Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy crap, repairs are insanely expensive, beware!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if tesla keep this up the company will be dead within 5 years nobody will buy a $100.000 car which you can not buy spares for plain stupid..
and as far as build quality goes they are still rubbish no better than a cheap korean car..
Yeah, this should not break given the circumstances - assumes no prior impact of course and that this was not an individual component failure. But comparing an MS with a Korean car suggests you have not even driven an MS let alone own one.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Agree with you except the statement that the bolt shouldn't have broken. If you collide sideways with the rim agains a curb, something has to give. If nothing breaks, where would the kinetic energy go?
Indeed - bend or break. Break at least leaves you knowing there's a problem - bend you find out much later ... Still think 13K for this is ridiculous - and the wait for everyone who needs repair is obscene. Here's to M3 driving a very necessary service and repair overhaul.

AAA in Southern California (along State Farm and other major players) are already instituting much higher insurance rates specifically for the Tesla. My friend and I both picked up our Model S in late December and both our annual premium quotes were around $3,000 to $4,000 annually for just the Tesla. The exception to the rule was Geico (which came in at the lowest at $1,200). However, I will never switch to Geico based on numerous stories I've heard on their practices but thats another topic all-together.

For reference, I have 4 cars and 2 motorcycles on my policy, I am 41 with no accidents and my previous vehicle (911 Carrera) was only $1,200 a month. Total combined for all my vehicles with my wife and myself is around $3,000 annually. The Tesla by itself DOUBLED our premium so were now paying around $6,000 annually.

The AAA Agent specifically quoted the absurdly high cost of repairs for the Tesla as the reason for the premium. He noted that insurance companies are watching the Tesla platform specifically

I'm sure your insurance company reviewed the estimate; those are just a few observations that caught my attention........for what's it's worth.:)
-
As mentioned previously; I sure pray Tesla figures out this parts supply chain issue and limited repair facilities before the M3 release; or thing will could get ugly in a hurry.:-([/QUOTE]

IMHO these two sentences are the meat and potatoes of this discussion. 1. REALLY sorry for what the op is going through. 2. I respect all the input others have posted here - many experiences and opinions worth thinking about. 3. I had a hit and run over a year ago (they found the girl who did it....she ended up admitting it...and no ticket or charge filed...a whole other story about protecting perps over victims in our state...a different discussion)...anyway after the initial shock, being pissed off....the damage really looked minimal to myself and the other "amateur" mechanics gathered 'round. Whew. Feeling better. Drove to the ONE certified shop. THEN .... (I won't go into details...not relevant to my point). THEN....the shop owner pointing out how "fragile" Tesla's are (ouch) and then showing me the parts list, labor and time period (ouch). To the point made about insurance company diligence....I saw it.....BOTH my insurance company and the hit and run girl's company (who had to pay) joined forces with their "Tesla experts" and together inspected the car, all the parts that (surprisingly to me) had to be replaced, and the total bill. I thought that, as others have posted, repair shops are "ripoff joints"....so I stood back. After talking to BOTH insurance "experts" (initially my guy said the other companies' guy was grumpy and a real nit picker)...they BOTH agreed with the shop. The cost was very high for the hit and run girl's insurance. I got a piece of junk rental (I know someone will tell me I should have not allowed that...I get it) and got the long wait for "Tesla parts".

So I really agree with the poster I quoted. Insurance companies "review" (sometimes with a lot of footwork) the charges....this car is VERY EXPENSIVE to repair....it is what it is. AND I join him in praying Tesla figures out the parts supply chain. They are growing SO fast in sales backlog........problematic for them IMHO where to put resources. I still love my now NEW second Tesla--- a P100D Ludicrous with every option) and I cannot help but love the company.

So I really agree with the poster I quoted. Insurance companies "review" (sometimes with a lot of footwork) the charges....this car is VERY EXPENSIVE to repair....it is what it is. AND I join him in praying Tesla figures out the parts supply chain. They are growing SO fast in sales backlog........problematic for them IMHO where to put resources.

.. bingo! It's about priorities! And because new cars make them more money, Tesla will always keep servicing existing fleet on a low priority.

So as existing owners, we need to ensure that servicing existing cars becomes a priority. And it won't become a priority until it hits Tesla's bottom line, i.e. new sales.

Many prospective new owners usually do not appreciate how ridiculously expensive this car is to fix.
We need to educate them, and demand Tesla to do better! And it is not immoral to convey the true full accurate picture of ownership to a prospective new owner. The good and the bad.

Sure you may loose a referral or two, but seriously folks, only so many Tesla jackets you need.

