Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Home podpoint and off peak scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Apologies if this is a repeat post, I did so a search but couldn't find quite the right issue.

I've got a home podpoint installed (regretting not going for the Tesla charger but too late now!).

For the last month or so the podpoint has been configured incorrectly and only delivering 9A. And during that time the off peak schedule (off peak end time) worked as I would expect, calculating approximately what time the off peak tariff (I'm on bulb ev tarriff) would end, and starting the charge such that the charge limit is reached maximising off peak usage.

Yesterday podpoint finally gor the charger working at 30A/ 7kw. However this has broken off peak scheduling. My theory is that the way the podpoint delivers charge is it 'ramps up' from low amps to high when charge is drawn (I think something to do with the cable clamp checking the overall load) and that Tesla when it does it's check to calculating the start time is reading the low load (either reading it at idle or when it initially engages) and therefore is starting charging way too early.

Does anyone know if this is the case? Or does the car just need to 'learn' that the location has a faster charge rate now which it will do over time?

Things I've considered

Podpoint scheduling - I can turn the podpoint app to only schedule off peak. This is a bit of a pain if I want to do a top up charge or draw from the wall when preconditioning (mainly because the podpoint app is poor)

Schedule start time. I can schedule the charge to start when off peak starts. However this isn't quite as elegant as it won't enable me to easily add extra charge at peak rates if I need it the next day (by starting earlier)

Can’t help with what exactly the issue is, but coincidentally, I have a podpoint and issues with only a 16A draw sometimes lately.

Tesla have done their diagnostics and say everything is fine. They did note a surge in the last 10 days but are unsure if related. Also had same behaviour at a Tesco 7kw free podpoint charger and so assumed the car was at fault.

The behaviour on mine is that it starts at 30A then sometimes drops to 16… haven’t contacted podpoint yet as the last time worked okay and hoping it is a temporary ghost in the system.

Hi guys, got a MY coming next week, I’ve a Podpoint solo 3 fitted at home, I’ve already set up the Podpoint app to charge at off peak rates. Do I need to do anything on the Tesla app? I’ve read about the car going to sleep and not being charged, anything to worry about ?
Thanks.

Hi guys, got a MY coming next week, I’ve a Podpoint solo 3 fitted at home, I’ve already set up the Podpoint app to charge at off peak rates. Do I need to do anything on the Tesla app? I’ve read about the car going to sleep and not being charged, anything to worry about ?
Thanks.
No, just set the podpoint to your off peak tariff time and the car will only charge in that period. No need to set anything in the car.

If you pre condition outside of those hours it’ll use available battery. If that’s an issue for you just extend the charge time to when you’re leaving and pay the extra.

Reactions: Gadgetman67
No, just set the podpoint to your off peak tariff time and the car will only charge in that period. No need to set anything in the car.
I've had my M3P for over two years, and sadly my car has NEVER woken up and charged on its own when the PodPoint charger kicks in at 00:30 on a schedule.

Tesla have acknowledged the issue and said a few times that it will be resolved in newer software releases, but that has never happened. The charger behaves as expected for my wife's Peugeot!

However, the only way I have made charging reliable is to have the PodPoint set on a schedule to match the cheap rate, AND have the Tesla set to start charging at 00:30 via the in car set up - that has worked 100%.

If you pre condition outside of those hours it’ll use available battery. If that’s an issue for you just extend the charge time to when you’re leaving and pay the extra.
Thanks Lord Farquuad, what you suggest is exactly how I want to use the Pod point with the car. Good heads up re the pre conditioning thanks. Just to confirm, this issue I've read about the car going into sleep mode thus not charging overnight doesn’t happen in your case. I’m a bit worried about this.

Thanks

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I've had my M3P for over two years, and sadly my car has NEVER woken up and charged on its own when the PodPoint charger kicks in at 00:30 on a schedule.

Tesla have acknowledged the issue and said a few times that it will be resolved in newer software releases, but that has never happened. The charger behaves as expected for my wife's Peugeot!

However, the only way I have made charging reliable is to have the PodPoint set on a schedule to match the cheap rate, AND have the Tesla set to start charging at 00:30 via the in car set up - that has worked 100%.
Thanks so much Spooksman, this is what I thought would likely happen with my MY. I have read your posts before.

So to summarise and not hopefully over complicate. Octopus can not get my smart meters communicating (they have changed the meters and comms units twice) I’ve got to say I’m well impressed with Octopus though. They now have a work around. They have fitted a preconfigured 5 port meter (basically an economy 7 meter) I get a day rate and 7.5p Kw/h night rate from 00.30 to 5:30. So not quite as good as intelligent but better the Go.

So If I set my pod point to change each night from 00:30 -5:30 and the car to charge from 00:30 to say 90% all should work. Obviously if I need to pre-condition or charge outside the low rate hours, I just turn the pod point into dumb mode.

I really appricate your advice Thanks

Thanks Lord Farquuad, what you suggest is exactly how I want to use the Pod point with the car. Good heads up re the pre conditioning thanks. Just to confirm, this issue I've read about the car going into sleep mode thus not charging overnight doesn’t happen in your case. I’m a bit worried about this.

Thanks
Correct, my car doesn’t “sleep and fail to charge”.

Thanks so much Spooksman, this is what I thought would likely happen with my MY. I have read your posts before.

So to summarise and not hopefully over complicate. Octopus can not get my smart meters communicating (they have changed the meters and comms units twice) I’ve got to say I’m well impressed with Octopus though. They now have a work around. They have fitted a preconfigured 5 port meter (basically an economy 7 meter) I get a day rate and 7.5p Kw/h night rate from 00.30 to 5:30. So not quite as good as intelligent but better the Go.

So If I set my pod point to change each night from 00:30 -5:30 and the car to charge from 00:30 to say 90% all should work. Obviously if I need to pre-condition or charge outside the low rate hours, I just turn the pod point into dumb mode.

I really appricate your advice Thanks
That's about the size of it - obviously the car stops charging if it isn't 'full' and the cheap rate ends. As far as I can see there is no particular downside to this way of working - kind of belt and braces.

To be clear, it's only an issue when the car is in 'deep sleep' - if I've been out to the car, or checked on the app an hour or so before start time, it works. But I normally park up about 6pm, so if I don't touch the car, then the charge doesn't happen.

Whether related or not, sentry mode is NOT enabled at home...

Thanks, I'm planning to charge in the way you are (hours) and leave sentry mode off while at home . I'll try it using just the PodPoint app as suggested by Lord Farquad. If it fails I’ll switch to your method.

Thanks for all the advice, both.
Not much to add other than a further data point. I have sentry off at home, car sits on drive asleep a lot. Have used the Podpoint scheduled charge from 00:30-04:30 for over a year now. Hasn't failed once. Charge usually starts a few minutes after the off peak period begins.

If I need a top up during the day I just toggle off the schedule for that day and toggle back on again once complete.

Not much to add other than a further data point. I have sentry off at home, car sits on drive asleep a lot. Have used the Podpoint scheduled charge from 00:30-04:30 for over a year now. Hasn't failed once. Charge usually starts a few minutes after the off peak period begins.

If I need a top up during the day I just toggle off the schedule for that day and toggle back on again once complete
Good to know, thanks. I get the feeling my MY will be OK and work in this way. 🤞🤞🤞