Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Hold" mode regeneration in new SW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love the updated hold mode to a stop for 1 pedal operation but I'm getting a clicking noise when the car comes to a complete stop and on 'hold'. Seemed to have started yesterday after updates, and the same noise isn't present if I flip to the 'roll' mode. Can't tell if it the brakes are engaging / sticking causing the 'clicking' sound. Any else having this experience or thoughts?

Its the brakes engaging for real. You could also have heard it in 'roll' mode, when you applied the brakes to get to 'hold'

This is by far my favorite SW update so far since the beginning of my ownership 7 months ago.
It enables one pedal driving 99% of the time.
Also, when reversing out of my garage or reversing out of a parking spot, I don't use the brake pedal. After the car slows down to about 1 or 2 mph, I just flip the gear from R to D and go.

Try it going down a moderate sloped snow/ice covered road. Kind of interesting as you get to 2 mph and lower. Car intermittently I assume brakes then releases. Repeats again and again til stop and hold.... Not what I would want in a fully iced road, but who likes those anyway.

My usage was driving down a hill to turn into driveway. All snow covered and icy.

Since some seem to be a bit confused about hold the owner's manual explanation is worth reading:

HOLD: Maximizes range and reduces brake wear by continuing to provide regenerative braking at speeds lower than with the Creep and Roll settings. When Model 3 stops, the brakes are automatically applied without you having to put your foot on the brake pedal. Whether stopped on a flat surface or a hill, Vehicle Hold keeps the brake applied, provided your foot remains off the accelerator and brake pedals.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Love the updated hold mode to a stop for 1 pedal operation but I'm getting a clicking noise when the car comes to a complete stop and on 'hold'. Seemed to have started yesterday after updates, and the same noise isn't present if I flip to the 'roll' mode. Can't tell if it the brakes are engaging / sticking causing the 'clicking' sound. Any else having this experience or thoughts?

I have the same noise. It also happens when the computer engages the brakes under about 10 mph. Really annoying in stop and go traffic while on autopilot. I'm going to contact my service center about it and see what they say.

I like it a lot and have been waiting for it. Test drove the Bolt when it first came out and it had it. Was surprised Tesla didn't. The accelerator is sensitive enough to maintain any low speed. I admit it took a little getting used to but it's a short learning curve. Drove to work this morning and never touched the brake. luv it!

Reactions: pilotSteve
According to the owner's manual the brakes aren't engaged until the car stops when using hold. So maybe that noise is related to regen?

That's right... and in hold mode with AP off that's the only time it happens.

Where it gets more pronounced is in sub 5 mph stop and go when AP is on... when the brakes are being applied and released by AP.

I think people are noticing it more now that hold has been rolled out widely. Since it's the same noise. I think Tesla is going to start hearing about it more from owners.

I took a video of it last night. Will try to post soon.

You don't notice a different with hold? Are you certain you have it engaged? Because it's completely different so I'm not sure how you wouldn't notice the difference.

I did today when coming to a stop and backing out of the garage. My regular driving not so much. I guess b/c I'm a one pedal driver to begin with or it's not so noticeable on a SR

So... Friday night Stacy's Mom got the new SW that adds 'hold' mode regeneration, which the release notes suggest is really regenerating all the way to 0 and then engaging brakes.

I'm having a little trouble getting used to it, but its only been a couple days. I'm more than a little suspicious that its not really doing any regeneration below 3-5mph, and instead its just gently applying the brakes. I'd assume the motors just aren't spinning fast enough to regenerate any significant power.

Even if its auto-applying the brakes, I guess its better to be one-footing the drive, at least for now. I'll give it some more time. I wonder if I'll end up turning it off for snowy times, because I'd rather have me directly controlling how much braking is going on, rather than letting the computer do it.

Any opinions?

It made me crazy too. I had to go back to creep. I didn't like not being in full control of the slow down, and it was impossible for me to "creep" into my garage without banging up the front wall (I have little room for error).

So... Friday night Stacy's Mom got the new SW that adds 'hold' mode regeneration, which the release notes suggest is really regenerating all the way to 0 and then engaging brakes.

I'm having a little trouble getting used to it, but its only been a couple days. I'm more than a little suspicious that its not really doing any regeneration below 3-5mph, and instead its just gently applying the brakes. I'd assume the motors just aren't spinning fast enough to regenerate any significant power.

Even if its auto-applying the brakes, I guess its better to be one-footing the drive, at least for now. I'll give it some more time. I wonder if I'll end up turning it off for snowy times, because I'd rather have me directly controlling how much braking is going on, rather than letting the computer do it.

Any opinions?

Your observations are correct. Regeneration doesn't seem to be improved much - perhaps it regens down to 5 MPH instead of 8 MPH like it does in roll mode, but it's definitely just blending in the brakes below that. I seem to prefer roll mode.

I’ve been using hold mode for a few days now and I like it so far. I never liked roll mode because it requires foot dance when parking, especially on the incline, but hold mode works well. Creep is still easier for parking and backing up, but hold is OK too. You have to be very careful coming from creep so you don’t push accelerator when you need to stop, but I got used to it now.

I like being able to use just one pedal in most cases and I like auto hold.

Another interesting observation is that I can switch between my gas car and Tesla more easily. Hard to explain, but it’s different enough to toggle a different mental profile so it becomes natural to use one pedal driving when in Tesla and not expect regen braking in my gas car. When I had creep mode on it kinda messed up my reflexes.

Now it’s like when switching from manual to automatic, or as more extreme example, steering an airplane on the ground. Just totally different mental profile.

Reactions: pilotSteve