Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Few Plastic Barrels, Pay Half Your Car's Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
like the top glass, cannot be reused once it is removed so a new one is used.

Might be a mistake in the quote, but looks like they don't have the itemized cost of the rooftop front glass panel in there (right now it's an R&I item). Maybe I missed something but I don't see it.

Also noticed it's an MR RWD. Awfully close to a total still. Has this quote been approved by your insurance yet? If you have rental coverage and the adjuster can anticipate any "supplements," you might be able to make an argument that it should be a total loss.

The adjusters have significant latitude to write the vehicle off if they can make a reasonable argument for it. They just stick realistic numbers in the system up front and get it to 75% of ACV. If you're interested in a total, make sure that everything in the quote is properly accounted for (to maximize the quote), and talk to the adjuster about the possibility and find out what the insurance company thinks is the ACV/FMV of your vehicle.

You're likely doing the insurance company (and everyone else) a favor, TBH - it might not actually be a difficult argument to make that the total cost of the repairs (quote + rental + possible supplemental repair costs + storage fees (if applicable)) are going to be more than 75% of the ACV as it needs to be per NC law (apparently).

Probably the ACV/FMV is something like $35-$40k, so you just need to get the total costs to $26k-$30k. Obviously you'll take a financial hit with a total, but it might be preferable depending on your situation.

Last edited:
The salvage value plus repair cost has to be greater than the cost to buy a slightly used Midrange Model 3. I can’t imagine why your insurance company would put you through the aggravation of enduring months of down time waiting for the car to be repaired. And the repair shop may “discover” more things wrong with the car once they begin the repair, leading to an even higher final bill.

Clearly they need update the law to accommodate Teslas. I wonder why such a rule exists in the first place? Makes no sense to fix when the car would probably get at least 50% of its pre-accident value at auction.

Can't see that any high end car with that much damage wouldn't be nearly as expensive as long as the labor rates are comparable. I know a local news story said that it use to be rather inexpensive to have a bumper replaced but now with cars having so many sensors, if you need to have your bumper replaced, be ready for a big price increase.

I haven't watched the video on the original thread yet but given the speed, very glad OP is here to post about this. Any idea if there was water or sand in the barrel?

Can't see that any high end car with that much damage wouldn't be nearly as expensive as long as the labor rates are comparable. I know a local news story said that it use to be rather inexpensive to have a bumper replaced but now with cars having so many sensors, if you need to have your bumper replaced, be ready for a big price increase.

I haven't watched the video on the original thread yet but given the speed, very glad OP is here to post about this. Any idea if there was water or sand in the barrel?
Did you see anything “flying” out of the barrels? I didn’t.

OMG just watched the video and it wasn't just one barrel but should have counted how many were hit. It seemed never ending. That must have been a horrible experience being awoken to all that. Don't want to get off topic of this thread which is about the repair cost but had to express that.

OMG just watched the video and it wasn't just one barrel but should have counted how many were hit. It seemed never ending. That must have been a horrible experience being awoken to all that. Don't want to get off topic of this thread which is about the repair cost but had to express that.
I believe it was 11. Also, realize he had a rig driving next to him when he awoke and realized, “OH *SUGAR*”!!!

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Some traffic barrels weigh about 8-10 pounds and are paired with a 25-40 pound base to which it is attached (I think they are typically moved as a unit, but are of course designed to break away).

Definitely don’t want to hit something that weighs 8 pounds and is somewhat fixed to the ground with additional weight, at 70mph.

Plastic Traffic Drums, Orange Construction Barrels and Bases from Trans Supply.com!

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
In my area these "barrels" are typically weighted down with truck tire sidewalls. I'm not sure of the weight but they probably don't weight much more than 10-12 lbs.

Has the OP ever published a photo of the car's damage? The cost seems amazingly high. And that paint time is way overstated from my experience.

Has the OP ever published a photo of the car's damage?

No, but the side repeater video showing rapid unscheduled disassembly of the mirror makes it clear that the extent of the damage listed above is completely conceivable. Definitely don’t want to hit barrels! 10 pounds is a super heavy object to hit at 70mph. Imagine the weight of a baseball (admittedly less compressible and more focused - but much lighter) at 70mph. I guess you could imagine a shot put at 70mph (again, focused and not compressible, so not the same, but the total energy to be dissipated remains the same - would be over a nice wide area with the barrels)

The bases (potentially tire sidewalls) are more typically 25-40 pounds based on looking it up.

I believe it was 11. Also, realize he had a rig driving next to him when he awoke and realized, “OH *SUGAR*”!!!

Good that the car stayed in the lane I guess given side traffic until he could take over and pull to the left, although the car took a beating as a result. Thankfully OP didn't hit that big, flashing diversion signage which was ahead just a bit. I hate to think what that might have done had it penetrated his windshield.

Last edited: