Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hitch receiver won't lock in place

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else with the tow package had a problem getting their hitch receiver to lock into place? Mine will ALMOST lock in, the white dot is barely in the green area, but the locking cylinder doesn't completely retract and the key can't be turned to the lock position. It looks like it's all the way in. It doesn't seem to be hanging up on anything. ???

Has anyone else with the tow package had a problem getting their hitch receiver to lock into place? Mine will ALMOST lock in, the white dot is barely in the green area, but the locking cylinder doesn't completely retract and the key can't be turned to the lock position. It looks like it's all the way in. It doesn't seem to be hanging up on anything. ???
Try turning your car upside down. This will allow you to get better leverage on the hitch.
Seriously though, i did see a post a while back about a hitch that was really stiff. Maybe there's a spring loaded ball bearing that needed some working on to get it to click in easily.

• Funny
Reactions: xkwizit
My symptom was that the receiver was not locking fully into place. According to the manual when you insert the receiver the lock cylinder will retract and rotate into the locked position, at which time you can turn the key to the locked position and remove the key. Mine would START to retract and rotate but wouldn't fully rotate into the locked position
Here's the fix (if you can call it that, not really sure anything is broken): After inserting the hitch receiver and having it partially retract and lock, if you then rotate the lock cylinder in the UNLOCK direction and release it, it will fully retract and lock. I kept trying to twist it in the LOCK direction. It didn't occur to me to move it in the unlock direction. It's not terribly intuitive and it's not mentioned in the directions but I still feel like an idiot for having a Tesla Ranger come out for this.
Here's a video showing how it should work -

This did it for me: Insert the hitch in position, keep it in position despite it not being locked in; with the other hand use a parrot wrench and open and close the lock with swift and slightly strong rotations. The hitch suddenly locks and the key becomes removable.

This did it for me: Insert the hitch in position, keep it in position despite it not being locked in; with the other hand use a parrot wrench and open and close the lock with swift and slightly strong rotations. The hitch suddenly locks and the key becomes removable.