Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only feature MyQ provides is the door open/close status. A $20 generic wifi garage door controller from Amazon can do that for $0 per year. I'm happy with a $150 ebay Homelink to control the door in my Tesla then using the $20 door controller for the status, if I really need to know.
it's not just that, the homelink adapter, once paired to the door opener can open the door automatically once you drive back home and get close to your driveway without you having to press any buttons. once you are in the garage, just tap on the "Activate" button that shows up on the display on the top of map. When you leave the house and start driving that button is hidden, it only shows up when you get closer to home driving back from wherever. I think it's very neat implementation compared to having a manual opener or using a phone app or paying for subscription.

it's not just that, the homelink adapter, once paired to the door opener can open the door automatically once you drive back home and get close to your driveway without you having to press any buttons. once you are in the garage, just tap on the "Activate" button that shows up on the display on the top of map. When you leave the house and start driving that button is hidden, it only shows up when you get closer to home driving back from wherever. I think it's very neat implementation compared to having a manual opener or using a phone app or paying for subscription.
I haven't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been answered. Can it be set to not open the door when you pull in the driveway? That would be really annoying if it did.

I haven't read through this whole thread, so forgive me if this has been answered. Can it be set to not open the door when you pull in the driveway? That would be really annoying if it did.
Yep. Very configurable. You can set it to actuate the garage door opener/closer via a manual touch screen tap every time if you want. It's location aware - so Tesla's Homelink implementation offers an on screen button at arrival and departure. Along with being able to program automatic (or manual) door open and close - you also have the option to automatically fold/unfold mirrors, based on location/proximity (distance from the garage).

Reactions: Mike728
@greenmonk The one I got a few months ago looked new with bracket and hardware. The price from the seller current listing is $169 right now. I DM'd you. If you spend the next couple of days refreshing and searching you'll find one for $150 for sure. Or you could shoot for a used one for $50-$80 and get a bracket for $70 or $80.
so if you buy an listing from ebay will tesla come out to your home to install it for an extra fee ? ...

Also could you please DM me with the link. I have a 2023 MYLR

so if you buy an listing from ebay will tesla come out to your home to install it for an extra fee ? ...

Also could you please DM me with the link. I have a 2023 MYLR
Very doubtful. But you could try.

It's easy to do yourself. I did my M3 in 15min. Tesla did my Model Y in less time since the Rangers probably done it 100xs.

With the Model Y you need to pull the apron off, disconnect the fireman's loop, disconnect the Low Voltage battery, pop off the frunk switch panel, disconnect the cable to it then take the tub out. No tools needed except a 10mm socket to remove the tub and again to install the homelink bracket, then plug the HL module in.

Put it back together in reverse.

Then you go into the service menu in the car and navigate to the "homelink retrofit".

It's not difficult at all. Only need a 10mm socket and 10min or so of your time.

Plenty of videos on YouTube. Watch a few of them and you'll get the gist. Tesla also offers all of their service manuals for free online. I think the address is service.tesla.com you need to sign up for a subscription but it's free. It'll also step you through it.

Reactions: rub1k
Yes you can select to open, how far you are from the door when it should open or not open at all. Fold mirrors or not fold mirrors. Took 15 mins to install, if you follow instructions and the icon doesn’t show, lock doors and go away and come back in 10 mins and it should be there.

Hi Dave - Your string went cold. Did your VW Audi Homelink work in the MY? I am planning to try a similar install. Thanks.
You’d need to flash Tesla software onto the vw module. Which doesn’t look impossible with the right programmers, but you’d need someone to dump the Tesla firmware.

And since the DIY method to enable homelink has stopped working, not sure there’s a point anymore.

Reactions: akidesir