Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't help on the installation details, but there are some smaller / potentially more attractive options than Pod-Point. See the commonly cited spreadsheet with all the UK options: EVSE Options

The Andersen is often considered the most attractive: Andersen A2 | Stylish and Smart Enabled Electric Car Charging Points

The smallest overall footprint is probably an untethered EO Mini Pro: EO Mini Pro | EO Charging | Smart electric vehicle charging

Thank you, I have forwarded the links on. I am shocked at how small the EO Mini Pro is! Does it do exactly the same job as the Pod Point?

That’s right. And a 3 pin plug will add about 7-8 miles of range every hour to your M3. Is there no option for charging near where you work?

Unfortunately I'm a private hire/chauffeur driver so I need as much home charging as possible. Hopefully the smaller charger will make them agree to the installation, my fingers and toes are crossed!

Just out of interest if they say no I assume the best I will get at home is the 3 pin plus? If that's the case I think I would be unable to purchase :(
I'm still waiting to hear whether I'll be able to get charging in my underground car park at my flat or not - it hasn't put me off though, as lots of good public charging near me so with LR model I'm happy it should be manageable. Maybe worth checking out ZapMap etc and seeing what's about?

Reactions: m3gt2
Unfortunately I'm a private hire/chauffeur driver so I need as much home charging as possible. Hopefully the smaller charger will make them agree to the installation, my fingers and toes are crossed!
Ah damn, replies crossed! Guess that could make it trickier - taxi drivers in Dundee have found it quite do-able charging at the rapids but I guess if you're doing longer distance jobs that might not be practical.

I'm still waiting to hear whether I'll be able to get charging in my underground car park at my flat or not - it hasn't put me off though, as lots of good public charging near me so with LR model I'm happy it should be manageable. Maybe worth checking out ZapMap etc and seeing what's about?

Thanks but doing up to 100k miles a year really means I need fast charging at home for it to be viable.

Ah damn, replies crossed! Guess that could make it trickier - taxi drivers in Dundee have found it quite do-able charging at the rapids but I guess if you're doing longer distance jobs that might not be practical.

Thanks, the majority of my work is Leicestershire to Heathrow which I know has plenty of rapid charging options on the way, as I also would with Stansted and Manchester. It would just male it so hard as sometimes you get last minutes jobs so I would like it to be at a high state of charge whenever possible. It would also massively add to the cost of running it if not homecharging.

Reactions: ediflyer
Have you checked the size of your main fuse. If you only have 60A, that may also scupper you unless you can get it upgraded. Ideally you want a 100A main fuse, but 80A may be workable depending on personal factors like heating and cooking.

No I haven't but will do. On my side is the fact that we have a gas hob and heating/hot water so the only major draw is the oven and tumble dryer (would love to get rid of this!)

Charging at my flat was a make/break for me. Thankfully my flat is directly behind my space, and the freeholder agreed for me to have it installed. There aren't many chargers near me and no superchargers for quite a way away, I would have had to get an ICE otherwise.

Just had a look and it is 100A so everything is crossed for the landlord to say yes now!
Hope you pointed out to them that it may make the flat appeal to a wider audience when you decide to move on, plus they will benefit from not having to install one themselves in future when they widely become an expected fitting.

From landlords perspective, they may be tied by lease terms, so may need to obtain permission from the freeholder, which may incur some license fees - usually extortionate. So it may not be in your landlords hands, especially if they are letting without freeholders being aware, which again, often involves a costly license. At ends of the day, it depends who the freeholder is and whether there is any likelihood of them finding out - may be tied in with a management company.

Hope you pointed out to them that it may make the flat appeal to a wider audience when you decide to move on, plus they will benefit from not having to install one themselves in future when they widely become an expected fitting.

From landlords perspective, they may be tied by lease terms, so may need to obtain permission from the freeholder, which may incur some license fees - usually extortionate. So it may not be in your landlords hands, especially if they are letting without freeholders being aware, which again, often involves a costly license. At ends of the day, it depends who the freeholder is and whether there is any likelihood of them finding out - may be tied in with a management company.

It's a detached house so freehold, I really can't see a negative for them, if they want it taking out when we leave I am happy to pay for it to be removed and put right anything that gets damaged, which I don't think will be the case?

I have attached a photo with a very crude overview of where I think it would be installed and cable run. I was standing on the edge of the drive so I would be able to reverse down and the charge port would be very close to the installation.

Attachments

• 88FD9089-0BE2-44C1-BAD6-8951E2C16FCE.jpeg
    88FD9089-0BE2-44C1-BAD6-8951E2C16FCE.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 89
Just another thought, what would be involved in installing a 32a commando?

Contact electrician, hopefully simple - the previous person in my house wired a commando socket to a 3 pin plug.. I have kept it as as a monument to just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

This is where I see the whole pain of the DC tripping RCDs falls apart, unless someone can educate me (@arg ;) ) If it's a commando or regular 13A socket then the socket doesn't know you're plugging in an EV, so in which case there isn't always going to be a very expensive breaker. This feels like a gaping hole from the IET regulations, diligent people will jump through the hoops, I guess many electricians may not be aware, I will (have) waste hours trying to research this..

[ off-topic rant - I feel cheated by our country that regs and standards that we are meant to adhere to aren't freely available (BS, Building Regs, Wiring Regs etc) Wiring Regs & 18th Edition feels like Spark Tax and the average interested person isn't likely to pay the £95 for the regs and £35 for the site guide. Though 30% IET member discount is reasonably good. I wonder if it's the google syndome - it could be free but much like the person thinking they have bubonic plague thanks to Siri/Alexa and heading to their GP, the poor old spark would have idiots like me saying I spent ages looking at this and I think it should be this way. On balance knowledge is power surely?]

Given you're offering to pay for the installation and leave it in situ when moving out, I think your landlord would be bonkers to refuse. It's adding value for him for free!

Complete agreement here - UK Plans All the New-Build Homes Fitted With EV Charging Points - World-Energy I think this has been going back at least a year.

Even if it's a listed building there needs to be an easy route for this, it seemed to happen with Gas Meters with the boom in North Sea gas.