Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is: would the above suppliers refuse to install the device given the fact that I am not a Freehold owner?
Thanks
"
Personally, I think it sounds very much like a case of "better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission". I say just do it and figure the rest out later. It's a positive addition to the building and unlikely to be something you will be told to remove once it's in situ (if your immediate neighbours aren't bothered) and who's gonna tell the council?!!

What's the worse that can happen, you'll be told to remove or relocate it? Any reputable installer would just care that you are an owner (and as a leaseholder you are) at the address and that they get paid. I'd be amazed if it affected the OLEV grant application, particularly if you get the installer to fill in the forms and make the claim for you.

I say just do it and figure the rest out later. It's a positive addition to the building and unlikely to be something you will be told to remove once it's in situ

While I agree with you I don't think the council will take kindly to me going ahead with the installation, especially after the head of the housing division has explicitly refused permission.
I say this because I encountered a team of 5 "inspectors" three days ago. I asked what they were inspecting and was told that they were verifying that all tenants had responded to a recent fire regulations letter and removed their possessions from the communal areas. A couple of hours later the communal areas were bereft of all door mats!

While I agree with you I don't think the council will take kindly to me going ahead with the installation, especially after the head of the housing division has explicitly refused permission.
I say this because I encountered a team of 5 "inspectors" three days ago. I asked what they were inspecting and was told that they were verifying that all tenants had responded to a recent fire regulations letter and removed their possessions from the communal areas. A couple of hours later the communal areas were bereft of all door mats!
I think you worry too much. As long as you are sensible and not creating a fire/trip hazard or similar they would struggle to give you a good reason to remove it (I know the council never need a good reason for anything, but you know what I mean). Central Government is currently all pissed off with local government over their lack of pro-activity in this area with literally ££Millions of unclaimed funding for the promotion of EV charge points. I say, put it in, wait to be asked for it to be removed and call the local/national Press!!

While everyone else has been getting excited about picking up their car next week, I have just been stood staring at my wall all day...
ROLEC Smart EV Charger.jpg

I think you worry too much. As long as you are sensible and not creating a fire/trip hazard or similar they would struggle to give you a good reason to remove it (I know the council never need a good reason for anything, but you know what I mean).

Doesn't sound like it would be much of a struggle as he would be affixing the cable to parts of the building outside his Leasehold and running cable across common areas of the property.

Does anyone think the charger has been placed too high here? Feels like it could be lower with a cable tidy underneath? Less cables visible below too if lower. View attachment 436890

Mine is fixed with the bottom of the unit at 900mm off the ground.

Running the cable around the unit does work very well though, it is heavy and stiff cable but very easy to work with when stored like that, I wouldn't want to put it any lower though due to the way the handle stores in the charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEE3
Mine is fixed with the bottom of the unit at 900mm off the ground.

Running the cable around the unit does work very well though, it is heavy and stiff cable but very easy to work with when stored like that, I wouldn't want to put it any lower though due to the way the handle stores in the charger.

The bottom of my charger is 1.2 from the ground so I think it will be lowered by the height of the charger this week and then a separate cable tidy to the right. Just to bring the whole arrangement down below the midpoint of the window height so it’s a little less imposing.

The bottom of my charger is 1.2 from the ground so I think it will be lowered by the height of the charger this week and then a separate cable tidy to the right. Just to bring the whole arrangement down below the midpoint of the window height so it’s a little less imposing.

One small suggestion, this may not matter once you have your cable tidy in place, but right now you appear to have the cable wrapped around the charger clock-wise which makes storing the handle difficult and puts a tight bend in the cable. If you wrap it anti-clockwise it is much easier as the cable will hang straight down with the handle stored (there is a 'hook' which retains the handle when it is placed correctly.).

• Informative
Reactions: ediflyer
One small suggestion, this may not matter once you have your cable tidy in place, but right now you appear to have the cable wrapped around the charger clock-wise which makes storing the handle difficult and puts a tight bend in the cable. If you wrap it anti-clockwise it is much easier as the cable will hang straight down with the handle stored (there is a 'hook' which retains the handle when it is placed correctly.).
Thanks I thought this one wasn’t looking as neat as others I’d seen.

Reactions: Mark_T
Ok guys (and girls) I am after some help please. I am wanting to order a M3 but as I am in privately rented accommodation I need the landlords permission to fit a charger and they don't seem convinced from what the letting agent is saying :(. I have emailed an image of the Pod Point charger and I think they would fix it to the side of the property which is just around the corner from the drive so it would be easy to plug in. The meter is also on the same side of the property so I am guessing they would run cable directly to the meter cabinet? Assuming this to be the case I am guessing that they would not need to drill to the inside of the property and the charger just screws on the house (brick construction). I have offered to leave it or have it removed when we vacate the property but if it's removed I am guessing it would just be screw holes so not really visible unless looking closely? Also do you know if any of the 7kw chargers are smaller/better looking as I am not sure if this would sway them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ok guys (and girls) I am after some help please. I am wanting to order a M3 but as I am in privately rented accommodation I need the landlords permission to fit a charger and they don't seem convinced from what the letting agent is saying :(. I have emailed an image of the Pod Point charger and I think they would fix it to the side of the property which is just around the corner from the drive so it would be easy to plug in. The meter is also on the same side of the property so I am guessing they would run cable directly to the meter cabinet? Assuming this to be the case I am guessing that they would not need to drill to the inside of the property and the charger just screws on the house (brick construction). I have offered to leave it or have it removed when we vacate the property but if it's removed I am guessing it would just be screw holes so not really visible unless looking closely? Also do you know if any of the 7kw chargers are smaller/better looking as I am not sure if this would sway them? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Can't help on the installation details, but there are some smaller / potentially more attractive options than Pod-Point. See the commonly cited spreadsheet with all the UK options: EVSE Options

The Andersen is often considered the most attractive: Andersen A2 | Stylish and Smart Enabled Electric Car Charging Points

The smallest overall footprint is probably an untethered EO Mini Pro: EO Mini Pro | EO Charging | Smart electric vehicle charging