Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging speed problems - EO Mini Pro

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Im having problems with the charging speed of my EO Mini Pro at home.

I picked up my M3 on Friday and have charged it each night since. Friday night it started charging at 7A max and said it would take 23hrs to get to 80%. After a while that went up to 32A and charged at approx 30mi/hr. I thought it might have started slowly because it was so cold so didn't think much of it.

Last night it only added about 50 miles of charge. I thought this might be because I set up the schedule wrong.

Tonight I've started the charge at it's again at 7A and 7mi/hr (20hrs to get up to 80%). When I sit in the car it wont let me increase the amps to more than 7, saying 7A is max. I'm sure it was on 32A on the first night.

I've reconnected the cable 2 or 3 times, it's definitely seated correctly. I've started/stopped the charging each time and nothing seems to help.

Has anyone got any ideas of what might be causing it?

thanks in advance

If the car is reporting the advertised current (the second figure) as 7 A, then the charge point is being throttled back somehow. This is the second report in the last couple of days of this happening with smart charge points, so I'm beginning to wonder if load management may be being played with by the suppliers/DNOs (most likely the former, perhaps).

The whole point of smart charge points is to allow suppliers/DNOs to use them for demand management, and although we've not seen any indication of this being used before, I wonder if it's now being used, or perhaps experimented with, now the weather is turning colder.

The car onboard charger (OBC) will not draw more current than that advertised as being available from the charge point, so it's worth checking careful to ensure that it's the advertised charge current that is limiting charge (the second figure in the car) or the first figure (the actual current being drawn by the car OBC).

Thanks for the reply.

How did you increase it to 32a if the car is locked?

I've just unplugged the charger, got in the car and looked at the charging screen. It lets me increase to 16a and says 16a is the maximum.

As soon as I plug the charger in and start charging it drops do 7a and says that is the maximum.

I've spent all evening trying to figure it out and have got nowhere :-(

It seems to me it's the car restricting things rather than the charger?

I want clear. Mine started out at 7a/32a and I increased it to 32a. However, the rate of charge did not change at all and it thought it would take 10 hours. As soon as I got out of the car it started speeding up.

I’ll have a gander again tomorrow and see if I can reproduce what was happening.

I want clear. Mine started out at 7a/32a and I increased it to 32a. However, the rate of charge did not change at all and it thought it would take 10 hours. As soon as I got out of the car it started speeding up.

I’ll have a gander again tomorrow and see if I can reproduce what was happening.

If it was showing 7A / 32A, then the charge point was advertising 32 A, and the car OBC was doing the throttling for some reason.

It would help if we knew what the charge point is advertising, i.e. the second figure, as that is a very clear indicator as to the cause of the throttling.

Mine is 7a/7a when plugged into the charger.
Does that sound like the charger is only allowing 7a rather than the car slowing things down?
When I unplugged the charger I could change the car to 16a (not 32a for some reason)
It dropped straight back down to 7a/7a when the car was plugged in

Try “rebooting” the charger by going inside the house and turning the breaker off and back on again (leave it off for 20 seconds). My first time connecting to my Rolec was producing no results. Rebooted the Rolec and it’s been working fine since. Also disable any smart settings the app offers. You want a dumb charger. The M3 doesn’t support any smart charger features yet (supposedly coming in an update next year).

Hi I have an EO mini Pro and the first time I used it I had to increase charge in car.
Have you downloaded the JUICENET app (Enel X) on PC to check that your Mini Pro is setup correctly this will help you watch your charge and give you the history of the charges you have done.
Also the EV Juicenet app on Iphone or android also from Enel X .
To set these up use the Eo Mini Pro Installation guide

Attachments

• EO Mini Pro - Installation Guide.pdf
    982.7 KB · Views: 114
Mine is 7a/7a when plugged into the charger.
Does that sound like the charger is only allowing 7a rather than the car slowing things down?
When I unplugged the charger I could change the car to 16a (not 32a for some reason)
It dropped straight back down to 7a/7a when the car was plugged in

In that case it is your charge point that is causing the problem, by only advertising to the car that 7 A is available. This could be either a set up problem with the charge point, or the supplier/DNO telling it to reduce the charge current (the latter seems unlikely, as although possible, I don't believe suppliers/DNOs have yet implemented this).

Thanks for all the replies..... a bit of an update this morning.

I got so fed up with it last night I turned off charging and left it to come on when scheduled at 12.30 - 04.30.

Woke up this morning, checked the app and it had charged to 80% between the scheduled time adding 119 miles in 4 hours (30mi/hr pretty much).
This leads me to believe it must have been charging at 32a? Unfortunately I've got no way of checking this.

