Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Homelink Installed at/before Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried without luck. Ended up canceling the Homelink and am currently considering other options. I’m very disappointed Tesla removed the hardware for this and made it such a hassle. If they put the module in the rear view mirror instead of the front bumper, it could be a DIY.

So did you order HomeLink as soon as they added a VIN to your account? I noticed that the store requires you to enter a VIN to even purchase.

Actually you can still purchase before VIN is assigned, as I did.. and a couple days later I got an email showing the VIN attached before I knew one was assigned.

Automatic Garage Opener
None
SKU: 1508524-00-A
QTY: 1
Vehicle VIN: 5YJ3E1EB6KF451887
Install At Dallas-Cedar Springs Road
You will be contacted by the service center to schedule your installation.

They attached the VIN once it was assigned.

Same thing happened to me. I placed my order on 7/17 for the car. Ordered the Homelink on 7/19 and received an email that the order was on hold due to missing information (the VIN number). Got an email 2 hours after that saying the order was confirmed and it listed the VIN number that I hadn’t even gotten yet.

Unfortunately I picked up the car last Friday 7/26, and the hardware hadn’t shipped yet, so they couldn’t install it prior to the delivery. I still haven’t heard anything on shipment, and I even emailed yesterday for an update with no response yet. I’m trying to be patient, but I feel like a caveman using my old clicker again :D.

• Informative
Reactions: sleevin
Same thing happened to me. I placed my order on 7/17 for the car. Ordered the Homelink on 7/19 and received an email that the order was on hold due to missing information (the VIN number). Got an email 2 hours after that saying the order was confirmed and it listed the VIN number that I hadn’t even gotten yet.

Unfortunately I picked up the car last Friday 7/26, and the hardware hadn’t shipped yet, so they couldn’t install it prior to the delivery. I still haven’t heard anything on shipment, and I even emailed yesterday for an update with no response yet. I’m trying to be patient, but I feel like a caveman using my old clicker again :D.

Wherr are you located?

Seriously? What a sh*tty experience this whole thing is. If they can't get it installed promptly at the service centers then they should just go back to doing it at the factory. When you order a BMW there are all kinds of options you can add-on that are installed at the factory or at the port. No reason Tesla couldn't make this an option like that. Just have someone at the factory that takes these cars into a special stall and installs the options before they get on the truck. Why make the customer wait weeks/months for the part after they've already got their car?

Seriously? What a sh*tty experience this whole thing is. If they can't get it installed promptly at the service centers then they should just go back to doing it at the factory. When you order a BMW there are all kinds of options you can add-on that are installed at the factory or at the port. No reason Tesla couldn't make this an option like that. Just have someone at the factory that takes these cars into a special stall and installs the options before they get on the truck. Why make the customer wait weeks/months for the part after they've already got their car?

You can’t compare BMW to Tesla. It makes perfect sense that these upgrades happen after the purchase.

You can’t compare BMW to Tesla. It makes perfect sense that these upgrades happen after the purchase.

Why not? They sell similarly priced cars frequently referred to being in the same class. I mean the Model 3 is basically the same price as a BMW 3 series bottom to top. (a bare bones 330i is about $36k, a top of the line 340i is about $62k)

And why does it make "perfect sense that these upgrades happen after the purchase"? They have to take the whole bumper off to install it. It seems like it would make more sense to install something like that before you put the bumper on in the first place. If they wanted it to be an aftermarket part they should have put it in the mirror instead. Or under the hood somewhere. Somewhere that a consumer could reasonably install it themselves.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
FWIW I ordered my homelink about a day or so after I took delivery of my 3 and never received delivery or shipping notification of the item. About a week ago I received a text from the service dept that it was in stock and that they were combining the install with another appointment I already had set up.

Mine will be installed in two weeks (8/14) and I CANNOT WAIT.

Why not? They sell similarly priced cars frequently referred to being in the same class. I mean the Model 3 is basically the same price as a BMW 3 series bottom to top. (a bare bones 330i is about $36k, a top of the line 340i is about $62k)

And why does it make "perfect sense that these upgrades happen after the purchase"? They have to take the whole bumper off to install it. It seems like it would make more sense to install something like that before you put the bumper on in the first place. If they wanted it to be an aftermarket part they should have put it in the mirror instead. Or under the hood somewhere. Somewhere that a consumer could reasonably install it themselves.

Because there's no option to purchase HomeLink at the point of purchase, to simplify the buying process for Tesla. What if you bought the car with this and that option, and took advantage of Tesla's 1000 mile/7-day return policy? Then Tesla has to allocate effort to list the car differently etc etc.

It's not worth it to them. I get why it's annoying to you - as it would be to me - but it makes sense.