Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Installation Location Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They definitely could do it. The Model X has that capability for the falcon wing doors. It senses a low ceiling and keeps the doors from hitting it. But it's probably too expensive to put the sensors into the Model Y.
That was not the system being suggested by the prior poster. There would be no need for any sensors. GPS would tell the car "I'm at home" and lower the max-height accordingly. If GPS said "I'm not at home" it would open the trunk all the way. Something like that, anyway.

I'm not sure I'd want to use that, but it would be good to have the option.

exactly - just run the trunk-open routine through the same IF statement that the mirror-folding and door-locking and sentry-active routines go through

AND ... while they're at it, add a profile for the pax (maybe just the seat settings)

I'd put it on the driver's side of wherever you plan to park each day. It's nice to be able to stay on the driver's side, plug or unplug, without squeezing between the back of the car and the garage door. You, of course, could open the garage door first, but it's nice not letting the winter blast of cold air hit me before my first cup of coffee each morning.

exactly - just run the trunk-open routine through the same IF statement that the mirror-folding and door-locking and sentry-active routines go through

AND ... while they're at it, add a profile for the pax (maybe just the seat settings)
Ah. So you would only bump your head when you are at home.

That might be a reasonable tradeoff and it only requires a software change. Pretty decent idea.

Exact enough?

Attachments

• 20210914_090735 (1).jpg
    20210914_090735 (1).jpg
    269 KB · Views: 72
This makes me nervous and illustrates a potential hazard of installing a charger in the pillar between garage doors - you run the risk of the cable getting damaged by the door as it goes down. If you do use that location make sure the cable is protected from the track and rollers.
This is why I did not install it in that location. In our house with my kids and wife it is a sure bet the cable would be damaged. Went with the corner of the side wall, can reach 2 bays.
Also, if your panel is in the garage already those prices seem really high. I had mine run from the opposite side of the house and far side of garage for less money.