Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HomeLink on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm also pondering this...
I think i would prefer to have it done at the house to make sure it can pair with the garage door while a tech is there.

I have this on my Model S and on another car for both my garage and gate. It was a pain to setup. If you need any help just ask. I found that DEA gates work fine but Horrman garage doors needed a third party bit of kit for it too work.

Personally, even if they would let you, I wouldn't confuse pickup with getting accessories fitted.

Bit of dilemma paying for Homelink if you don't know if its going to work or not.

There is a (non exhaustive) compatibility guide at https://homelink.com/assets/downloads/homelink_ukenglish.pdf

We got 1 of our 3 remotes successfully paired - our basic 433Mhz ones didn't work. I could probably fit a compatibility unit to one of them such as Chamberlain Universal repeater but I won't know if it will work without opening my garage door controller and doing a bit more research.

As we ordered in May, it was part of spec, but if I paid £300 I would be a little disapointed that it doesn't seem to work with basic remotes. It will hopefully come into its own on the gates that it should open as that removes any need to fumble with remote whilst still on public road.

Last edited:
Personally, even if they would let you, I wouldn't confuse pickup with getting accessories fitted.

Bit of dilemma paying for Homelink if you don't know if its going to work or not.

There is a (non exhaustive) compatibility guide at https://homelink.com/assets/downloads/homelink_ukenglish.pdf

We got 1 of our 3 remotes successfully paired - our basic 433Mhz ones didn't work. I could probably fit a compatibility unit to one of them such as Chamberlain Universal repeater but I won't know if it will work without opening my garage door controller and doing a bit more research.

As we ordered in May, it was part of spec, but if I paid £300 I would be a little disapointed that it doesn't seem to work with basic remotes. It will hopefully come into its own on the gates that it should open as that removes any need to fumble with remote whilst still on public road.

I have one of the Chamberlain Universal Repeaters and it works fine. You just need to run some bell wire from your existing garage door opener.

I have one of the Chamberlain Universal Repeaters and it works fine. You just need to run some bell wire from your existing garage door opener.

I have HomeLink installled in my M3P and have been unable to get it to pair with my (admittedly old) Novoferm Novotron garage opener. That repeater looks like just what I need. I have a switch already wired on the garage wall with bell wire, so I presume it would be a pretty simple install for someone like me with very little (no) technical skill?

We also have a shared entrance gate that uses a fixed code remote and the HomeLink was a simple setup for that, so I’m halfway there. In reality, the security gate operation with HomeLink made it worth the cost to me, but getting it to operate the garage would be great.

Externally we have a single button on control that toggles through open, close, stop. On remote its separate open and close. So I am not sure how these will map on to each other. I probably just want to use car to open door - fine manually closing it. Until I open unit, I wont see how that single button is wired in. I've got install instructions for a slightly different version to ours, but that has 3 external buttons.

How do the 2 contacts on Chamberlain unit map onto control units. How do you tell homelink to differentiate between open and close - different profiles? I might be able to come up with a use for a second discreet channel...

Despite reserving the car in July 2017 when homelink was free of charge, do they still charge for it as an add on now ?

If you fully paid for the feature, you locked in the price which was free.

However, if you just put in a deposit, the prices and features can change at any time and if you don't like the changes, you just don't pay for them.

One exception is the CyberTruck that has a clear statement that your deposit guarantees the price of Full Self Driving for $7,000. But other prices and features can change at any time.

Externally we have a single button on control that toggles through open, close, stop. On remote its separate open and close. So I am not sure how these will map on to each other. I probably just want to use car to open door - fine manually closing it. Until I open unit, I wont see how that single button is wired in. I've got install instructions for a slightly different version to ours, but that has 3 external buttons.

How do the 2 contacts on Chamberlain unit map onto control units. How do you tell homelink to differentiate between open and close - different profiles? I might be able to come up with a use for a second discreet channel...

I have a Horrman garage door that’s button cycles through open stop and close. The home link works with that. I’ve only mapped one button.

Reactions: MrBadger
Just spoke to Tesla. They can't do it until it's delivered but they will do it via the ranger service. They didn't know the cost but will get back to me.

£265 for the part and installation. Mine was done via the mobile service at my office. I have a 6 year old Chamberlain Comfort and it paired immediately without any additional hardware required.

• Informative
Reactions: xnetco