Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink auto close reliable for you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I envy those of you whose "Homelink" works even just "only once in a while." Mine has never worked at all. After the last update I was hoping that it would finally work but no luck. Whenever I get to the Service Center I will ask them about it but until then I'll just use the remote that came with the opener. My Volt works the garage door just fine and from a long distance but the Tesla? SIGH!
Do you ever pass the program step, when lights blink to confirm next step?

Also, got the another update last week. Homeland started working again. Auto close is still hit or miss but auto open and using it manually now works.

Just a reminder: it seems that if there are no radio waves on the icon (either when it should automatically open or close, or manually), it appears to be a bug in the software (which *is* in .40, but .42 seems to have fixed for many/most people). If the radio waves appear on the icon, it's probably a more expected Homelink issue (e.g. not programmed well or out of range).

Just a reminder: it seems that if there are no radio waves on the icon (either when it should automatically open or close, or manually), it appears to be a bug in the software (which *is* in .40, but .42 seems to have fixed for many/most people). If the radio waves appear on the icon, it's probably a more expected Homelink issue (e.g. not programmed well or out of range).
Didn't fix mine with the .42 update. Mine failed yesterday, with no auto or manual open/close and no sign of the radio wave icon. A reboot of the screen fixed it.

Anyone have this problem related to the home link?

I have a Lexus with the home link and it’s never had a problem opening and closing it through the rearview mirror.

This week when I programmed my new S 60, the Tesla home link worked flawlessly opening it up and closing it up automatically when I drove home and exit at my house.

However once I programmed the S60, my Lexus home link didn’t work. I reprogrammed the Lexus to operate, which it did perfectly, however my S 60 was disengaged from the Tesla homelink.

Went back-and-forth three times, and the same thing kept happening, I have only one of two cars that I can be able to use homelink on.

Anyway that I could be able to have both cars with home link at the same time?

It has been working ok for me, but I had one big issue. I was detailing one of my other cars, and had it parked halfway into the garage (just right so the safety detector was not inhibited under it. My Tesla was outside the garage, and I had to run to the store. As I started driving away.. ding.. the garage activates and closes right on top of the rear deck of my other car. Doh! Luckily there was no damage.

I’ve set up Homelink to change the camera from rear to front when I approach my parking space at home. When I’m within 25’ of the space the touchcreen view switches to the front camera so I can park without fear of hitting the curb with the front bumper. If I back in (which I do most of the time when I need to charge), the view autoimaticllly switches to the rear camera when I put the car in reverse.
is this one of your 21,000 modifications or am I missing out on a cool feature of the car?

Just wanted to give an update here. As of 2018.6.1, auto-open continues to work at near 100% levels. When I say “work” I mean the whole shebang - as approaching driveway, the countdown timer pops up on the MCU and when the countdown finishes, the chime goes off (if you’ve selected that option of course) and the garage door opens. All three of those things must happen for me to consider it “worked’. And it does. About 99.x% of the time. No more than twice in the last 6 months has it not worked.

Auto-close when leaving garage...that’s another story, reliability wise.

I think this had been getting more reliable prior to the update that introduced comfort exit (or whatever it was called). My theory is because that feature uses another profile to do it’s work that perhaps the switching of profiles when I get in (from the easy entry back to my regular profile) is introducing another variable into the already not-perfect situation. Or maybe it has nothing to do with that and is just a general regression. But in any case, I’d estimate current reliability of auto-close when leaving the garage at about 45-50%. Seems like roughly half of the time I have to manually close the garage. In all these situations where it doesn’t work, the countdown timer dialog never comes up. So at least I know that it will be one of those (many) days where I need to close it manually.

I just received 2018.10.4. Will see if this changes anything significantly. If it does, I’ll post again. Otherwise, it probably means it has remained about the same as above.