Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hit a Metal Object! No F*re But Pissed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the best and smallest cams I've found is the Mobius action cam. Good quality video and very small. No video screen, but if you need to see anything it captured, just plug it, or the mini-sd card, into a computer.

View attachment 42528

I won't post the video, but here's a link to a very thorough (and long) review of it. About $89 on Amazon, less on E-Bay.

Disclaimer: No, I don't work for them or trying to sell anything. I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger on a dash cam myself, and after researching a bunch, this is the one I've settled on.

Question to those who have had the dash cams installed. Can they capture license plate?

One of the best and smallest cams I've found is the Mobius action cam. Good quality video and very small. No video screen, but if you need to see anything it captured, just plug it, or the mini-sd card, into a computer.

View attachment 42528

I won't post the video, but here's a link to a very thorough (and long) review of it. About $89 on Amazon, less on E-Bay.

Disclaimer: No, I don't work for them or trying to sell anything. I'm just getting ready to pull the trigger on a dash cam myself, and after researching a bunch, this is the one I've settled on.

I would like to order one! Has anyone installed one in a Model S? I I wonder where we could find an unused USB plug for power under the dash or ??

edit........

Here is an easy power converter. http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-chargers/usbbuddy-powerpole-12v-usb-5v-device-charger.html?utm_source=googleShopping&utm_medium=googleShopping&utm_campaign=googleShopping&gclid=CKevuP7msLwCFWVxQgodAmMA8Q

Re-edit.......

I also found a right angle Mini USB that would work well. http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Mini-USB-Cable-USB2HABM6RA/dp/B004NO0L4O

Last edited:
Question to those who have had the dash cams installed. Can they capture license plate?

Just go to youtube and search for "car crash compilation". Endless dash cam videos from Russia as just about everyone has a dash cam there due to insurance fraud. Many of them have very, very good picture quality. 720p seems common and with a wide angle lens you can see everything.

And to answer your question: yes, you can easily make out plates.

lloyds: I run a dashcam in the Bay Area. I have some footage daytime and nighttime on 101. My commute is Palo Alto -> San Jose daily on 101. I'll upload to Youtube when I get home tonight. You can tell license plate usually... or at least it would be enough evidence with some image processing you could definitely tell if not the naked eye.

Sorry to hear about your incident today!

This doesn't work. His insurance would deny it unless you have proof. I have tried this before when something fell of a truck in front of me (driving a Murano at the time), and it bounced up, smashed my headlight, dented in my hood, smashed my windshield, then dented my roof. I followed the guy and got his license plate number. I contacted my insurance who said they'd call the other guys insurance but they already knew standard procedure would be that they'd deny it unless you have proof. Sure enough, my insurance called me back and said 'nope, sorry, his insurance denied it ever happened'.

Yes, fortunately, in this case when the other guys insurance deny's it, your insurance still covers it. Thank god in my car, because it was over $8k in damage.

This is why I would love to see all around video cameras that record everything that goes on and it can be saved.

It would be nice for the car to snap an all around picture if something bangs into the car while it's parked too and sends an SMS to your cell phone. I'm thinking of the guy that came out of a store and his trunk was crunched.

Does anyone worry about their dashcam getting stolen? Isn't the video stored locally on flash memory? I do think it's a nice idea to have one just in case, though. To those currently using them, how much video do you usually keep stored (1080p) and how much memory does that require?

This doesn't work. His insurance would deny it unless you have proof. I have tried this before when something fell of a truck in front of me (driving a Murano at the time), and it bounced up, smashed my headlight, dented in my hood, smashed my windshield, then dented my roof. I followed the guy and got his license plate number. I contacted my insurance who said they'd call the other guys insurance but they already knew standard procedure would be that they'd deny it unless you have proof. Sure enough, my insurance called me back and said 'nope, sorry, his insurance denied it ever happened'.

Just because an insurance company tells you something, don't believe it's true. If you had the plate, and his insurer denies liability, you should get your car fixed under your own comprehensive coverage then sue him for (1) your deductible and (2) accelerated depreciation. His insurer will have to defend that action and indemnify him (i.e. pay any settlement or judgement). The test in civil law is "balance of probabilities" which is an easy test to prove - 50.00000001% is good enough - or in other words, "more likely than not" it was caused by his negligence. The test is that of "a reasonably prudent person" and any well maintained vehicle should not shed parts simply by hitting a pothole. So the issue becomes: what is the year of his vehicle and when was it last serviced. If some part came dislodge from underneath it, it was probably rusted out, and no reasonably prudent person would have rusted parts fall off their vehicle by hitting a pothole. If it fell out of the back of his truck, the test is even easier to meet since it was not strapped down correctly. These are very easy cases to win but no one fights them because insurers simply deny and people walk away.

