Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday update? what can we expect?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Minor gripe about new "decoupled" Auto seat heater function.

For those of us that use HVAC only in manual mode, now we have to cycle through the Auto setting before we can get to 3 bacons.

And the Auto functionality is dumb. I keep the cabin cooler, 66, when it's cold out, and heat myself with the seat heater.

If the seat heater is off (it usually is, because who knows why, persistence of last setting is broken), I touch the seat heater icon, it goes to Auto, but does not heat. If I push the seat heater icon when it's off, 100% of the time, I want it on high. Now I have to keep looking, and punch it again. It's just dumb.

Before, if climate was in manual setting, Auot seat heaters was disabled, which was OK.

Making seat heaters a pop up like wipers or headlights would solve this for everyone, Auto and manual climate users. Push, slide up through the setting you want, done. One touch every time.

I'm really over having the UI change 3-4 times a year. Last Tesla. Probably keep it as a souvenir of the company that changed the world, but as soon as it's out of warranty I'm tearing out the controls, air gapping it, and hacking my own. It will be my beater around town car, and by then there will be enough good enough charging networks I'll make do with something else. This is garbage.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Even my BMW from 2007 changed when the software was updated. Kind of how the world is going these days.
Something like this one? I doubt they moved your HVAC controls around and changed how they work.

But yeah, I'm not happy with any UI changes on products I already own. Let me opt in when I'm ready, I have time to learn the new system, and the end result is actually better than before.

Attachments

• 4DE730BD-1814-4190-B222-A3A8F3AA065D.jpeg
    4DE730BD-1814-4190-B222-A3A8F3AA065D.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 68
Something like this one? I doubt they moved your HVAC controls around and changed how they work.

But yeah, I'm not happy with any UI changes on products I already own. Let me opt in when I'm ready, I have time to learn the new system, and the end result is actually better than before.
I must be one of the very few in the world that set my climate control temperature and leave everything on auto. I dont see the need to have a dashboard full of physical buttons. The car does great at auto climate.

I do not like auto seat heaters. I usually leave mine on high or medium for the entire drive and auto doesnt get close to what I like.

I must be one of the very few in the world that set my climate control temperature and leave everything on auto. I dont see the need to have a dashboard full of physical buttons. The car does great at auto climate.
I wish I could say the same. Traditionally, I have always left my climate controls on auto in other cars and just set the temperature as needed, but the climate control in my Model Y is disappointing. The temperature frequently seems too hot or too cold and tends to be blowing in the wrong place, such as hot air in my face rather than feet. It seems to me the car just ignores the temperature sensors in the cabin. I demonstrated this to Tesla service but they said it is all software and cannot be fixed by replacing any parts. I am so jealous you got a sample with good climate control.

I do not like auto seat heaters. I usually leave mine on high or medium for the entire drive and auto doesnt get close to what I like.
I’m with you. Set it and forget it.

My wife? Not so much. Always has to be fiddling with the controls. Never in auto. Drives me nuts.

I’m with you. Set it and forget it.

My wife? Not so much. Always has to be fiddling with the controls. Never in auto. Drives me nuts.
My question for people that are constantly fiddling with the controls up down up down on off on off when in their cars:

Is that what you do at your home? Turn the AC to 60 degrees, run it full blast, wait till you freeze, then turn it off? Or do you just set it to 70 and be comfortable?

Ive been in cars like this, and its insanely annoying to me. Heater on full blast, defog the windows.... Too hot, turn it all off. Wait until we get cold and the windows get fogged up, turn it on full blast defog the windows. Its a insane circle that just doesnt need to happen.

My question for people that are constantly fiddling with the controls up down up down on off on off when in their cars:

Is that what you do at your home? Turn the AC to 60 degrees, run it full blast, wait till you freeze, then turn it off? Or do you just set it to 70 and be comfortable?

Ive been in cars like this, and its insanely annoying to me. Heater on full blast, defog the windows.... Too hot, turn it all off. Wait until we get cold and the windows get fogged up, turn it on full blast defog the windows. Its a insane circle that just doesnt need to happen.
No. I set the Tesla to 66, leave the vents on defrost and face, fan at 5. I bump the fan one or 2 each way if it starts to fog up the window, or is too much at some point.

I leave the seat heaters on 3 or 2. I'll fuss with it all maybe 1x per 2 hours driving.

At home the programmable thermostat has been set for 8 years, never touch it.

Auto climate adjusts itself 10x more than I do on manual, and annoys the hell out of me with its hi fan speeds for no reason.

Reactions: DrGriz and Park2670

Some people are physiologically much better at regulating their own temperature, lots of variables there. Also things like low-level motion sickness can need to be addressed in real-time with climate adjustments. I am also an auto all the time person (but not for seat heaters), but my wife is not. The number of people on here who don't understand that both are valid choices/needs is disappointing....

Some people are physiologically much better at regulating their own temperature, lots of variables there. Also things like low-level motion sickness can need to be addressed in real-time with climate adjustments. I am also an auto all the time person (but not for seat heaters), but my wife is not. The number of people on here who don't understand that both are valid choices/needs is disappointing....
I get your point. I think for some people (including my wife) they are extremely impatient and need the comfort *right now*. And then end up overshooting and playing that whole game. My wife gets in her freezing cold Rav4 and blasts the "heat" at max level even though it's only cold air coming out. I tell her to just put it on Auto and set the temp and it will gradually blow harder as the air temp increases (which it does very well). But she prefers it blowing freezing cold air at her which just makes her colder. Drives me bonkers.

