landing:

The description for this video on YouTube says that the landing pad is six miles from the launch pad. Anyone know if this is true? That seems a bit far. During the launch broadcast the Manager of Falcon Recovery was describing the advantages of landing on land and said the landing pad was within 1000 feet of the processing area.

Last edited by a moderator:
And lets not stop at Dragon2. In 2016 Falcon Heavy will have its first launch. 3 stages, 9 engines per stage. If my math is correct that is 27 engines.:smile:
From the SpaceX site you can see the Falcon Heavy animation of landing all 3 stages. Not sure if they will try to land any or all stages on the demo flight but after this success it will only be a matter of time.

[video]http://www.spacex.com/falcon-heavy[/video]

falcon heavy landing.PNG

Last edited:
Here is another angle on the landing:

The description for this video on YouTube says that the landing pad is six miles from the launch pad. Anyone know if this is true? That seems a bit far. During the launch broadcast the Manager of Falcon Recovery was describing the advantages of landing on land and said the landing pad was within 1000 feet of the processing area.

probably true, 3 different places

launch
processing
landing

have to travel 1000 ft to process, quite a bit further to relaunch.

- - - Updated - - -

And lets not stop at Dragon2. In 2016 Falcon Heavy will have its first launch. 3 stages, 9 engines per stage. If my math is correct that is 27 engines.:smile:
From the SpaceX site you can see the Falcon Heavy animation of landing all 3 stages. Not sure if they will try to land any or all stages on the demo flight but after this success it will only be a matter of time.

Just to be clear on the numbers and the terminology

On Falcon 9 there are 9 engines on the first stage and 1 engine on the second stage.

On Falcon heavy there are 27 engines on the first stage and 1 engine on the second stage.

The things you are calling stages are called "cores" by SpaceX when referring to Falcon Heavy components.

Falcon Heavy | SpaceX

Second Stage
Falcon Heavy draws upon Falcon 9’s proven design, which minimizes stage separation events and maximizes reliability. The second-stage Merlin engine, identical to its counterpart on Falcon 9...

First Stage

Three cores make up the first stage of Falcon Heavy. The side cores, or boosters, are connected at the base and at the top of the center core’s liquid oxygen tank. The three cores, with a total of 27 Merlin engines, generate 20,418 kilonewtons (4.59 million pounds) of thrust at liftoff. Shortly after liftoff the center core engines are throttled down. After the side cores separate, the center core engines throttle back up to full thrust.

Last edited: