Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hold I buy Used 2016 Model S 90d (private seller)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. Long time creeper, first time poster. We are selling our house and I’m planning on biting the bullet and getting a Tesla. We test drove a Model Y and LOVED the feel of driving an EV. I’ve had my eye on getting a Model S mostly because I’m used to bigger cars (Had a VW CC and currently Ford Fusion Energi) but have nothing against the Y. For close to the same price as a Y, I’ve found a private seller selling a 2016 Model S 90d with ~39k miles, all the features, free unlimited charging and data, gets 280 @ 100%, for about $59.6k. Would you folks go for that or not chance it and get something new? I know the car has 4g, but does that mean it has MCU2? If not, is MCU1 horrible? I know the regular warranty is gone due to age, but it would still have battery warranty until 2024 unless I’m mistaken.

Ask him for a screen shot of the Software Tab and the two blue hyperlinks. It will confirm if it has MCU/2 or MCU/1. Next if it has MCU/2, have him send you a screen shot showing that it has FM radio as that was an extra $500 when you did the Infotainment Ugrade Package upgrade. Also confirm if he has Enhanced Autopilot to FSD which you can verify from those screen shots.

Note: All 2016 Model S/X all came with 4G/LTE modems in them.

Upvote 0
2016 is by far the most complicated model year for the S.

Is the car pre-or post refresh (old style nose or new)?

If post-refresh, is it autopilot 1 or autopilot 2?

These are major changes and differentiators that will affect the price and value. Ask for the build month, which is on the door plate sticker. That will help positively identify the config of the car.

All 2016 cars had MCU1. You can upgrade it for $1500-2000 (and will probably want to).

Upvote 0
2016 is by far the most complicated model year for the S.

Is the car pre-or post refresh (old style nose or new)?

If post-refresh, is it autopilot 1 or autopilot 2?

These are major changes and differentiators that will affect the price and value. Ask for the build month, which is on the door plate sticker. That will help positively identify the config of the car.

All 2016 cars had MCU1. You can upgrade it for $1500-2000 (and will probably want to).
Looks like old nose, so pre-refresh. The ad just says autopilot so I assume 1, but I will ask about build month.

Upvote 0
Ask him for a screen shot of the Software Tab and the two blue hyperlinks. It will confirm if it has MCU/2 or MCU/1. Next if it has MCU/2, have him send you a screen shot showing that it has FM radio as that was an extra $500 when you did the Infotainment Ugrade Package upgrade. Also confirm if he has Enhanced Autopilot to FSD which you can verify from those screen shots.

Note: All 2016 Model S/X all came with 4G/LTE modems in them.
Awesome, thanks for that. Will ask. Also, if I need and get the MCU2 upgrade, that won’t affect my unlimited data/supercharging will it? Since I’d be buying private?

Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks for that. Will ask. Also, if I need and get the MCU2 upgrade, that won’t affect my unlimited data/supercharging will it? Since I’d be buying private?

It should not. Once you own the vehicle and it's in your name and you can see it in the Tesla App, then book the appointment within the app.

On mu 2016 Model X and 2017 Model S, I had the Infotainment Ugrade Package installed (without the $500 radio), and it did not effect my Unlimited Supercharging, or lifetime of internet access...

Details of the Infotainment Ugrade Package can be found here: Infotainment Upgrade

Upvote 0
Looks like old nose, so pre-refresh. The ad just says autopilot so I assume 1, but I will ask about build month.
Pre-refresh cars are all autopilot 1 so that answers that.

As for the price… I dunno. I know the car market is super weird right now but $60k seems awful high to me for that car. If it was a refresh with an upgraded MCU and full self driving, that might be a different story.

For $60k, I’d personally buy a new 3/Y vs. a now 2-generations-old Model S.

Upvote 0
Pre-refresh cars are all autopilot 1 so that answers that.

As for the price… I dunno. I know the car market is super weird right now but $60k seems awful high to me for that car. If it was a refresh with an upgraded MCU and full self driving, that might be a different story.

For $60k, I’d personally buy a new 3/Y vs. a now 2-generations-old Model S.
Thanks! ill keep that in mind and knock this one out of contention. Appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
MCU2 is a must. Trust me. So factor that in.
Also, the 90D's had 3 versions of battery packs. The early versions seemed to have had issues. Ideally you'd be looking for one with a V3 pack

All of that said, S has better ride quality than the Y. But the Y will have all of the latest/newest hardware/tech available and of course the full new warranty and if you are financing, better rates. So lots of factors to decide on..

Upvote 0