Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hmm Interesting Service Situation…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my MYP on 8/20 and it didn’t have too many issues with it. The reason I mainly bought it in was due to the trunk being misaligned and there was a small door chip on the driver side door. They told me that they would need it for a week to repairing the door and do the alignment, as well as install my homelink module, so I was cool with that.

luckily I live near the actually bodyshop and was able to drive by only to see that my front bumper and front drivers head light was taken off too! This came as a shock as none of the repairs involved the bumper and headlights. Also I don’t think they saw something there to fix without telling me. I know that the homelink module has to be installed but from my knowledge, it’s all done through the frunk. Yet then taking off the bumper for the homelink install would be the only reason why I would think they took off the bumper and lights, right?

any thoughts?

I hope they didn’t get into a small accident and now are trying to cover it up.

ugh. Living on the west side sucks. Everything so Busy/crowded and places are always packed. I’m hoping someone didn’t hit my car.

Attachments

• CA50A4CC-3931-4433-9A08-AE56DAFB7C88.jpeg
    CA50A4CC-3931-4433-9A08-AE56DAFB7C88.jpeg
    559 KB · Views: 865
If they are repairing the door they may have to paint the fender and door blend it to match. Taking the bumper off would allow them to paint the whole fender and paint the area that sits just above the corner of the bumper
Hopefully that’s it but we will see what service says.
Is funny because I brought this up to them saying that it was a small chip so just give me a touch up paint kit or some service credit and I’ll be done with it, but they insisted on painting it and told me it would just be painting of the door and nothing else. I said I didn’t really want it to be too invasive as it was a brand new car. They said don’t worry it won’t be invasive at all.
I’ll keep the spread open and let people know what services when I get a reply back

Trunk! The front was perfect as I installed ppf on the headlights the night before and it was fine. I hope they don’t ruin my headlight ppf
Yeah then the only explanation I can think of is what ThomasD suggested which is that they blended it into the fender. I was thinking if it was the frunk that was off maybe they were adjusting the fit of one of the fenders but that’s not the case I guess.

Yeah then the only explanation I can think of is what ThomasD suggested which is that they blended it into the fender. I was thinking if it was the frunk that was off maybe they were adjusting the fit of one of the fenders but that’s not the case I guess.
Odd thing was that the drivers fender was still on there but not the front bumper or headlight. Plus they didn’t paint the door yet. There just was a orange circle on where the chip was. I shouldve taken a picture.

Homelink on the Model Y definitely does not require the front bumper to come off. I watched the mobile tech install mine (through the security camera) and he literally had it installed in less than 10 minutes.... most of that time was removing frunk liner and putting it back in. On the Model 3, the mobile tech had to loosen up my front bumper to make room for him to reach behind it in order to install the Homelink unit, but on the Model Y bumpers there's a lot more room for the tech to reach in there without needing to remove anything.

Also when my driver side door was slightly mis-aligned (took some more force to close it than the other doors, the mobile tech immediately saw what the problem was and adjusted the striker on the jam and that immediately fixed the problem. That was it. The entire mobile service visit to the Homelink install and the door alignment took less than 15 minutes.

I didn't need to have my rear hatch aligned, but I did on my Model 3 and I did that myself by using my head & shoulder to hold the hatch while I loosened & tightened up the support brackets.... it would be way easier if you have a second person helping you to hold the hatch while you do the adjusting. Just loosen up the bracket bolts and adjusted the hatch position accordingly and lightly tighten the bolts and close the hatch and see how it aligns. If the bolts are snug, you should be able to push & move the hatch around into position, and it should hold in that position for you to tighten the bracket. Not a difficult thing to do if you're mechanically inclined, but also shouldn't be difficult for a Tesla tech to do.

No good reason for your bumper & headlights to be out unless A) they need to repaint both of your fenders, or B) there's some electrical or mechanical issues with the headlights or harness that they found and it needs replacing.

That is really whacked. Trunk service yet they dismantle the bumper and take your headlight. Unless the tech made a complete blunder I see no reason to do that. And if the need to fix the paint on a door edge, I see no reason to be paint matching the front bumper or fender, it's on a door edge. OP, that's a case for use of clear door edge guard.

Ok update:

So I spoke with the service tech and they said that it was intentional because the service advisor wanted to go, above and beyond, my expectations and fix panel gaps where they initially told me was fine and within spec.

When I initially went to the service center, I told them about a misaligned gap in the fender. He then proceeded to call the technician out and they took out a small measuring tool and basically told me that there is nothing to be done as it was within spec and both sides looked that way. I told them I'm ok with that. Later that day he called to confirm the 3 items that were to be addressed: my homelink install, trunk alignment and chip on the door. Never did he mention that he was going to push to have the other items aligned.

This is odd, but at this point, I just want my car back so I will remain quiet.

Reactions: Ken_Y