Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is: would the above suppliers refuse to install the device given the fact that I am not a Freehold owner?

Can't tell without asking them. They can't reasonably care that you aren't the freeholder (since many people aren't, and they can't readily check), but might possibly want to be convinced you have relevant permissions.

Getting the flat below onside is obviously sensible, but legally speaking in the typical case it isn't their permission you need - the wall to which you are attaching will be common parts and it's the freeholder's permission that's relevant.

I would expect a reputable installer to ask that question and ask if you have permission from the freeholder. Lots of permutations on what happens next.

Certainly worth a check of your lease. Probably won't cover EV charge point, but certainly would expect it to mention aerials and satellite dishes. I once installed a satellite dish on the roof of a block on behalf of a neighbour - it would have been totally invisible unless you went up there - not a trivial exercise as it was through a small hatch.

An EV charge point is a lot more visible and some council types are jobs worth's. I would say a high risk of being found out. What has happened with the Sky dish if its not allowed in the lease?

Last edited:
Possibly but I suspect they won't touch it for OLEV purposes as it gets messy.. they're installing it on someone elses property not yours.

OLEV only care that you have an off-street parking space:

OLEV said:
The customer’s designated private off-street parking must be associated to
the property of the customer (i.e. the installation address). Where the link
between the off-street parking and the customer’s property is unclear, we
may require additional evidence such as the customer’s property records
(e.g. the property’s land registry) and/or evidence from the customer’s local
authority. Where the link between the customer and the property of the
customer (i.e. installation address) is unclear, we may require additional
supporting evidence (e.g. a utility bill).

In addition to being the registered keeper, leasing or having primary
access to an electric vehicle, the customer must have off-street parking
facilities suitable for chargepoint installation (a survey prior to installation
should be conducted by the installer). The installation address must have
designated private off-street parking with good access for an eligible
vehicle to be charged safely. The customer must be able to access the
designated private off-street parking space at all times. We may require
additional supporting evidence, such as the customer’s property records
(e.g. the property’s land registry ) and/or evidence from the customer’s local
authority to ascertain that the parking space is off-street, designated and
private.

So their extra evidence requirements are aimed at the situation where you have a garage round the corner (or across town) that's not obviously connected to where you live. If you live in Flat 7 and there's a parking space labelled Flat 7 then there's an obvious link.

Anyone got more than 1 chargepoint at home? The pod-point I have is Type 1. It’s still in use for our other car so I was going to buy a type 1 -> type 2 adapter for the M3.

I’m sure I read somewhere that you can get the grant for up to 2 chargers.

Would 2 chargers be able to run at the same time? Not an issue if not, but would be handy.

My understanding is that you can get a grant for a 2nd charger if you have a 2nd EV in the household. I believe you need load balancing between them if you want to use them at the same time - I think some like the Tesla charger and the Zappi support this, but haven't heard about it as much for other makes.

• Helpful
Reactions: -DB-
I donlt see why two chargers can't go at the same time so long as your household supply has high enough current and the chargers have their own dedicated lines going back to a consumer unit... just a matter of care as to what else is running while the cars are charging. Uk houses rarely have more than 100A coming into the property so say 2x32A cars (plus some overhead) and it's not the time to be cooking a 4 course meal, boiling the kettle and heating the immersion....

• Helpful
Reactions: GraemeS and -DB-
legally speaking in the typical case it isn't their permission you need - the wall to which you are attaching will be common parts and it's the freeholder's permission that's relevant.

I would expect a reputable installer to ask that question and ask if you have permission from the freeholder.

Well, sadly the "Job's worth" council has come back with:-
"Further to your email requesting permission to install a charge point for an electric vehicle at this site I am afraid that the Council is unable to accommodate this request"

They then go on to say:-

"The council is currently looking at installing these across our sites, at some point in the future"

Seems they are kicking the can down the road ...

Anyone have any wisdom concerning abrasion resistance of tethered charge cables?

At my preferred install location I am seeing a good chance that it may rub against the external corner of a brick wall on the way to the car.
You could put some type of corner protection (Clear or coloured to match brick, screwed or glued?) on the wall in the rough location of where the cable may touch? This may help in reducing the wearing of the cable on the bricks

• Helpful
Reactions: RjbT3
Anyone have any wisdom concerning abrasion resistance of tethered charge cables?

At my preferred install location I am seeing a good chance that it may rub against the external corner of a brick wall on the way to the car.

My tethered cable is like that - the chargepoint is on the inside wall of an open, brick-built porch, with the car parked hard up against the other side of the wall; the cable therefore runs round two 90-degree corners against the brickwork on the way to the car.

No material abrasion damage over 5 years of use (though I did in fact replace the whole chargepoint including cable on about the 5th anniversary of installation). This was an early chargemaster unit; the cable was showing minor signs of distortion due to twisting - like a telephone handset cable it tends to get twisted as I unplug it and hang up the cable between uses. However, it probably has several more years of life left in it.

• Informative
Reactions: ediflyer
You could put some type of corner protection (Clear or coloured to match brick, screwed or glued?) on the wall in the rough location of where the cable may touch? This may help in reducing the wearing of the cable on the bricks

was contemplating this but would need to see how cable fell there's a nearby downpipe from guttering that if moved a few inches could do the job.

Also looked at kevlar sleeve protectors, but I suspect these are a bit snaggy on rough edges:

7550 | BM Polyco Touchstone Yellow Reusable Kevlar Cut Resistant Arm Protector 14in One size | RS Components

Does anyone think the charger has been placed too high here? Feels like it could be lower with a cable tidy underneath? Less cables visible below too if lower.
2A0893CC-932F-428F-8F6B-A2CCD9EB7481.jpeg

Does anyone think the charger has been placed too high here? Feels like it could be lower with a cable tidy underneath? Less cables visible below too if lower.

Regulations require "controls and socket outlets" to be minimum 0.5m, maximum 1.5m off the ground, with a recommendation in the Code of Practice for it to be between 0.75m and 1.2m. It doesn't actually constrain tethered cables, but the Tesla unit has controls in the form of the reset button and LED strip, so should probably be within those height limits.

It looks like your unit is towards the top end of those limits. It's probably quite OK from a usability point of view, but I have to agree that it would be less obtrusive if placed lower. Also slightly curious that it's apparently got two cables feeding it.

Reactions: Roy W. and LEE3