Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging restrictions coming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a properly stupid idea IMO.

Especially if you can just override it. Most people will be scheduling charging over night any way.
It's actually the opposite, it's both a simple and good idea. I expect it to be copied by other countries.

The defaults will avoid a lot of mindless EV charging:
- adding to peak demand
- causing a surge in demand at the beginning of off-peak periods

With those two simple changes they'll fix the two main potential problems.
Pricing will take care of the rest.

The article is of course sensationalizing it all with words like "fears" and "anxious".

Reactions: phil4
Makes sense to me. A large number of people getting EV's, especially as company cars etc... will have very little interest in the EV bit of it. They're the same people who'd buy a plug in hybrid and never plug it in. They're like my wife. Not a thought to when to charge, when the cheap rates are etc. Just plugs in when she's at home.

And that's only going to get worse, as mass adoption overtakes the early adopters. The people interested in getting the cheapest leccy rates etc won't. They'll just get a charger fitted as part of the bundled deal, and plug it in when they get home from work.

Doing this as overridable and a default actually makes perfect sense. Anyone who's genuinely interested won't want to charge in peak rate times, so won't be affected. Anyone who wants to override it can... the only people it'll change is those that ignore in, and then it saves overloading the generation.

On the whole I think it's a good thing.

Based on feedback, we will adopt a more nuanced approach. The Government will mandate that smart chargepoints must prompt users to input a charging schedule during first use. In addition, smart chargepoints must be pre-set to offer users a charging schedule that by default prevents EVs from charging at peak times. During first use, the user must be given the opportunity to edit or remove this setting. The user must also be able to remove or edit this default setting at a later date.

Is this why they want people to get Smart chargers and incentivise as such? So the government can exert some sort of control over when we can charge.

These stories are a misrepresentation. No, smart chargers are not a government conspiracy ... they are potentially very useful if we want to moderate the load on the grid generation and infrastructure... minimising losses, costs, CO2 production etc etc.

When I got my charge point installed in 2020 it was a condition of the EST grant that the charge point was 'smart'. Just checked and its still there in the T&Cs:

• from 1 July 2019, grant funding will only be offered for the installation of smart charge points in line with OZEV technical specifications

What is a "smart" charger?
The Government says: "This means chargepoints must be able to be remotely accessed, and capable of receiving, interpreting and reacting to a signal. Smart charging can also reduce high peaks of electricity demands, minimising the cost of electric vehicles to the electricity system – and keeping costs down for consumers by encouraging off-peak charging."

As others have said, it's the Daily Mail :)

Reactions: Nick77
The DM is a comic for the unthinking.

The green drive has already resulted in insane spot rates for electricity of over £500 per mwh and 2 coal power stations being re-started.
Why?
Not enough wind and a shortage of natural gas means coal is cheaper.

The green drive has already resulted in insane spot rates for electricity of over £500 per mwh and 2 coal power stations being re-started.
Why?
I think a big issue is that petty, small-minded people keep objecting to wind farms being built on hills in open areas because it "ruins" their view of the countryside. Personally, I think wind farms look great and are the future. And solar farms too...
These people should be given the option of having a wind/solar farm built in there neighbourhood or a nuclear power station. Then see how many will object to wind/solar power...

The biggest problem we all have is with the DNOs and their out of date kit. They simply do not allow sensible levels of solar export. Mine is limited to 3.4 export when I have a 9kw array. I have a powerwall 2 under the TEP which enables Tesla to override the DNO limit and export 5.0 to the grid from 4pm every day. During that period unless I use lots of power my solar turns off as it is unable to export any surplus. Crazy! There is no other solar in our street.

Why?
Coal is still part of the planned energy mix, but it's turned off when other sources are available.

Burning coal when the other sources are low isn't a sign of anything wrong, it's exactly the plan. As is not burning it when they're plentiful. That's why it's called a transition to green energy: during the transition we use both the new and the old. In another ten years' time the transition may be complete.

Reactions: pow216 and Adopado
Seems it is Mr Grant Shapps policy...
Not quite as draconian as the DM's but, but they were on the nail.

So, It is very simple, buy any car you like. If it is an EV we will restrict when you can charge at home. If it is an ICE we will restrict fuel availability. They will then meet their COP 26 targets by keeping everyone at home, as it was during lockdown. That is why they are upgrading broadband and mobile phone services as much as possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpareHeadOne
Seems it is Mr Grant Shapps policy...
Not quite as draconian as the DM's but, but they were on the nail.

So, It is very simple, buy any car you like. If it is an EV we will restrict when you can charge at home. If it is an ICE we will restrict fuel availability. They will then meet their COP 26 targets by keeping everyone at home, as it was during lockdown. That is why they are upgrading broadband and mobile phone services as much as possible.

Looks more like a BS article that completely misrepresents the plan as stated right now.

I don't think there's even a draft to look at yet, but the proposed plan is to mandate that all new build homes have chargers, that all chargers will have to be "smart" and that the default charge times should be off peak.

"Smart" seems to mean "has a time switch" and nothing else you might consider to be a smart feature such as variable power delivery or remote access. You will be allowed to change the time, it's just the factory default settings that would see chargers set to overnight.

I also expect to find chargers fitted in a cupboard inside new build houses, because builders will do the minimum they need to meet the letter of the law.

Obviously when the draft is published I may be proved wrong, but that article is speculative nonsense at the moment. It's much the same sort of thing as the "mandatory speed limiters in the EU from 2022" articles that seem to be popping up again now; it's lazy sensationalism.

Can't see how they are gona control my Tesla Wall Charger, unless they are gonna turn off my smart meter...
One of the main reasons I went with the TWC was I did not want a "smart" charger with any connectivity. Whilst I don't foresee the powers that be taking control of charging functionality anytime soon, I do wonder if or when the loss of the fuel duty revenue will lead to a surcharge on electricity used to charge BEVs. I don't need to make it easier on determining how much energy is used for charging my car.

Reactions: Jeeves