Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home Charging Installation Location Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I'm having an electrician come inspect my house today to give me a quote. I have a three car garage and trying to figure out which location is best to put a charger.

I'm thinking of putting it on the pillar in between my two garages as it'll give me the flexibility to put the Tesla in either side. I'm planning on getting the 24ft Wall Connector.

Would there be enough room within this pillar to fit the wall connector as well as the wiring? It's about 22 inches between both garages.

Otherwise, my backup is what I marked in blue and red on the 3rd photo.

My breaker is in my basement opposite of this attached garage.

Attachments

• IMG-3626.jpg
    IMG-3626.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG-3630.jpg
    IMG-3630.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG-3625.jpeg
    IMG-3625.jpeg
    403.3 KB · Views: 169
First of all, electricity doesn't work in a garage that's that untidy! 🤡

The pillar in the middle is a good spot if you can get the power to it, but if you get the 24ft cord, it should work for both bays if it's in the blue bit. You just might have to unplug the further away (from the wall connector) to get the closer vehicle in or out

I suggest asking the electrician to quote both locations. Then get the Wall Connector and have someone hold it at each location. You can then see how well it fits (or does not fit) between the garages. Or if you put it on one side of the garage, how well it will reach a car on the far end. Then make your choice.

I suggest asking the electrician to quote both locations. Then get the Wall Connector and have someone hold it at each location. You can then see how well it fits (or does not fit) between the garages. Or if you put it on one side of the garage, how well it will reach a car on the far end. Then make your choice.

Hmm so the first quote I got for the red location near the back of the garage will be around $750 and in between the pillars, around $1250. My house breakers have room we have 200 amp service.

Not sure if these prices are good or not.

Hmm so the first quote I got for the red location near the back of the garage will be around $750 and in between the pillars, around $1250. My house breakers have room we have 200 amp service.

Not sure if these prices are good or not.
Good news on the breakers! An extra $500 for the additional run “sounds” a bit high. I had something similar and the difference was $250. Always get multiple quotes.

Hi all, I'm having an electrician come inspect my house today to give me a quote. I have a three car garage and trying to figure out which location is best to put a charger.

I'm thinking of putting it on the pillar in between my two garages as it'll give me the flexibility to put the Tesla in either side. I'm planning on getting the 24ft Wall Connector.

Would there be enough room within this pillar to fit the wall connector as well as the wiring? It's about 22 inches between both garages.

Otherwise, my backup is what I marked in blue and red on the 3rd photo.

My breaker is in my basement opposite of this attached garage.
That's exactly where we put ours. I park on the single side and need about 6 feet of cable. My wife parks on the double side and needs about 15 feet to loop all the way around to her car's port. Our sparky ran external conduit to minimize fishing behind walls and make the run as short as possible.

I'd put it in between the doors for sure. I don't want to think about who's gonna be running over the cord(blue spot), or having to reel/unreel a charging cord all the time(red spot)

I should note that I actually installed the HPWC on the wall opposite the Blue, at about the same location, and ran hangers for the charge cord just above the garage door so the handle's 'permanent' location is in between the doors. It would be far too much of a pain to switch charging-bay locations often, but if needed it can certainly be done. You probably can't do that with the HPWC in the actual blue location in your picture because the cord won't be long enough to span two bays and still reach down to the car.

Here's a thread with pics, for clarity My charging installation

Note that that was with the Gen2 HPWC/cord, so the Gen3 could use the smaller hangers easily.

I should note that I actually installed the HPWC on the wall opposite the Blue, at about the same location, and ran hangers for the charge cord just above the garage door so the handle's 'permanent' location is in between the doors. It would be far too much of a pain to switch charging-bay locations often, but if needed it can certainly be done. You probably can't do that with the HPWC in the actual blue location in your picture because the cord won't be long enough to span two bays and still reach down to the car.

Here's a thread with pics, for clarity My charging installation

Note that that was with the Gen2 HPWC/cord, so the Gen3 could use the smaller hangers easily.

The blue location might not work as my house actually has a 3 car garage so putting it in the blue section won't allow for the cord to reach across 3 bays I'm guessing.

IMG-3631.jpg

Looks like the same size as my recent installation spot. I had to cut the drywall and reinforce it with a piece of wood before the install. This is mounted at 60inches from the floor…

Attachments

• A5CB473E-C081-484C-B446-2BA0566B08CE.jpeg
    A5CB473E-C081-484C-B446-2BA0566B08CE.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 144
We installed ours in the same spot. The only issue we have had is that the cord tended to hit the garage door sensor and knock it out of alignment so the door would not close. Had to build a small box to protect the sensor,

We put ours in between the doors for flexibility, similar to the picture above. Only difference is that we had the carger installed slightly off center to make it easier to get the handle out, then mounted 2 "Gecko's Toes" hose mounts ($10 from amazon) sideways to organize the cables. This has worked well for us...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 12.58.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 12.58.54 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 114
There is something else to think about. You might not want to pull into your garage, but back in instead. So you would put the charger on the far wall away from the garage door.

The reason you might want to prefer backing in is because when you open the hatch on the Model Y with the garage door open, the hatch can make contact with the garage door and make some nasty scratches and dents in the paint of your Model Y.

You can adjust the max height of the hatch door so it doesn't make contact with the garage door. But then you will end up hitting your head whenever to take stuff in and out of the trunk.

My head and my wife's head both took a beating. So we just gave up and started backing into the garage all the time. That way, we can set the hatch back to the maximum height and never worry about it hitting the garage door.

Reactions: MrJeep997
You can adjust the max height of the hatch door so it doesn't make contact

That was THE first thing I did when I got mine ... because I'm parked under a carport so the full height would have made my trunk look like the trunks on the demo models at the gallery - you know, the ones they keep in the underground parking garage <bang head>

...and yes, I've whacked my head a couple of times already

How cool would it be if they could make that location dependent, like Sentry Mode and Folding Mirrors and Locking Doors