I get your point. I think for some people (including my wife) they are extremely impatient and need the comfort *right now*. And then end up overshooting and playing that whole game. My wife gets in her freezing cold Rav4 and blasts the "heat" at max level even though it's only cold air coming out. I tell her to just put it on Auto and set the temp and it will gradually blow harder as the air temp increases (which it does very well). But she prefers it blowing freezing cold air at her which just makes her colder. Drives me bonkers.
This is also my wife, described in such precision detail that as far as I’m concerned you can keep her 😊

Please allow some room in your opinion for those of us with cars that just plain don't work when it comes to regulating the temperature.

I personally have always used Auto for climate control in every car I've owned that had it and have always been happy with the results. In my Model Y, I am not. This is not due to my being too picky or constantly fiddling as you say, but due to the fact that the car cannot regulate the temperature effectively. I have measured more than a 10 degree difference at times between the set temperature and the measured temperature. I have experienced the car blowing warm, *heated* air in my face (over 80 degrees) on hot days when the car should be cooling. Likewise, I have experienced cold air blowing in my face on cold days when the car should be warming. I photographed and videoed this happening with multiple thermometers in my car and showed it to Tesla but they said there is nothing that can be done to make it better. I still suspect there may be a defective sensor or valve somewhere, but they say there are no error codes reported so it must be ok. Some others seem to have similar problems, yet many more seem to be perfectly content with the climate control performance. It's hard to believe that this apparent dichotomy could be due to just pickiness. I am wondering if perhaps there are some cars that are defective. My wife, children, and friends have also experienced this in my car. Tesla would experience it too if they were interested enough to give it a try, but it is difficult to reproduce because it happens irregularly. We never know when it will act up, and there are long periods where it works fine in between.

At any rate, I am so happy with my car otherwise that I decided to just live with this issue, (well, that and the auto wipers). It really is a great car in almost every other regard. I can forgive the car for having sucky climate control, but I take issue with the suggestion that the problem is the owner.

Please allow some room in your opinion for those of us with cars that just plain don't work when it comes to regulating the temperature.

I personally have always used Auto for climate control in every car I've owned that had it and have always been happy with the results. In my Model Y, I am not. This is not due to my being too picky or constantly fiddling as you say, but due to the fact that the car cannot regulate the temperature effectively. I have measured more than a 10 degree difference at times between the set temperature and the measured temperature. I have experienced the car blowing warm, *heated* air in my face (over 80 degrees) on hot days when the car should be cooling. Likewise, I have experienced cold air blowing in my face on cold days when the car should be warming. I photographed and videoed this happening with multiple thermometers in my car and showed it to Tesla but they said there is nothing that can be done to make it better. I still suspect there may be a defective sensor or valve somewhere, but they say there are no error codes reported so it must be ok. Some others seem to have similar problems, yet many more seem to be perfectly content with the climate control performance. It's hard to believe that this apparent dichotomy could be due to just pickiness. I am wondering if perhaps there are some cars that are defective. My wife, children, and friends have also experienced this in my car. Tesla would experience it too if they were interested enough to give it a try, but it is difficult to reproduce because it happens irregularly. We never know when it will act up, and there are long periods where it works fine in between.

At any rate, I am so happy with my car otherwise that I decided to just live with this issue, (well, that and the auto wipers). It really is a great car in almost every other regard. I can forgive the car for having sucky climate control, but I take issue with the suggestion that the problem is the owner.
Absolutely sounds defective. Our Model 3 (granted on older software now) regulates the temperature very well. Have you tried watching the cabin temperature reading in the app when you activate the climate control to at least see what that sensor thinks the temp is? And yeah, it is totally possible for the temp sensors to not be throwing any codes while still be returning junk data.

Last year when I still had hope I could convince tesla it wasn’t working right I did use the app to monitor temps and took lots of pictures trying to capture some evidence. Here’s one I happen to have on my phone now. See anything wrong here? This was in the summer and it was way too cold in the car so I kept turning up the set temperature to try to get less AC. This was taken back when the outlet air was color coded blue for cooling and red for heating.

The actual temp in the car was probably around 69. But even though the car thinks it’s 78 and the set point is 81, the car is still calling fire more cold air (blue).
Duh!

0ED03C3C-7120-449F-8074-85FE2EAC6184.png

Last year when I still had hope I could convince tesla it wasn’t working right I did use the app to monitor temps and took lots of pictures trying to capture some evidence. Here’s one I happen to have on my phone now. See anything wrong here? This was in the summer and it was way too cold in the car so I kept turning up the set temperature to try to get less AC. This was taken back when the outlet air was color coded blue for cooling and red for heating.

The actual temp in the car was probably around 69. But even though the car thinks it’s 78 and the set point is 81, the car is still calling fire more cold air (blue).
Duh!

View attachment 898270
Yeah, that does not seem right. Absolutely not what my car does. Have you tried a different service center? If they really refuse to fix it, can you lemon law it in your state?

Reactions: Transformer