Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging setup question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a1600 sq foot condo in San Diego and installed a 14-50 plug for charging. The condo has 100 amp service. I found that I could charge the car run the air conditioning, lights and tv without issue. Washer and dryer was ok also! I had to schedule the charging to not conflict with the electric cooking.
Then I might be OK. I have gas dryer and stove, so even less draw than you have on yours.

Sweet. thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I can't use this as an excuse to not buy the house. LOL

I, like you, do have a Supercharger fairly close, so if I needed faster charging than overnight, I can easily go do that.

My family all lives within 25 miles.

Her family is spread out, but half of them are within one full battery of a base (215 miles) Model 3. And I'm within a half hour of a Supercharger in any direction, and likely closer than that, depending on where they add another Boston-area Store (w/accompanying Supercharger).

the 2017 map looks promising, there's a dot almost on top of my town.

I've been lurking on here for a while...I think I'll be ok with the charging/"filling up at home" mentality.....it will be the one-foot driving that will take a few hundred miles to set in.

it will be the one-foot driving that will take a few hundred miles to set in.
That can be interesting. From a gas car, the habit is to pop your foot off the gas pedal even if you just want to slow down 10 or 15 mph. When I did my test drive, I did that, and it threw me forward, and I said I didn't like that, so the Tesla guy turned it down to low. Once, I got the car, you get used to the awesomeness of just being able to shift your foot a little up or a little down and be at whatever speed you want all the time. It's beautiful.

It didn't take me a few hundred miles to get changed. I had been driving it for about a week, and I needed to drive our Honda Civic Hybrid. The one pedal driving had so gotten into my mind that as I pulled my foot back, my reaction as it didn't slow much was, "WHOA, IT'S A RUNAWAY TRAIN!!" I do end up driving a non-Tesla now about once or twice a week, and it just becomes part of remembering the aspects of how shifter and wiper controls and such are a little different.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Just to chime in on my HPWC. I drive about 40 miles a day and have never needed to use my full 80 amp possible load on my HPWC ( I really thought I would need it) I have it dialed back to 40 amps and it charges every night from 2am to about 4am back to 90%. There are more losses at higher amps and I'd rather just charge at the optimum (~30m/hour) I have yet to empty the batttery in a day, come home and need to quick charge it to get to another destination. The cost to install larger wiring to accommodate 80 amps was small (I had a 200amp sub-panel in my garage), but if I had to upgrade my panel to get 80amps, I would not do it with the knowledge I have now, would be a total waste of money.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned is how much AC power can the model 3 accept? Short answer, we don't know. It hasn't been announced yet.

The current Model S comes standard with only a 48A on-board charger (There is an option for 72A, but it's not standard).
With that, even if you have a 100A circuit, you can still only charge at 48A.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Model 3 is similar or even a bit more restricted. Perhaps only a 40A on-board, in which case, the 50A circuit will still top out the vehicles capabilities.

i certainly wouldn't go through the expense of upgrading your home's main panel until you know for certain that your existing infrastructure won't work for you.

With the latest software release V8.0(17.5.28) today...

Did the change the Charging Software - I have the High Amperage Charger Upgrade.. I noticed an improved MPH charging rate.. I at home I have a 100Amp circuit with the 72 Amp Charger..

Before the upgrade I was charging at a rate of 35 MPH - I remembered calculating that charge rate was about 1/2 an amp per hour... Today after the upgrade today, I am charging at a 54 MHS or about 3/4 an amp per hour... A 50% improvement.

Both before and after, same voltage being reported 226V and 72/72 Amps...

Has anyone experienced it?

Before the upgrade I was charging at a rate of 35 MPH - I remembered calculating that charge rate was about 1/2 an amp per hour... Today after the upgrade today, I am charging at a 54 MHS or about 3/4 an amp per hour... A 50% improvement.

You are almost certainly being misled by the fact that the MPH figure is an average over the whole charge.

55MPH is about right for 72A 230V, and probably this is what you've been getting all along. The current does take a few seconds to ramp up from zero to 72A, so at the very beginning the average is held down by this ramp-up time when the charging was slower. After a few minutes, the ramp-up is only a tiny fraction of the whole and the average number is the same as an instantaneous value.

Another factor that can make the ramp-up much longer is low temperature: if the battery is very cold, the battery heater will run and charging will be slow (or even not at all in extreme cold). So in this case there could be quite some minutes of slow charging before it gets going at full speed (though it will be showing something smaller than 72/72A while that's going on) - if you then take a look at it just after it has got up to full blast, the average will much less than the current speed, and while it's now charging at fairly constant speed the average will take a long time to catch up.

