Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charge Points Discussion and Suggestions [megathread]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They will probably fit an additional consumer unit if no space. TBH that is preferable anyhow - keeps prolonged high current out of an existing consumer unit.

Gen 3 TWC already has the DC protection built in so no need for B type RCD.

Earth protection is dependent on your current earthing arrangement. Electrician will tell you what additional protection is needed if any.
Thanks for the reply do they sell a consumer unit with earthing arrangement? As i think i will opt for that also? Many thanks for the help
Gen3 still needs supplemental earthing if the supply is PME, usually in the form of a rod. Had a Gen3 fitted in the (detached) garage last week, along with O-PEN protection in a separate box adjacent to the garage sub-panel. Fortunately, I had an earth rod fitted already as part of the PowerWall installation last month.

Steve
hi steve, any chance of a picture of your install or the o-pen device you have fitted? I wonder if i can get a open device with earth protection as i dont have earth rods as its also located in a garage. @scdoubleu

They will probably fit an additional consumer unit if no space. TBH that is preferable anyhow - keeps prolonged high current out of an existing consumer unit.

Gen 3 TWC already has the DC protection built in so no need for B type RCD.

Earth protection is dependent on your current earthing arrangement. Electrician will tell you what additional protection is needed if any.
Thanks for the reply do they sell a consumer unit with earthing arrangement? As i think i will opt for that also? Many thanks for the help

Hi, or would it be the case of fitting this?

Attachments

• BEC889C0-FBFE-4DD7-8596-D63B85E051B6.png
    BEC889C0-FBFE-4DD7-8596-D63B85E051B6.png
    357.5 KB · Views: 94
Hi all im after some advice if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on running a 6mm cable to a 32amp outlet on my hager board i have a spare zone (see picture circled in red)

Is this sufficient as im reading i need a type b rcd? And also surge protection And possibly pen device?

It is being installed by a qualified electrician but i want to make sure its done correctly myself and future proofed.

TYIA. Ben
Hi Ben,

It's a really easy install for your electrician. The way mine was done was like this....

My electrician installed a henly block after the meter and added a Garo G6EV40PME (essentially a new circuit) The Garo has built in PEN protection and breaker. The Tesla wall connector was then connected to the Garo.

1636361876936.jpeg

1636361905060.jpeg

let me know if you need more info

Reactions: 8enj
Oh and the Garo is much better built that the unit you posted (and cheaper) £130.54 delivered next day DPD from Fastlec
For clarity, I think I'm right in saying that this box doesn't cover the 6mA DC RCD protection (which isn't a problem so long as it's being used in conjunction with a charge point that already includes it.)

@Adopado i have the gen 3 latest charger?

Tesla Wall Connector Features​

• Up to 44 miles of range per hour of charge for new vehicles
  • Type 2 handle
  • Max 32 amp output
  • Supports 400 V three-phase Wye, 230 V three-phase Delta and 230 V single-phase wye grid types
  • Supports TT, TN and IT grid types
  • Built in RCD Type A + DC 6mA protection ******* [Yes ...this bit!]
  • Wi-Fi connectivity (2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n)
  • Power sharing (up to four Wall Connectors)
  • 7.3 m (24 ft) cable length
  • Approved for indoor and outdoor installation (IP55)
  • Tempered white glass faceplate

Tesla Wall Connector Features​

• Up to 44 miles of range per hour of charge for new vehicles
  • Type 2 handle
  • Max 32 amp output
  • Supports 400 V three-phase Wye, 230 V three-phase Delta and 230 V single-phase wye grid types
  • Supports TT, TN and IT grid types
  • Built in RCD Type A + DC 6mA protection ******* [Yes ...this bit!]
  • Wi-Fi connectivity (2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n)
  • Power sharing (up to four Wall Connectors)
  • 7.3 m (24 ft) cable length
  • Approved for indoor and outdoor installation (IP55)
  • Tempered white glass faceplate
Perfect thanks

Sorry to necro this thread, but am I right in thinking if I have a Tesla Gen3 Wall Charger and my house is on a TT supply, then I just need over current protection in the consumer unit (40A for Single Phase) and a new Type B with 6mA DC protection would be just overkill (or belt and braces if you like)?

Sorry to necro this thread, but am I right in thinking if I have a Tesla Gen3 Wall Charger and my house is on a TT supply, then I just need over current protection in the consumer unit (40A for Single Phase) and a new Type B with 6mA DC protection would be just overkill (or belt and braces if you like)?
Hi i think the 6ma dc is built in on the gen 3 so you just need to the type b 40a i purchased this one @Washout

Attachments

• D94005CC-5D6C-4495-9727-E57EA8EEAB23.png
    D94005CC-5D6C-4495-9727-E57EA8EEAB23.png
    246 KB · Views: 73
Reactions: Washout