I have got the EV Juicenet app which shows the time it had been charging although it doesn't show the power it had charged at (I don't think).

I did wonder if the EV app and the car had been in conflict with each other which might be causing the problems?

Should I didtch the app and just use the car for scheduling? Would Tesafi be a better option?

Here's a picture of the screen just not, quite clearly says 16a max. I think I'll speak to the installers to check they'd set the thing up properly.

Any other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_8603 L.jpg
    IMG_8603 L.jpg
    991 KB · Views: 103
You really need to put something like TeslaFi on the case - that will record what the car is doing whilst charging.

If DNO are curtailing the power, last I heard it will only be for short durations, around 15 minutes at a time, then back to normal for you, whilst someone else gets curtailed. TeslaF would show this as it records by default, at 1 minute intervals.

Could this be related to the wakeup problem recently discussed elsewhere that Tesla have acknowledged and should fix at some point.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies..... a bit of an update this morning.

I got so fed up with it last night I turned off charging and left it to come on when scheduled at 12.30 - 04.30.

Woke up this morning, checked the app and it had charged to 80% between the scheduled time adding 119 miles in 4 hours (30mi/hr pretty much).
This leads me to believe it must have been charging at 32a? Unfortunately I've got no way of checking this.

I have got the EV Juicenet app which shows the time it had been charging although it doesn't show the power it had charged at (I don't think).

I did wonder if the EV app and the car had been in conflict with each other which might be causing the problems?

Should I didtch the app and just use the car for scheduling? Would Tesafi be a better option?

Here's a picture of the screen just not, quite clearly says 16a max. I think I'll speak to the installers to check they'd set the thing up properly.

Any other ideas?

The PC app (not phone) that links to the EO mini Pro will clearly show the kW and the KW/h used for every charge under the history tab this will clear up what speed you were charging at. (Also helps keep tabs on total energy usage)

EDIT: Tell a lie the phone App (Juicenet app) if you scroll right on main screen it will also show the history and rate of charge.

When you say you had scheduled 00:30 to 04:30, do you mean on the EO Mini Pro side? The car can only schedule a start time or a stop time, not both. If you're doing it from the EO side, my understanding is that if the car is asleep at 00:30 then the EO starting to give it juice won't wake the car up and therefore it won't start charging.

This stuff makes me very glad that my main charge point has a built-in time switch, that's not connected to any sort of smart system. I can flick a switch on the front to select whether I want to charge immediately, stop any charge, or charge only during the off-peak time. I can leave the car set on charge immediately and let the charge point do all the switching on and off, under direct control (as in physical contacts have to close to make anything happen).

The new charge point that I'll be fitting soon has more options, as I've included three selectable charge currents, as well as the same timer system I have in the unit I use most of the time. The main reason for this is to be able to just switch to a low charge rate if it's a sunny day, as I found that the previous system I had for varying the charge rate depending on the amount of PV generation was unnecessarily complex in practice. That worked by setting the charge rate to a value from 6 A (the minimum allowable in the spec) upwards, for as long as the cost of charging during the day was lower than the cost of off-peak charging. In practice, it spent most of its time charging at ~7 to 8 A, so it seemed pointless to have more stuff to potentially go wrong, hence the reversion to a low (7.5 A) charge switch.

Thanks again. I've just looked on the EV Juicenet site, here's the details from last night:

This was it warming up this morning when I put the heating on
13/3/2019 7:48:13 AM 12/3/2019 7:53:37 AM 00:05:24 0.149kw

This was the scheduled charge (start time of 12.30 via the car)
12/3/2019 12:30:01 AM - 4:17:21 AM 03:47:20hrs 30.428kw

This was me messing about turning things on and off last night
12/2/2019 10:23:15 PM - 11:02:33 PM 00:39:18 1.158kw
12/2/2019 10:04:35 PM - 10:12:12 PM 00:07:37 0.22kw
12/2/2019 8:28:38 PM - 10:04:31 PM 01:35:53 2.835kw
12/2/2019 8:07:09 PM - 8:26:06 PM 00:18:57 0.548kw
12/2/2019 7:25:29 PM - 8:07:05 PM 00:41:36 1.217kw
12/2/2019 7 7:23:08 PM - 7:25:13 PM 00:02:05 0.055kw

Total of approx 1hr charging and 6.033kw

This shows (I think) it charging at 6kw during tests and 8.1kw per hour during scheduled charge which gave 119 miles. Is that correct, sound about right?