The average is even more confusing at the end of the charge (especially at Superchargers) - as the speed tapers off above 90%, and particularly when at 99% it's hardly charging at all, the average will still be dominated by what was going on in the middle of the charge. This can lead to you wasting time sitting there thinking "another 5 mins will give me another 10 miles, so it's worth waiting!" when in fact it gives you almost nothing. Looking at the amps figure gives you a much closer idea of what is going on at any moment.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
I love the convenience and look of the HPWC, but I'm having to make do with a wall outlet right now while staying with my Mom while she deals with some health issues - it's surprising how sufficient even 12 amps is when you drive less than 50 miles a day.

I'd get the HPWC and use a smaller breaker to avoid overloading your service. Unless you find a discount electrician, increasing your service amperage can be super expensive when most guys charge $100 an hour.

I'm awaiting my Model 3, and thought my charging situation was all set. (townhouse, 1 car garage, 200A service...I was just going to put in a 50A breaker to charge my Model 3 at 40A load....)

So now my charging situation will be: house with 100A service, no garage, gas appliances (which will reduce the load on the 100A box....)

I'm leaning towards the HPWC, since it will only be "live" once it's in the car and at it's set time....best to not have a live wire hanging off the side of the house.....but can I get away with a 50A breaker, and charge at 40A overnight when load is lowest? Or should I spring for 200A upgrade and put in an 80A breaker for the HPWC?

I am in the same boat as you. I am currently in a home with 100 amp service and i plan to run a 60 amp breaker to my Model 3 to use the maximum 48 amp charge rate. The only precaution i am taking is using Wire capable of 100 amps so i have the option to upgrade later. You mention you have Gas appliances so your in an even better situation than me.

The reasons I am confident 100 amp service is more than enough:

1) You can charge a 90 kWh battery (and most Model 3's will be smaller) with 240v @ 48A from 0-100% in around 8-9 hours. So even if you get home at 9 pm, your car is fully charged by 6 am. Plus unless you like living dangerously 99.99% of the time you will have more than 0% left on the battery.

2) I have used a home energy monitoring system for a couple of years now and even when the A/C, Oven, and Clothes Dryer are running (all are electric) we never get above 8 KW average load. Since i have 24 KW to play with (100A @ 240v) I have about 5KW to spare in case their is a peak i am not seeing.

3) The High voltage items above are running most often during the day or early evening and for the most part people charge their cars at night to take advantage of cheaper rates.

4) Within the car i have complete control of the charge rate. So If the house is full of guests and everything is lit up i can just turn down the charge rate for as long as i need to.

I say don't change a thing.

• Helpful
Reactions: ModelNforNerd
I am in the same boat as you. I am currently in a home with 100 amp service and i plan to run a 60 amp breaker to my Model 3 to use the maximum 48 amp charge rate. The only precaution i am taking is using Wire capable of 100 amps so i have the option to upgrade later. You mention you have Gas appliances so your in an even better situation than me.

1) You can charge a 90 kWh battery (and most Model 3's will be smaller) with 240v @ 48A from 0-100% in around 8-9 hours. So even if you get home at 9 pm, your car is fully charged by 6 am. Plus unless you like living dangerously 99.99% of the time you will have more than 0% left on the battery.

2) I have used a home energy monitoring system for a couple of years now and even when the A/C, Oven, and Clothes Dryer are running (all are electric) we never get above 8 KW average load. Since i have 24 KW to play with (100A @ 240v) I have about 5KW to spare in case their is a peak i am not seeing.

3) The High voltage items above are running most often during the day or early evening and for the most part people charge their cars at night to take advantage of cheaper rates.

4) Within the car i have complete control of the charge rate. So If the house is full of guests and everything is lit up i can just turn down the charge rate for as long as i need to.

Awesome. we haven't moved in yet...we expect to in March some time. The current owner is rehabbing the entire place. I just found out today, he's installed a gas on-demand/tankless hot water heater, so even less load on my electrical service.

And now considering we're going to be within walking distance of the commuter rail, it will be even more rare that I will need to charge to >75%.

Sounds like I should be perfectly fine with a 50A breaker and setting the HPWC and car to draw at 40A.

Regardless of your monitoring that states how much you are using, the National Electric Code has its own way to determine how much more load you can add to an existing electrical service. You really need an electrician to go through the load calcs for your house to see what is allowed. Unfortunately, doing things like using screw-in LED bulbs throughout your house cannot reduce the lighting loads in the calculations.

With the latest software release V8.0(17.5.28) today...

Did the change the Charging Software - I have the High Amperage Charger Upgrade.. I noticed an improved MPH charging rate.. I at home I have a 100Amp circuit with the 72 Amp Charger..

I'm seeing a lower charge rate since my last 2 updates. I have dual chargers 100 amp service going to my HPWC and used to see around 60mph but now see 44 mph. Both show 72A. Has anyone else seen a different charge rate after last couple updates?