Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charger installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Getting ready for my new Tesla which will be delivered next week. Today I am having a home charger installed.

Attachments

• charger1.jpg
    charger1.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 139
  • charger3-300.jpg
    charger3-300.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: GSP
I see you are in London. Very different looking charger from the ones I've seen here. Thanks for the pic.

Congrats on the soon to be new car! Our garage is prepped and waiting for ours to come back from Xpel at end of week. Sure you are as anxious as me to have yours home. Best of luck with your car and delivery. What did you order?

I use a J1772 EVSE for regular home charging. I can also charge my leaf and my brother has a leaf he charges when he visits. Even my parents have a leaf. J1772 is the default standard and allows total flexibility. Granted I installed the EVSE three years ago before I got my 60D but I'd do the same if I had a choice today. I can always unplug my EVSE and go 14-50 if I need 40A instead of 30A. 30A gives 23 miles of range per hour.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
To be honest it was mainly due to cost, the Tesla charger / AC power unit costs around £400 and is not available with the government grant.

With the government grant I was able to purchase and have installed the Rolec AC power unit for only £190 it came with a 5 metre tethered cable which plugs directly into the Tesla.

I've been using it for a week now and it works flawlessly. The great thing about the Rolec AC power unit is that all the parts inside are completely off-the-shelf.

So when the warranty runs out if any of the parts break, new parts can be purchased from any electrical wholesaler. Also the cables can be switched out so if i ever get a different car
which uses a different connector it wouldn't be a problem.

I can even change the tethered cable for a socket, just in case my husband decides to buy his own electric car which he's thinking about doing, this would probably be the new
Electric Jaguar which will probably use a different type of connector.

Reactions: Sully's8
The photo shows a J1772. Just curious, why did you install that, which requires an adapter to connect to the Tesla, rather than the Tesla Wall Connector?

Not likely.

I would bet that it is a Type 2 (Mennekes) plug, not a Type 1 (J1772). British and European Teslas all are equipped with a type 2 inlet at the factory in Fremont (except for the Roadster, of course).

Unlike North American Teslas, no adapter is required.

GSP

The photo shows a J1772. Just curious, why did you install that, which requires an adapter to connect to the Tesla, rather than the Tesla Wall Connector?
To support fast charging at home, I use a power outlets 5 pin IEC 60309 adapter providing 3 phase 230/400 VAC charging at 16 A (max 11 kW). And using the Tesla Mobile Connector with the Red Adapter (for Europe).This gives me 62-66 km or 41 miles of range per hour.

Attachments

• Load at home 2.PNG
    Load at home 2.PNG
    851.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Power Adapter 1.jpg
    Power Adapter 1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 63