Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homecharger Going on wall - Garo or Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my ‘site survey’ and cost for complete installation is around £1K (no electrician mates to install for me) with the package for the Tesla one £250 more expensive overall. Both will charge at 27 mph and both can be programmed so family members can charge non Tesla cars when visiting. Any recommendations/comments? I need to make a quick decision! TIA

Have had my ‘site survey’ and cost for complete installation is around £1K (no electrician mates to install for me) with the package for the Tesla one £250 more expensive overall. Both will charge at 27 mph and both can be programmed so family members can charge non Tesla cars when visiting. Any recommendations/comments? I need to make a quick decision! TIA
Remember there is a £500 government grant.
Personal preference but the Tesla charger has the button so don't need to unlock the charge port which can be a bit of a pain. Downside is that it's not smart though but you can set the charge times from the car.

Reactions: freekie
Remember there is a £500 government grant.
Personal preference but the Tesla charger has the button so don't need to unlock the charge port which can be a bit of a pain. Downside is that it's not smart though but you can set the charge times from the car.

Same here - just preferred keeping it all under the same brand and have the convience of the charge port door button. I had a sparky friend install mine for some beers so outlay was £400 odd quid for the wall charger only.

Another option is to buy another UMC cable from Tesla for £295 + commando connector adapter £40 and get a commando connectio installed for about £100.
Seems much cheaper, you will have a spare UMC cable and get the full charging rate.

I would expect £450-ish for Tesla charger. If getting an OLEV approved charger than I would expect the charger to cost £550+ and the grant to be £500, thus the charger to "cost" £50 ... rather than to be free. That seems to be either profiteering, or something for dealing with the Red Tape. Either way its £400 cheaper than Tesla / non-OLEV charger.

More expensive OELV-approved chargers are available, some with fancy capabilities - e.g. divert excess Solar PV into the car, or more aesthetically pleasing on a Front Wall - e.g. retractable cable.

Basic installation (wall charger location is within a short-ish distance of Distribution Board, or similar "straightforward" install) I would expect to be £500. Might get it cheaper, but should only be significantly more expensive if long wiring run, dig up the drive, have to run new, fatter, cable to garage and also fit a new sub-board in Garage etc.

So straightforward via OLEV around £50 for charger + £500 for install

£1,000 for OLEV charger and install, unless the install is complicated for some reason, looks expensive to me.

I would expect £450-ish for Tesla charger. If getting an OLEV approved charger than I would expect the charger to cost £550+ and the grant to be £500, thus the charger to "cost" £50 ... rather than to be free. That seems to be either profiteering, or something for dealing with the Red Tape. Either way its £400 cheaper than Tesla / non-OLEV charger.

More expensive OELV-approved chargers are available, some with fancy capabilities - e.g. divert excess Solar PV into the car, or more aesthetically pleasing on a Front Wall - e.g. retractable cable.

Basic installation (wall charger location is within a short-ish distance of Distribution Board, or similar "straightforward" install) I would expect to be £500. Might get it cheaper, but should only be significantly more expensive if long wiring run, dig up the drive, have to run new, fatter, cable to garage and also fit a new sub-board in Garage etc.

£1,000 for OLEV charger and install, unless the install is complicated for some reason, looks expensive to me.
Haven't seen one for £50, cheapest I could find so far was about £300 fitted after the grant.

Last edited:
ChargedEV advertise solar tracking, but say that it is 'coming November'. Has anyone got any information out of them about how they implement this, and if it costs extra? In my case, I could only use solar at the weekends, and think the available value to me is fairly constrained.

I have a breakdown of the two quotes and so I don’t think profiteering but fare rates for London. Charger + the extra box (RCD?) in the house then rate per metre of cabling going through house under floors and through garage to furthest away outside wall. I could save a little by putting it on a wall closer to fuse box but wouldn’t change it much. I’ll recheck that piece though. Thanks everyone- think I’m going to go for Tesla. If finance permits I’d probably like my future car to be a Model Y so think I’m in for the long haul!

Another option is to buy another UMC cable from Tesla for £295 + commando connector adapter £40 and get a commando connectio installed for about £100.
Seems much cheaper, you will have a spare UMC cable and get the full charging rate.

If it's like me, and the bulk of that cost is having to run a cable a long (or awkward route) then the command on the other end won't save as much. Obviously you aren't buying the wall charger but that's only sounding like 25% of his cost.