Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Few Plastic Barrels, Pay Half Your Car's Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has to be a mistake, or one of the barrels was filled with concrete...

If this is how Tesla operates, I honestly don't want to have to do anything with them...

It’s a little premature to say it is a mistake if you can’t see the itemization of the damages. The OP should provide them!

There was a lot of damage from the collision. That was obvious from the original videos. I estimated less than $10k though in the other thread. So obviously there was a lot more damage and dents. Traffic barrels are HEAVY - they can’t blow over in a stiff breeze!!! You really can’t hit them.

If you damage all the front panels on your car it will be expensive.

In this case it definitely makes sense for the insurance company to total the vehicle. Obviously it is totally fine to drive other than needing a driver side mirror replacement. Maybe some parking sensor work too. Salvage value should be quite high. Surprised it has not already been totaled.

I don’t imagine it would be too difficult to have Tesla recertify it in this case, though presumably there are costs there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: liuping
Q/A

The body shop is a Tesla Certified shop. When I was there it was full of Teslas. It was the cleanest and most modern-looking body shop I've ever seen. I chose it because of the reviews and it is closer to me than the Tesla shop.

Speed was 72 to 75 when I hit the barrels.

I could post the entire estimate I guess. It's 10 pages long.

Q/A

The body shop is a Tesla Certified shop. When I was there it was full of Teslas. It was the cleanest and most modern-looking body shop I've ever seen. I chose it because of the reviews and it is closer to me than the Tesla shop.

Post it if you are comfortable doing so!

You should definitely get that thing totaled if you can. It makes zero sense to repair it, as you suggested in your original post.

I would guess the that decision by the insurance company is slightly dependent on your coverage. I guess this is a reason to add rental car coverage to your policy - drives up total repair costs and makes a total more likely.

It really should be totaled. The salvage value will be really good, unless it is non-functional right now for some reason (other than the mirror). I assume no airbags went and no pyrofuse, runs and drives.

Q/A

The real story from my vantage point is
1. The car survived collision at 72 to 75 mph. I didn’t see mentioned what was in the barrels, but I would expect the car to be totaled at that speed. I didn’t see mention of injuries but you survived to complain about the cost of repair
2. Real lesson, don’t hit anything at 72-75 mph

So the insurance adjuster is going to approve fourtyone hours of paint labor for a Model 3 repair? Or is that a rubberstamp type of job?

If it is that easy for a shop to get insurance money, why stop at 41 hours? Make it 1000 hours.

This view is arguably more illustrative of the force involved than the front view.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see where the final numbers settle. Sounds like possibly not a final estimate. Also not clear why customer deductible is $0.

If the estimate is correct, presumably the insurance company will total the vehicle.

Last edited:
I'd love to see pictures of the actual damage.

As high as that repair estimate is, those repair costs may very well not total the vehicle. Data point: In Texas, the law says a car doesn't have to be totaled unless the damage is 100% of the value of the car. Each state has its own total loss threshold. Insurance companies have the right to set their own limits, though. Allstate's cutoff in Texas is 80%.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Hit a few of these....
View attachment 445287

Pay This...
View attachment 445288

The damage was an order of magnitude above the initial ins co estimate of around $3k. The car is in the shop now and I doubt if I'll ever see it again for the next few months. 213.5 hours of labor. Isn't that enough to make a new one?

You need to find another body shop unless you want to pay the Tesla Tax. :cool:
I found a number of shops that were well qualified to work on Aluminum/Steel bodies at less than 1/3 the price.

I'd love to see pictures of the actual damage.

As high as that repair estimate is, those repair costs may very well not total the vehicle. Data point: In Texas, the law says a car doesn't have to be totaled unless the damage is 100% of the value of the car. Each state has its own total loss threshold. Insurance companies have the right to set their own limits, though. Allstate's cutoff in Texas is 80%.

It’s that Method 2 that frequently results in a total (and almost certainly would in this case if the car runs and drives). If not allowed by law in NC, then yes I agree that probably no total.

What is the name of the body shop?

I got WONKY numbers from 3 Tesla "certified" body shops who also insisted their final cost would be higher since their "shop rates" were higher than insurance companies would pay, would take WEEKS to repair because of parts shortages, AND Teslas cost were more complicated to repair.

I took it to our local Tesla Service Center that had in IN HOUSE Tesla Body Shop department who completed the repairs in 5 business days at exactly the price they quoted... AND dealt with the insurance company's "supplement" directly. INCREDIBLE difference vs. the "Tesla Certified" auto body shops.

• Helpful
Reactions: bhzmark