Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink DIY install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've considered doing this to my newly acquired Model 3... went on ebay to look at homelink module prices and just laughed. Some of these crackheads want $400 for a used module (and multiple posts for $350+). The cheapest is $150 though, not sure I'm ready for this potential headache, but I got so used to Homelink in my MY that I feel like an animal pressing a button on the remote.

My car is still new so I'm still debating what to do.

It's pretty simple to install. Here's a video of me doing it on my model y:

Reactions: VipinLJ and Tha_Ape
Well I just pulled the trigger, those videos made it look super simple. Plus $200 is enough of a savings for me to do it myself.
It's easier than in the videos. Just go slow. These cars are lego sets. Stuff snaps apart cleanly and pops together easily - IF you are patient and pay attention to how the fastening system works and don't apply to much force. If things don't come apart or go together easily/cleanly - stop and re-assess. Forcing = broken fasteners.

The hardest part is mounting the transmitter to the bumper side of the mounting bracket. Some sort of temp adhesive that holds the bolt into the ratchet will help a lot. The perimeter clips for the frunk liner/under windshield cover (that you need to slot into) are the ones to be careful with. Go slow. It's not hard.

I did mine in about 30 minutes. Really fun project and satisfying to set it up.

The hardest part is mounting the transmitter to the bumper side of the mounting bracket. Some sort of temp adhesive that holds the bolt into the ratchet will help a lot.

That was the part that raised an eyebrow. I had tesla do it on my Model Y and the ranger definitely put it on the bumper side of the support structure.

The video shows someone putting it on the frunk side, which apparently works. Still I'd rather do it the right way.

I put an auto frunk in my Y, this has to be easier than that! I was only a little concerned about the software part of homelink, but now that I've seen that video, it seems easy enough

That was the part that raised an eyebrow. I had tesla do it on my Model Y and the ranger definitely put it on the bumper side of the support structure.

The video shows someone putting it on the frunk side, which apparently works. Still I'd rather do it the right way.

I put an auto frunk in my Y, this has to be easier than that! I was only a little concerned about the software part of homelink, but now that I've seen that video, it seems easy enough
The software part is easier than the install part as you don't actually have to 'install' anything. Just unlock it with your foot and turn signal, reboot, open/close the door. Voila! Homelink.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
I ended up just using tailwind iq3 app (and their hardware to control my garage door opener). It won't of course integrate into the Tesla UI, but it has the auto-open and auto-close features just like the homelink module does, and has the app if you want do to it remotely. $80 - and is compatible with apple homekit / google home/assistant, smartthings etc.

Installed.

Spent more time figuring out where to mount it before going the easy route. I really wanted to mount it where Tesla does, but in the end, I didnt feel like pulling the bumper off. Also, module came with a regular 10mm bolt (not the one I see in all the other installs) so I'm not sure I'd fool any Tesla tech if that mattered (it did make the install just ever so slightly easier. )

Everything works, but it took a few cycles of various things. I had some issues with the homelink icon not showing up, but gave it time and it eventually did. My first trip back home also didnt auto-open the garage, but after I activated it manually it appeared in the bar like in my Model Y w/homelink.

Some of that stuff just takes a few cycles to hold. Had to restart my Tesla app to get homelink icons there, too (took a little bit for the homelink to appear in the widget as well).

TL;DR module works, took me more time deciding where to put the module than actually doing the rest.

Last edited:
Reactions: VipinLJ
Has anyone tired to remove Homelink from display after following the DIY steps and confirm everything can be put back the way it was in the settings before DIY? (Just in case if someone wanted to remove it before selling the car or taking it in for service).

For those who are saying it’s not showing after following all steps, Lock the car and walk away and come back in 10-15 mins and will be there.

Why not use MyQ as its already built into your Tesla. I believe it works the same with more features and $45.00 yearly.
I think mostly due to the "$45.00 yearly" part. Most people don't want another yearly subscription and can argue that it's not worth it, adds extra things to worry about (some don't want to hook up their garage door opener to WiFi, you're potentially adding another thing that can be hacked into), etc.

Also, not sure if all garage door openers are MyQ compatible but maybe they all are these days. Shrug.

Reactions: DC_Mike and EY2K
I think mostly due to the "$45.00 yearly" part. Most people don't want another yearly subscription and can argue that it's not worth it, adds extra things to worry about (some don't want to hook up their garage door opener to WiFi, you're potentially adding another thing that can be hacked into), etc.

Also, not sure if all garage door openers are MyQ compatible but maybe they all are these days. Shrug.
This. I have 2 Chamberlain MyQ doors, and I do not intend paying a dime to use my own garage doors.

Reactions: DC_Mike
The only feature MyQ provides is the door open/close status. A $20 generic wifi garage door controller from Amazon can do that for $0 per year. I'm happy with a $150 ebay Homelink to control the door in my Tesla then using the $20 door controller for the status, if I really need to know.

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Why not use MyQ as its already built into your Tesla. I believe it works the same with more features and $45.00 yearly.
I already had myq capable doors that were already setup in the app, and still went with homelink, despite it being more expensive, after doing the subscription trial. The garage door openers' wifi (I have 3) isn't great, so drops relatively often, despite every other device working well in the garage... and the beeping when closing that happens sometimes is also super annoying.

The only feature MyQ provides is the door open/close status. A $20 generic wifi garage door controller from Amazon can do that for $0 per year. I'm happy with a $150 ebay Homelink to control the door in my Tesla then using the $20 door controller for the status, if I really need to know.
Where are you finding the Homelink for $150 on ebay??? The cheapest I'm seeing is $180 + tax...so $194 for me. That's a lot more than $150. I would love to find one for only $150.