Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Holy crap, repairs are insanely expensive, beware!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
on Jan 19, 2016 I slid on ice in a parking lot in my new P90D. I hit a patch of ice in a slight downhill slope resulting in me hitting a curb. After hitting the curb, I check out the car, no visible damage. Parked the car, went into my office. All seemed fine.

When backing out of the parking stall, heard a crack and the drivers side front wheel tilted, I knew I was screwed. The Tesla was kaput.

Looking under the wheel, here's what I see:

IMG_0060.JPG

The bolt securing the steering tie to the wheel chassis is broken.

I call the tow, they take it to the only certified Tesla shop in the area. The insurance company estimates the repair to be $2,000. The body shop estimates it at $13,500.

Knowing I'm getting fleeced,I call tesla, the replacement part runs about $375. But Tesla doesn't repair collision damage. They refer me to the only authorized body shop within 500 miles.

The body shows me a service bulletin put out by Tesla. It says in the event ANY damage to ANY steering or suspsenion component is encountered, one must replace XXX. This involves basically a new front end. Dropping the batteries, new AC compressor, new engine radiator, new beanies, all new suspension, new steering components,etc. a TON of work for fixing impact to one wheel at less than 5 mph.

This is so painful. It's been 4 weeks waiting for parts. Still waiting for more to come in.

The insurance approved &12,800 of the repairs, I'll just come out of pocket on the other repairs just to get it done. The shop says 85 hours of labor, so about 2 weeks once all the parts are in.

Holy cow, everyone needs to be prepared for enormous spikes in insurance rates for Teslas. This is a $1000 problem turned into a $13,000 problem. I just don't see how carriers are going to be ok with the repair costs of these vehicles.

I anticipate at least another month for this repair to take place. The service manager had over 30 other Teslas in his queue. He said my repair was one of the more simple repairs. Others are in the $50-$80k range.

Here's another pic.
IMG_0066.JPG

Crazy things these Teslas.

I'm more worried about it getting put back together properly than the other parts actually being bad. I'm sure if I were to take the 100 parts being replaced, 98 of them would show no damage or wear.

I'll post the memo and estimate tomorrow after I can redact personal and shop info. For some reason my phone won't let me add more files to this post.

Yikes. What a nightmare.

It's the only Tesla approved shop and I have insurance. The last thing I want to do is screw myself into a partial repair.

I don't know enough about the repairs to call their bluff and it's my insurance companies job to challenge it.

I'm not comfortable replacing the part on my own. I feel kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one. If the insurance co would have suggested another alternative, I would have supported it for sure.

That's ridiculous. I'd be telling them it's insurance fraud and you're calling the state insurance department. It's things like this that drive our rates up.

That said, I can't believe how fragile these components are. I've seen a number of other posts about similar damage. Also makes me concerned about what could happen undertaking a high-speed emergency maneuver. What if something like this happens at speed?

That's ridiculous. I'd be telling them it's insurance fraud and you're calling the state insurance department. It's things like this that drive our rates up.

That said, I can't believe how fragile these components are. I've seen a number of other posts about similar damage. Also makes me concerned about what could happen undertaking a high-speed emergency maneuver. What if something like this happens at speed?

The service manager said he has seen similiar damage just at high speed turns because the vehicle is so heavy. He has 8 Teslas in his shop with the exact same repair.

I had the same issue with my old NSX back in the day. All aluminum and control arms etc. It was over 20k in work. This is why we have insurance 500/1000 and be done with it. WIll rates go up for you, I am sure. I have USAA and they are great taking care of my cars (including my old NSX)

Now, the wait time to get it fix sucks. Maybe you can find a shop on your own that has the credibility

Reactions: Jaff and Turing
In order to replace all the parts on that list, a lot more work is required. Work like removing bumpers, dropping batteries, removing A/C compressors. It's crazy.

It's not really replacing the entire front end, just the parts and labor list is so large it seems that way. Maybe a tear down and re-build is a better way to explain it.

I'd be happy to post the official repair estimate so all can see.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Will the warranty fail if you don't replace all the components they suggested?
The list is exaggerative.

This is exactly why I gave up trying to fight it. If there is only one authorized shop, and they have an official bulletin they must follow, and the insurance co has liability if not following the manufacturers required repair process, then you see the conundrum.

Everyone is scared.

I admit, I don't know much about these vehicles. They are amazing to drive, but when I look at the repair list, I am not the best to describe what is actually being done. I can tell you there are references to radiators and coolant pumps. Maybe not replacing them completely, but it does involve work being done. Could be to access other parts to replace.

Last edited:
Chances are you could have replaced the control arm and been fine. And just to be clear, that's a control arm, not anything that connects the steering wheel to the car. You're thinking of the tie-rod end.

I think the reason Tesla is almost comically over-safe here is because of Autopilot and the need for all components to be properly working for autosteer. You don't want to find out you've got an issue with your rack when the car is on the expressway steering itself.

I'd love to hear Tesla's explanation as to why that's necessary.