Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used my OLEV grant for my current Zoe to install it at a rental property. Will be granny charging the Model 3, unfortunately.

(side note - I've heard rumblings that you shouldn't always just granny change, not an issue as I'm not far from a rapid CCS and a supercharger, but still - is this true?)

I used my OLEV grant for my current Zoe to install it at a rental property. Will be granny charging the Model 3, unfortunately.

My understanding is that, if you have moved home and have a new vehicle you can claim another grant. These were the only questions on my OLEV eligibility questionnaire related to previous use of the scheme:

OLEV Grant Claim - EPR-Callout.co.uk.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: ProfessorK
My understanding is that, if you have moved home and have a new vehicle you can claim another grant. These were the only questions on my OLEV eligibility questionnaire related to previous use of the scheme:

View attachment 437910

That's great to hear. Unfortunately the new property I'm in at the moment has a garage, but it's detached and further than 10m away from the box. :(

There's a double socket in the garage so will just granny charge over night and at the local Ecotricity point if more urgent - not too much of a hassle.

Reactions: dst87
That's great to hear. Unfortunately the new property I'm in at the moment has a garage, but it's detached and further than 10m away from the box. :(

There's a double socket in the garage so will just granny charge over night and at the local Ecotricity point if more urgent - not too much of a hassle.

Consider a local sparks running a line to a sub-box in garage.
i did that here for my barn mounted charger and took the opportunity to put a couple of waterproof outside 13A sockets for car cleaning and spur off the router - all on overhead cable.

It's a detached house so freehold,

Don't bank on that these days. Many home owners in modern houses are blissfully unaware they are leasehold.

Just another thought, what would be involved in installing a 32a commando?

iirc that the granny charger is 16A commando only single phase. I think the granny should also have the necessary safety features built in which is why they are so expensive?

Reactions: m3gt2
(side note - I've heard rumblings that you shouldn't always just granny change, not an issue as I'm not far from a rapid CCS and a supercharger, but still - is this true?)
Thats not one I’ve heard! The general rule with battery charging is the slower the better, as it doesn’t heat the battery as much. The only downside I can think of using the UMC all the time is that you might wear it out or damage it, and a new UMC costs more than a charger!

Consider a local sparks running a line to a sub-box in garage.
i did that here for my barn mounted charger and took the opportunity to put a couple of waterproof outside 13A sockets for car cleaning and spur off the router - all on overhead cable.

Would definitely do that if I owned the building. Doubt the landlord would reimburse given his previous behaviour and I'm not forking out to improve his property for him (other than keeping it spic-n-span!) - will have a lovely mortgage to pay soon enough, so will keep that option in mind, thanks pgkevet.

I don't think Trickle charging in itself is too bad - maybe lots of high power SuperCharging is not great assuming not 100% SoC

I've seen a table of data for this somewhere, will try and locate it, power transferred to battery on minimum charging power is questionable as there is overhead on some of the battery pre-heat / other electronics that come out of standby for the charge, it's like the car has a minimum base load whilst charging. As the charge rate gets above a low level this becomes negligible as a percentage.

Trickle (or any) charging to 100% frequently isn't great for the battery, better to charge from 60% to 80% than 80% to 100%, assuming 20% used between charges. Maybe there's some new magic in the M3 battery chemistry that makes this less of an issue. I am not sure if there is any guidance from Tesla on this, just been trawling internet for information and consensus.

I suppose for ICE comparing the school run car vs the motorway car DPF filter is easy, I assume there is some battery health indicator on the Tesla to show how much of the battery capacity survives over time. Since the M3 will be new I'll worry about this later :)

Have you checked the size of your main fuse. If you only have 60A, that may also scupper you unless you can get it upgraded. Ideally you want a 100A main fuse, but 80A may be workable depending on personal factors like heating and cooking.
This is accurate, but nevertheless worried me enough to call in an engineer from Western Power (which was free, but still time consuming). We had a 60A fuse which he swapped for an 80A just to be extra safe due to us having electric underfloor heating in 2 bathrooms (that we never use). He figured that as we had gas central heating and hot water (combi) no immersion heater, the only other significant load was oven, hob, kettle, iron, tumble dryer, washing machine. He said 60A would have been fine for a 32A EV charger in addition.

Now we have an 80A fuse for free.

He said we couldn't have a 100A without adding significant cost in the process (old property). A bridge to cross when we get a second EV I guess.

