Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home charging versus supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is offering existing Model S inventory with free supercharging. If I purchase a Model S with free supercharging capability do I need to purchase a home charging kit? Or can I just go to the supercharger station for charging?

...do I need to purchase a home charging kit?...

Universal Mobile Connector should be included in your car and the minimum adapter that it should include is for 120V charging.

Technically, you don't need home charging if you have the discipline to Supercharge.

Still, there are some considerations:

1) Home is more convenient and cheap as stated by others above.

2) Elon Musk complained about Supercharging by the locals in 2015. Legally, when you bought a buffet meal, it's all you can eat but since the complaint of 2015, there have been an "us" and "them" mentality to strike a friendly conversion and spy on whether you are a local or not!

3) Tesla does throttle your Supercharger rate down if you have reached an unknown numbers of fast DC charging (including CHAdeMO, CCS, Supercharger...)

4) There have been studies published on whether Supercharging is bad for your battery longevity. If it is good then why Tesla throttle your Supercharger rate?

Reactions: BrokerDon
Supercharging your car all the time is a lousy experience. Plugging in at night is a liberating experience.

No more trips anywhere to fill up. You have a full tank every morning.

Supercharging is great for travelling, lousy for everyday use.

I'm 5 miles from the Buford Supercharger. That's probably the last Supercharger I would ever go to. Superchargers that are 100+ miles away are the ones that I care about.

3) Tesla does throttle your Supercharger rate down if you have reached an unknown numbers of fast DC charging (including CHAdeMO, CCS, Supercharger...)
(a) throttling is minimal and only adds a few minutes to a charge session, and (b) it only impacts 90kWh packs. See the real discussion here (all 106 pages), instead of Electrek's click-baity "summary" (appropriation?) of TMC's content...

But to answering the original question - 10 secs morning and night to plug in/unplug and waking up with a full tank is way better than hanging out at the supercharger for 45 min or so every few days. I did that (and also used a public L2 chargepoint overnight) for the first month or two when I got my S. Adding home charging made it so much easier.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrokerDon
For Supercharging, Tesla has suffered from their minimalist philosophy of specifying terms and conditions for purchase and use of the vehicles.

Originally supercharging was marketed as free unlimited long distance charging on the supercharger network. But they never included any T&C's with vehicle purchase or when vehicles were connected to the superchargers. Over time, this evolved into FUSC (Free Unlimited Supercharging), which included not only the originally intended long distance charging, but also support for urban charging for those owners who live somewhere without access to overnight charging.

If you have a FUSC vehicle, while technically you could do all of your charging at a supercharger, you'll find that experience to consume considerably more time than periodically refueling an ICE. Urban superchargers tend to be busier and more likely to have waits for charging (especially as the number of Model 3's explodes). You'll spend the time to drive to the supercharger, plus the charging time and the wait - which could mean spending an hour or two after every 200 miles of driving...

Home charging is much better because you recharge overnight - and don't have to spend time going to a charger.

You'll need power for your home charging. This is usually a 14-30 (30A) or 14-50 (50A) outlet, which should provided enough power to recharge overnight. You can use the UMC that comes with the car (you may need to purchase an adapter for the specific outlet), if you plan to keep the UMC plugged in most of the time (since you should try to avoid plugging/unplugging the 14-30/14-50 outlet frequently).

Tesla sells a CMC (Corded Mobile Connector) with a 14-50 plug for a 50A outlet, which you can keep plugged in all of the time at home, and carry the UMC with you for emergencies.

Or you can purchase a Wall Connector (used to be called High Power Wall Connector) which is permanently mounted and can be directly connected to power. If you can get a 60A circuit, that provides enough power (48A) for maximum charging for most new Tesla vehicles.

I would second charging at home. Even at 14-30 is sufficient. I live about 5min from an SC and I would go there maybe once every two-three weeks or so to top up as I head to the government liquor store (LCBO). Save $2 in electricity but end up buying $30 worth of wine each time. 97% of my charges are at home or work.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Install a 14.50. It's cheap and easy. Took me a hour.
This is page out of manual.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: dhrivnak
Tesla is offering existing Model S inventory with free supercharging. If I purchase a Model S with free supercharging capability do I need to purchase a home charging kit? Or can I just go to the supercharger station for charging?
Home charging is so easy and convenient I can’t imagine having an EV without it. Forget the cost if you figure your time is worth even $5/hour I would home charge.

Superchargers that are 100+ miles away are the ones that I care about.

So true. Escanaba, MI and Casper, WY are ones I want so bad, but will only use once or twice a year. Hundreds to thousands of miles away.

Local superchargers. I am just glad it helps others travel to us and spread the viability of Tesla's brand and its workings. Sitting at one daily or couple days a week. No thanks. Feel for those without other home charging options.

@Gigi63 you never came back to read all this good advice. How did it turn out for you, did you buy the inventory car?

With any car delivered by Tesla, you don't need to purchase anything else and you will be able to charge at home and also charge at a supercharger. And they also include an adapter to charge at many other non-Tesla level 2 chargers... So the choice is always yours, whatever is most convenient for you.

I installed a NEMA 14-50 receptacle in my garage and use the Tesla UMC with included adapter to get 29 miles per hour while sleeping. Sorry, you must now buy the adapter for $35 from Tesla. If you want 20% faster charging, go for the slick $500 HPWC .

As others mentioned, the convenience of home charging is fabulous. When already near a SuC, I'll charge only to 90%, then lose a little getting home. Typical SuC time is 1-2 hours and you'll probably spend that time eating too much or buying things not needed.

Let us know your decision and rationale.

Reactions: RScottyL

You can use the Superchargers only on trips or if you need it! If you use them too much, it will degrade your battery faster!

I would primarily charge from home either with Level 1 charging or actually, Level 2 would be the better choice!