Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Australia questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all!
I'm waiting for my M3 to arrive and have been doing some research on the Homelink. Has anyone been able to buy one off Tesla's website? It won't seem to let me ship to Australia, and I can't find one on the Australian store
A lot of the threads and posts surrounding it are a few years old so I'd love some current feedback if anyone has any recent experience. I'm tracking the requirement to buy some form of 'emulator' to allow the garage receiver to use the 433mhz band but that's not something that worries me

Hey all!
I'm waiting for my M3 to arrive and have been doing some research on the Homelink. Has anyone been able to buy one off Tesla's website? It won't seem to let me ship to Australia, and I can't find one on the Australian store
A lot of the threads and posts surrounding it are a few years old so I'd love some current feedback if anyone has any recent experience. I'm tracking the requirement to buy some form of 'emulator' to allow the garage receiver to use the 433mhz band but that's not something that worries me
This is something I am looking into as well and have done a little more research into it.
Don't 100% quote me and hopefully some other people can give more insight into this as well.

I believe you can log a service request with Tesla once you get the vehicle and they can quote to install Homelink in the M3.
From what I have seen this is $480 installed into the vehicle.
Compatibility is the next step where Homelink works on a certain band and some garage doors will work with it natively (Merlin I heard works).
If you have a non compatible garage door then there is a module you can get to wire into your existing one and make it compatible with Homelink. (I can't remember what this is called sorry)

I hope this info helps a little.

Reactions: Ivan23
This is the relevant thread:

Reactions: ArdieLest
This is something I am looking into as well and have done a little more research into it.
Don't 100% quote me and hopefully some other people can give more insight into this as well.

I believe you can log a service request with Tesla once you get the vehicle and they can quote to install Homelink in the M3.
From what I have seen this is $480 installed into the vehicle.
Compatibility is the next step where Homelink works on a certain band and some garage doors will work with it natively (Merlin I heard works).
If you have a non compatible garage door then there is a module you can get to wire into your existing one and make it compatible with Homelink. (I can't remember what this is called sorry)

I hope this info helps a little.
Awesome that's exactly the info I was after. Any idea if they do mobile installs, or would I need to take it to the dealer to get it sorted? Haven't moved into my new house yet but I'll be double checking what the garage opener is

This is the relevant thread:
Thanks for the link, I already knew most of that stuff and I was more after the "where do I buy it from?" side of things

Awesome that's exactly the info I was after. Any idea if they do mobile installs, or would I need to take it to the dealer to get it sorted? Haven't moved into my new house yet but I'll be double checking what the garage opener is

Thanks for the link, I already knew most of that stuff and I was more after the "where do I buy it from?" side of things
I'm not sure about the mobile install. I am hoping so as I live 1,600kms from the closest service center and haven't received my car yet either :)

Hi Ivan,

Have you considered an alternative to Homelink?

Example, you can use a IoT power point, connected to a 12v power supply and relay to achieve the same outcome from your phone. The setup will cost you <$100 and provide additional flexibility to close open your garage door from your phone.

I am looking at it due to the minimalist approach of the car and just having a nice feature. The car was $81.5k so the cost of homelink is very small.
The only thing I can't seem to find an answer on is voice control for it. Can you say "Open Garage Door" and have it do it?

Thanks for all the feedback :)
I do understand there are IoT options available, I'll do some more research on that side of the fence. Perhaps I could combine the two, an IoT device that doubles as a receiver the Homelink can use. I just don't know what's around and what's compatible. Down the rabbit hole I go...

I don't want to replace my garage door openers, it's a brand new house!

And the cost doesn't bother me, what's an extra few hundred dollars for the sake of getting fully immersed in the Tesla eco-system. Gotta love capitalism

Reactions: 1001
Hey all!
It can only be arranged through the service part of Tesla app and is not a self install item, it involves fitting the HomeLink module behind the bumper and then enabling it (They connect to the car with a laptop). I had a mobile service guy come out and install it on my wife's 3 LR in under 30 mins.
I have the Merlin E8003 receivers fitted on my B & D doors.

It can only be arranged through the service part of Tesla app and is not a self install item, it involves fitting the HomeLink module behind the bumper and then enabling it (They connect to the car with a laptop). I had a mobile service guy come out and install it on my wife's 3 LR in under 30 mins.
I have the Merlin E8003 receivers fitted on my B & D doors.
Do you recall how much it set you back? Did you know your doors were compatible prior to installing it?