So, as a rule of thumb for a 32A / 7.2KW EV charger installation:
60A is good for most households (particularly small flats)
80A is absolutely fine in nearly all cases
100A is fantastic

Given you're offering to pay for the installation and leave it in situ when moving out, I think your landlord would be bonkers to refuse. It's adding value for him for free!
COMPLETELY AGREE. This will become a major selling point for rental properties.

My parking space/driveway is separated from my house by my neighbour’s house and their parking space. There isn’t much in terms of “walls”, but there’s a fence to the back and one side. Would I be able to install a charging point there? There aren’t any electric sockets so the wiring will have to be drawn. And the charging point may have to be a standing one rather than mounting it on a wall?

Would I be able to install a charging point there?

Check out Baldrick's spreadsheet

EVSE Options

look up the install guides for the charger - most of the installation guides say something about fixing to a solid surface of described dimensions. Suspect Wiring / Building Regs may give guidance.

Some tethered cables are fairly long so maybe reach from your house wall rather than a fence.

If you're near the M3 Fleet then maybe a drive to a nearby supercharger and save yourself the effort at home :)

The granny cable isn't efficient. On my Model S only about 75% of the energy used goes into the battery. It's more like 90% with the ROLEC charge point (32A/7.4kW). DC charging is close to 100% because it doesn't have to go through the onboard charger and undergo AC/DC conversion. However, with all the gnashing of teeth regarding batteries being compromised (largely because of frequent DC charging) I'd say you're safe with the granny cable.

• Informative
Reactions: Baldrick
This is where I see the whole pain of the DC tripping RCDs falls apart, unless someone can educate me (@arg ;) ) If it's a commando or regular 13A socket then the socket doesn't know you're plugging in an EV, so in which case there isn't always going to be a very expensive breaker. This feels like a gaping hole from the IET regulations, diligent people will jump through the hoops, I guess many electricians may not be aware, I will (have) waste hours trying to research this..

Most of the regs for EV charging (including earthing etc) apply equally to a commando socket or even a 13A socket if installed for the purpose of EV charging.

However, the bit about DC sensitive RCDs does not. IMO this was a cockup in the drafting, ignoring the fact that people will then plug granny leads into those sockets.

• Informative
Reactions: Baldrick and Roy W.
Check out Baldrick's spreadsheet

EVSE Options

look up the install guides for the charger - most of the installation guides say something about fixing to a solid surface of described dimensions. Suspect Wiring / Building Regs may give guidance.

Some tethered cables are fairly long so maybe reach from your house wall rather than a fence.

If you're near the M3 Fleet then maybe a drive to a nearby supercharger and save yourself the effort at home :)

I live really close to the Fleet services and I pass that every day almost. I read stories that it's perhaps not the healthiest for the battery to rely on superchargers? Also is the fleet one open yet I'm sure it still says "soon"

I live really close to the Fleet services and I pass that every day almost. I read stories that it's perhaps not the healthiest for the battery to rely on superchargers? Also is the fleet one open yet I'm sure it still says "soon"
You’re right here. Solely relying on superchargers is not a good idea in terms of long term battery health. There have been instances where Tesla have remotely limited the maximum SC current on particular cars because they have noticed excessive supercharging, in order to help with battery longevity. You also need to be charging the batteries up to 100% say, once a month, to balance the cells.

The best regime to keep the battery in tip-top condition would be regular charging in the 20-80% range using a home charger, and only using DC charging when on longer trips as required. In the Kona I only increase the charge limit to 100%, or go below 20% if I need to when I’m doing a long trip.

When I had the Leaf you could see in Leaf Spy how many charge sessions the car had been through. When I gave the car back after 2 years and 20k miles it had dome over 700 level 1 charges (16kW on the home charger) and about 60 rapid DC charges. From this you can see that perhaps 95% of my charging was done at home, using off-peak electricity.

Of course everybody has different personal circumstances, and you may or may not have access to home charging. At least the Tesla batteries are supposed to be quite robust, so perhaps we wont need to be quite so careful!

Reactions: MrBadger
Well I'm shocked an disappointed to say that my landlord has declined permission to install a charger so it looks like I won't be ordering a M3P unfortunately. My only other option is asking my in laws if I could fit a charger at their house but this is over a mile away and I really don't know if it would be worth the additional stress and time dropping the Tesla off to charge it every day :(