Reactions: Mobster and Max*
And apparently by the end of Q1 2017, expected service wait time worldwide (!) will be only one day. Seems like another reality distortion field to me, but I sure hope it's true.

Regarding parts, I overheard a discussion at the SC where the VIN was being discussed because the part in question had changed design 19 times! Many manufacturers have JIT supply issues with low volume parts - the problem for Tesla owners is that almost all replacement parts (expect the bumpers I guess) are going to be in low volume demand by global auto industry standards.

Yeah, this should not break given the circumstances - assumes no prior impact of course and that this was not an individual component failure. But comparing an MS with a Korean car suggests you have not even driven an MS let alone own one.

i have a 2016 p85d and i have driven just about every car on the planet (i am a diagnostics technician so i get to drive 3-4 different ones every day) i think the qualifys me to asess the build quality of a car and trust me tesla are not even in the top 20 the only thing that makes them special is the technology of the propulsion system nothing else, even the noisy wiper motors sound like somthing from the 80s ...

I tried.

The Tesla dealership will not look at it. The dealership only works on warranty repairs, not collision repairs. Tesla will only refer me to this shop and this shop only.

That makes no sense to me. I bumped the bottom of my 85D's front suspension on a rock driving on a road I really shouldn't have been on, requiring disassembly of the suspension and steering and replacement of multiple components -- albeit several months later when I brought the car in for funny noises at full steering lock (parking), which it had been repaired for under warranty before I hit the rock. I told the SC what had happened and let them know if I'd caused the problem, I didn't expect a free warranty repair. They didn't give me any trouble about doing the repair, thanked me for telling them ahead of time and avoiding an awkward conversation, and I never heard a word about them "only working on warranty repairs".

Cost was about $3K, which stung, but it was my fault, so I ate it. I would never use a body shop for any repairs that weren't primarily body work and find it a little shocking that Tesla told you to.

• Disagree
Reactions: njxman and mblakele
i have a 2016 p85d and i have driven just about every car on the planet (i am a diagnostics technician so i get to drive 3-4 different ones every day) i think the qualifys me to asess the build quality of a car and trust me tesla are not even in the top 20 the only thing that makes them special is the technology of the propulsion system nothing else, even the noisy wiper motors sound like somthing from the 80s ...
Is that the top 20 manufactures or car models? Not in the top 20 car models wouldn't be too surprising. The fact that your biggest complaint is the sound of the wiper motor is a good sign. My wiper motors sound fine to me. One question I have for you, all things considered, do you think the build quality is good enough?

Is that the top 20 manufactures or car models? Not in the top 20 car models wouldn't be too surprising. The fact that your biggest complaint is the sound of the wiper motor is a good sign. My wiper motors sound fine to me. One question I have for you, all things considered, do you think the build quality is good enough?

for the cost NO.... i could pick holes for hours but every make/model has its faults its just the little things that lets it down like the rear quarter carpet in the boot shockingly flimsy with nothing to hold it in place (once removed never fits right again) all interior lights are rubbish (a candle is brighter) i could list at least 20 things that could/should be better having said that...... i cant fault the the drive/handling for a car this big/heavy and the performance is great which is why i bought it..

Last edited:
Several aspects of the OP's story trouble me. And believe me, i sympathize with him and hope his repairs are done ASAP.

First, the idea that the body shop would do mechanical repairs. The last time I had an accident that required both body work and mechanical repairs, the body shop sent the car back to the mechanical shop (same owner, franchised dealer), and it was done correctly. I had a previous accident repair done many years earlier in which the body shop tried to do the mechanical repair on brakes themselves -- I was nearly in an accident driving out of the shop when the job was (supposedly) done because the brakes did not work! So I would never again want a body shop to do mechanical work. That is not their expertise.

Second, the supply chain issues with Tesla's spare parts are becoming altogether too common. It seems as if this should have gotten sorted out by now. Model 3 will make the problem far, far more challenging. I am beginning to doubt Tesla's ability to scale up their service operation to match their sales success.

And third, the notion that so many parts had to be replaced seems bizarre, as others have said. This is the toughest issue to be sure about, not knowing enough about the damage and the Tesla design. But it sounds as if either the design is too fragile, or the repair guidance is too vague, or the body shop (certified or not) is either misinterpreting or taking advantage. I have certainly had many, many suspension and steering parts replaced on my many cars over the 48 years I drove before I got a Tesla (admittedly from corrosion or wear/tear damage, not from a collision), and I do not ever recall any one repair involving so many seemingly unaffected but connected parts. I hope this is a fluke and not a trend.