Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holiday Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still getting used to the UI, but I have to mention that, all the complaints not withstanding, we are finally STARTING to get the ability to customize the screen. A teeny tiny baby step, and like all babies, there will be a few tears shed along the way. Just wish I could put diapers on the car to cushion the blows that will inevitably occur.

I like the blind spot camera, but they are a bit superfluous and can be distracting. In the past, if you put your blinker on and the adjoining lane was not clear, the dotted lane markers turned red. Real easy to see. Now the camera image comes up (the lane markers still turn red if the lane is obstructed) and you have to mentally digest the image, this takes your eyes off the road for longer than necessary. I'm turning this function off.
I agree re: the customization, I imagine there will be more. Not sure what you mean about 'mentally digest' the image - if there's a car, don't go....

Reactions: Tezlowski
I agree re: the customization, I imagine there will be more. Not sure what you mean about 'mentally digest' the image - if there's a car, don't go....
means mentally process. Takes time, sometimes an ambiguous image cannot be parsed by the brain immediately.

when you say "if there's a car" your brain has already successfully determined the moving image has a car in it. Most of the time, it is easy. Edge cases, you might only make out a weird shape in the glare, as an example, and have to study the image or check your shoulder again.

This can take a few ticks, and be confusing.

To dismiss this possibility means you are not really grasping the potential problem.

"means mentally process" - Correct.

The red lane markings are unambiguous - SOMETHING IS THERE, DON'T MOVE OVER. Don't have to process too much. It really doesn't matter if it's a car or a rhinoceros.

You could always look in the mirror if you want old school, but the car's sensors seem to be superior to the mirror - that's the whole point of the blending of computers, sensors and automobiles. I remember (and this is dating me) when they introduced side mirrors on the passenger door. I thought I could never get used to that. Now, despite all the new-fangled technology in my MY, I find myself double checking the car by glancing over to the mirror. That too will fade.

What I find most helpful is I have the option to turn off the camera display. Seems like that's an option that should be liberally applied to many of the car's display options.

And BTW, if there's a rhinoceros in your side view mirror, you've got other problems to worry about.

I understood what was being said, just don't think it's a big issue for me - car, no go; no car, go. And anyway I've already looked over my shoulder and in the mirrors so.....

And I'm no rocket scientist. Just been driving since 1974. All of these aids are really just additional info for me as I haven't really changed the way I drive in all this time.

Reactions: Tezlowski
I understood what was being said, just don't think it's a big issue for me - car, no go; no car, go. And anyway I've already looked over my shoulder and in the mirrors so.....

And I'm no rocket scientist. Just been driving since 1974. All of these aids are really just additional info for me as I haven't really changed the way I drive in all this time.
Cool. Now take off the mirror and use the camera image. That's the goal.