Too bad you didn't get his plate, or have a dashcam record it, because your biggest loss is not the damage itself (or your deductible for that damage) but it's a head of damages that most people don't even know they can claim for, called "accelerated depreciation" which is known as one of the largest hidden secrets in the car insurance industry:

How do I get full value for my crashed car? - The Globe and Mail

If you had the plate, and his insurer denies liability, you should get your car fixed under your own comprehensive coverage then sue him

Can't do that, AFAIK. If you collect money from your insurance company the only one that could sue the other driver would be your ins co. You already collected from your ins so you "have been made whole" and have no standing. Your ins co is the one that's out the money. Your deductible and other costs don't matter to the insurance world.

At least that's what I remember from some screwed up case a few years ago. The take away was that by signing the ins policy with your ins co, you lose your right to sue the other driver or their ins co.

Would love to be proven wrong. You have any cites, court cases?

How do you mount it to the mirror?

I don't have a Model S, but on my car I was just going to fabricate a small bracket to attach to the back of the rear view mirror that would have a short platfom at the proper angle to point straight ahead, then mount the camera to that, and run the power cord up to the headliner just above the mirror. It shouldn't be more than a couple of inches long.

Can't do that, AFAIK. If you collect money from your insurance company the only one that could sue the other driver would be your ins co. You already collected from your ins so you "have been made whole" and have no standing. Your ins co is the one that's out the money. Your deductible and other costs don't matter to the insurance world.

At least that's what I remember from some screwed up case a few years ago. The take away was that by signing the ins policy with your ins co, you lose your right to sue the other driver or their ins co.

Would love to be proven wrong. You have any cites, court cases?

No cases needed. I have practiced insurance law for more than 20 years. Under the common-law, the defendant must put the plaintiff back into the position as if the damage had not occurred. That is why I said he could only sue for the deductible and accelerated depreciation- any more would be double recovery. Now, the common-law can be varied by legislation. In BC, our Insurance Act reads:

Subrogation
36 (1) The insurer, on making a payment or assuming liability under a contract, is subrogated to all rights of recovery of the insured against any person, and may bring an action in the name of the insured to enforce those rights.

(2) If the net amount recovered after deducting the costs of recovery is not sufficient to provide a complete indemnity for the loss or damage suffered, that amount must be divided between the insurer and the insured in the proportions in which the loss or damage has been borne by them respectively.

This does not preclude an insured from pursuing damages on their own behalf. It gives the insurer a right of subrogation but it requires the insurer to claim uninsured/underinsured losses and pro-rate the recovery -- if they don't do that then the insured can sue. If they do that, there's no issue. There is no reciprocal provision on the part of an insured but there are common-law obligations that I won't get into here.

If you were told what you say above, I would say "wrong, I have not been made whole - that's the whole point!" I would also want to see the legislation or policy provisions. It makes no sense to me and is against one of the most fundamental principles of tort law, as well as being against public policy (i.e. not to allow tortfeasors to be absolved of liability for damages).

Last edited:
Wow, Canuk I should hire you. Too bad you don't live in the US... See I am just now finding out about this crap with my Civic. In my case at least, I am only out by about 3k, as opposed to the likely 20k you are going to take a hit on for the Tesla.

I am just going to see if I can private sale the car and hopefully get a bit more cash out of it, because dealerships and such are only going to give me about 2,500 for my 2008 civic which has been repaired fully back to 100% and only has 52k miles on it... So a car that would otherwise easily go for 6k (trade in), they are trying to shortchange me down to 2,500... such crap...

Does anyone worry about their dashcam getting stolen? Isn't the video stored locally on flash memory? I do think it's a nice idea to have one just in case, though. To those currently using them, how much video do you usually keep stored (1080p) and how much memory does that require?

Once the lens surround (chrome) is painted black, it pretty much disappears to those outside the car as I have it mounted high up by the rearview mirror.

IF the camera were stolen, it's $50. No biggie other than hassle to replace the much more expensive window that was broken to get to it.

I run a microSD card in the camera and it records 10 minute segments, about 1 GB each at 1080p-- so a 16 GB card = 160 minutes. The camera automatically loops, overwriting older files with new ones, but has the last 160 minutes on it at all times.

Once the lens surround (chrome) is painted black, it pretty much disappears to those outside the car as I have it mounted high up by the rearview mirror.

IF the camera were stolen, it's $50. No biggie other than hassle to replace the much more expensive window that was broken to get to it.

I run a microSD card in the camera and it records 10 minute segments, about 1 GB each at 1080p-- so a 16 GB card = 160 minutes. The camera automatically loops, overwriting older files with new ones, but has the last 160 minutes on it at all times.

Thanks, I really appreciate the info. I'm also mostly concerned about the broken glass costs more than the camera replacement. That's the real hassle and some people will steal anything...

How long did you have the DR400 before it went out on you?

Maybe four months. The image got really fuzzy, and I think it was the summer heat that really accelerated the problem. I ended up fixing it myself by taking it apart and cleaning the inside of the lens. (Someone posted a video on how to do this, somewhere around here.) But I'm still ticked at Pittasoft, because they completely ignored the three messages I sent them through their web form, and they provided no other means to contact them. I've concluded that they simply do not stand behind their product.