Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday travel availability / congestion at CA Superchargers; possible solutions, complaints, comments, discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some months ago got this report for an 8 stall Supercharger, with one out of order, so 7 operational stalls. Eight cars waiting showed as a "Medium Wait" and 14 cars waiting showed as a "Long Wait". It would be interesting to know exactly what criteria Tesla uses when displaying wait times.
I guess my question would be how does the SC know? Is Tesla looking at location data for Tesla’s near a supercharger and making an assessment?

Reactions: Jeepxj
first of all thank you for the updates, but somenthing I don't understand is how tejon outlets has such a wait, the addition of copus rd was able to handle the traffic of 4th july pretty good, now we've added 28 more v3 stalls with tejon outlets and there is a wait?
Tesla is selling nearly 25,000 cars per quarter in California.

Thanksgiving is a much more significant travel holiday than July 4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave EV
As an aside, I did I-5 from the Seattle area to Grants Pass Oregon this afternoon. While a few SCs showed full, the Tesla nav routed me around them to ones that had free stalls. Charged in Vancouver WA (the one north of the mall, the mall SC was full or 1 free), Salem, Myrtle Creek, and Grants Pass. Myrtle Creek is a new one. It was full much of the day. But when I arrived there were lots of free spots. The car really didn’t need to stop there - but I needed a pit stop.

Moderator note: Moved 17 posts on EV charging in California to this new thread:

It's a good conversation, just not on-topic for this thread.

Bruce.

Reactions: mociaf9 and Jeepxj
I noticed that Tesla removed this opportunity for the Superchargers along SR99, as they were part of their Thanksgiving largesse. Oh well.....
The 101, too.

I imagine that they looked at where the rollout was successful over Thanksgiving as well as other areas that could possibly be helped in other parts of the country, and used that to design the map for X-mas. So, as regards SR-99 and US-101, either it turned out that it wasn't needed because traffic levels weren't that high along those routes or the program wasn't successful for getting drivers along them to adjust their travel times to off peak hours so it wasn't worth repeating. Though I kind of doubt the latter possibility would get them to end coverage as even minor help can be valuable.

Last edited:
Also, 99 has a bunch of free charging at rest areas. I'll be taking advantage of it anyway, I guess not everyone has a CHAdeMO adapter. Then I'll be cutting over to try out two new free rest area chargers on 5 as I get closer to home. Probably won't be the ONLY one trying to take advantage of them, like I ran into people charging both north and south in Maxwell even though I left the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving.

I wouldn't need to use CHAdeMO if I was staying in Vegas, just come back later that weekend, but I am only going that route as I wanna check out the free charging out to Mesquite and by the time I come back the off peak time will have passed.

Kettleman City SUCKED, anyone know how to tell if an S or X can use 250kW? I know the new ones without chrome (like the Plaid) can use it, but there were a bunch of X's taking the few 250kW slots (where you can relax in the café) instead of using the 150kW, but I don't remember if the Raven models could use the extra power of if they were just taking one of those precious spots because no one told them not to.

I ended up going across the street to KC2 but there isn't a toilet, that's gotta happen

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA and bmah
Kettleman City SUCKED, anyone know how to tell if an S or X can use 250kW? I know the new ones without chrome (like the Plaid) can use it, but there were a bunch of X's taking the few 250kW slots (where you can relax in the café) instead of using the 150kW, but I don't remember if the Raven models could use the extra power of if they were just taking one of those precious spots because no one told them not to.

I ended up going across the street to KC2 but there isn't a toilet, that's gotta happen
Raven can take 200 for about 60 secs and tapers down to 100KW very quickly

Kettleman City SUCKED, anyone know how to tell if an S or X can use 250kW? I know the new ones without chrome (like the Plaid) can use it, but there were a bunch of X's taking the few 250kW slots (where you can relax in the café) instead of using the 150kW
I have zero shame taking a 250kw stall at KC even though my car can’t take the full power. If one is available I’ll do it every time.

ESPECIALLY when it’s busy. V3 is a guaranteed 120+ kw, a shared v2 is ~70kw max. That’s a huge difference.

Reactions: P85_DA

When were you there?

Bruce.